- Aug 3, 2019
Looks a little better now ...
A wooden brake may give you a brown seat at times...Finally got some S100 cleaner. That sure removes the gunk! Still a few spots on the head that are hard to get to but I’ll attack them next time. I’m sure the runoff from that cleaner will kill a few salmon. Next I took some rubbing compound to the tank. I was able to get it a lot better and two coats of wax gave it some shine. Hit all the chrome and aluminum and stainless too. It’s starting to look presentable although the wear and tear is still quite obvious. The new Avon RoadRider Mk II tire on the rear is a welcome addition. There were a few spots on the old tire where you could barely make out the tread.
I forgot to add that I wiped the seat down and it just came up brown on the towel. I’m not sure I’ll ever get that basket weave clean.
For god sake its a norton put it back together and ride the dam thingThe kid made some progress yesterday - removing the high-rider bars and the hillbilly exhaust with carriage bolt fasteners. I confirmed the head type code of RH4, but have a lead on a head stamped RH10, though it's also had some work to repair the threads in the exhaust ports. I was told the weld shows, and not suitable for restoration but fine to use as a runner. I'm waiting to talk with the kid and photos of the RH10 to determine if this will be alright with him.
Where we're at now.... The motor and front isolastic are out, gear box and rear isolastic with cradle will be coming out today and then we'll be taking apart the front end. I've received the replacement cylinder head, waiting to hear back from James Comstock regarding thread insert repair on the RH10 cylinder head.
Where we're at now....
Derek, that is one gorgeous bike.Here are a couple of pictures of my '72 Combat.