Video: 750 Norton Commando

Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
114
Country flag
Nice video,nice bike. exhausts seems to pop and backfire as it decelerates. Is this caused by over rich mixture or maybe air being sucked into the exhaust through a joint?

I'dlike to unde4rstand what this guy is saying can maybe HEWHO interpret for us.

What are the mods he does at the end?

I know questions questions and more questions like a little kid with a new toy arn't I!!
 

L.A.B.

Moderator
VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
18,217
Country flag
You're lucky, the video won't work for me!


Edit
______________________________________

OK, I've watched the video clip now.

(My Norton!! Internet Security system ad blocker wasn't allowing it!)
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
747
Hey, did you all see the lock rings on the exhaust nuts?

I too heard what sounded like popping through the exhaust, perhaps the pilot/slow jet is too lean? Or, was it simply "production" noise from the film crew :wink:
 
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,400
Country flag
He's aligning the wheels, they looked out of line on one of the clips to me. :roll:

Cash

PS Great though and he used great safe machinery much like my own.
 
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
2
popping through the exhaust

don't all Commandos do that? I bought mine back in '73 and it always popped like that. I thought it was normal.

I guess I still have a lot to learn.

This is my first post here, I'm very happy that I found this forum. I have a '72 Combat Commando Roadster that I bought new at Schleicher Motors in Oakland CA with my first paycheck from my first job. My beautiful bike is now a wreck, but I am gearing up for a restoration. This seems like the place to go for info and experience.
 
Joined
Mar 19, 2005
Messages
696
Thats French, not my specialty but there is one fellow on the forum that is French, and I'm sure he will help. Can't be that complicated though. We all speak about the same things, HP, capacity, model type, and a lot of bragging to top it all off. Just read between the lines and you will get what he says.

Indeed nice footage in parts of the film...some angles that must have been tough to get and some well selected music too, to get the blood flowing. Nice curves and pretty countryside. Never been down there in that area.

Another bike link on the same page...

http://www.moto-station.com/article2950-passion-une-commando-tres-speciale-.html
 
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
157
hewhoistoolazytologin said:
Indeed nice footage in parts of the film...some angles that must have been tough to get and some well selected music too, to get the blood flowing.

I was salivating a bit over that front brake. Being somewhat in the middle "age-wise" in this group, most of the bikes I've owned have a front disk brake. I have to admit the front drum is an aesthetic treat. Wonder if it stops well?

Here's a Grimeca from the terrific http://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/ website:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4094 ... ub1hq7.jpg

Don't come cheap, though. Still....

hewhoistoolazytologin, n i c e find on the Fastback. Spiffy bike!

Cheers--

wrench
 
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
157
Re: popping through the exhaust

Jon Hundt said:
don't all Commandos do that? I bought mine back in '73 and it always popped like that. I thought it was normal.

I guess I still have a lot to learn.

This is my first post here, I'm very happy that I found this forum. I have a '72 Combat Commando Roadster that I bought new at Schleicher Motors in Oakland CA with my first paycheck from my first job. My beautiful bike is now a wreck, but I am gearing up for a restoration. This seems like the place to go for info and experience.

Welcome Mr. Hundt! You held on to that goodly bike with good reason, me thinks. Mine "popped a bit too," before I tore her apart. We'll see come this Spring what happens. The folks here won't let you down, based on my own limited experience. Ask away, if it isn't answered right away, ask again. Someone here will help you out.

Have at that '72 Combat, dude!

wrench
 
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
2
thanks for the kind welcome. I will be laying low, reading a lot for a while. I gotta lotta catchin' up to do. I wish the internet was around the first time I adjusted my valves back in '74!
 

Ron L

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
3,114
Country flag
Wrench,
That Gimeca 4LS is definitely a pretty thing. However, at 9.6 kg is a lot of unsprung weight.

I know a number of guys that have adapted a 4LS hub from an early Suzuki water buffalo (GT750 watercoole triple two stroke). It must be narrowed , but there is plenty of metal left. These are not as easy to find as they once were, as the vintage racers are grabbing them for use in the classes where disc brakes are not allowed. A poor man's Grimeca.

I understand they work better than the stock 2LS and nearly as well as a good stock disc setup.
 
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
157
Ron L said:
Wrench,
That Gimeca 4LS is definitely a pretty thing. However, at 9.6 kg is a lot of unsprung weight.

I know a number of guys that have adapted a 4LS hub from an early Suzuki water buffalo (GT750 watercoole triple two stroke). It must be narrowed , but there is plenty of metal left. These are not as easy to find as they once were, as the vintage racers are grabbing them for use in the classes where disc brakes are not allowed. A poor man's Grimeca.

I understand they work better than the stock 2LS and nearly as well as a good stock disc setup.

Thanks Ron. That's a nifty tip. I did a quick check on Ebay and found this:

http://tinyurl.com/2vftrl

They seem to be in demand as you say. But definitely something to keep in mind. There really is something appealing about a front drum.

Appreciate the info!

wrench
 
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
59
Hi All - I had a look at the video GREAT JOB!!! Love the camera work!

This is a rough translation...
- A day with Norton
- 48 Norton's first twin
- 67 Norton's first 750
- 71 model shown
- transmission & engine are separate
- 180 kms if conditions are right, ha...
- 180 kilo
- 60 hp
- alumium engine parts
- "fantastic" motor
- speaker is a collector of 750's
- front forks prone to clang on rebound, braking will help
- double cam front brake........

Note: My guess re: the popping is a lean mixture, (sucking air at joints between the engine & carb, or needs carb work)??

I know my commando doesn't pop...
 

L.A.B.

Moderator
VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
18,217
Country flag
Biker-man said:
This is a rough translation...

- 48 Norton's first twin

- 67 Norton's first 750

The company did make vertical twins from 1948, but they had made various V twin models from around 1903.

1962 actually being the first year that Norton offered a "750"cc model (Atlas).
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
747
Wow there L.A.B., I didn’t know that Norton made a 750cc twin way back in 1962; that's phenomenal!

I don't think that Triumph or BSA produced engines with that much displacement until the 70s. It seems that Norton was ahead of the game in the displacement department.
 

Ron L

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
3,114
Country flag
It seems that Norton was ahead of the game in the displacement department.

Not really. Vincent and Brough Superior had 1000cc twins in the thirties and forties and Royal Enfield had a 700cc vertical twin in the '50's. I'm sure there were others, but these come to mind.
 
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
1,691
I am doing a 1958 Apache R.E. Indian 700 twin has the high compression Connie motor I will post pictures soon it's a brute for sure.
 
Top