Petcock Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
2
Does anyone know where I can get replacement filters for my new petcocks?
I got the petcocks complete last year and I found one of the filters to have a hole in it. I can't remember where I got them though.
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
2,904
Country flag
When I restored my Combat some nine years ago I had a dirty tank I couldn't clean. No matter how much flushing I did I would end up with silt in the carbs. I ran across Pingel filters in a H-D aftermaket shop. Haven't had a problem since I installed them. Put crimp ferrules on the hose ends instead of hose clamps and you'll have a nice looking installation too. My suggestion would be to forget the stock screens and go with the Pingels.

http://www.pingelonline.com/fuel_filters.htm
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
748
Country flag
alcabe said:
Does anyone know where I can get replacement filters for my new petcocks?
I got the petcocks complete last year and I found one of the filters to have a hole in it. I can't remember where I got them though.

How about fitting some of these in the line after the petcock. They will filter a lot better than the mesh inside the tank.

http://www.oldbritts.com/13_065192mfk.html
 
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
2
Thanks guys. I think you're right, the inline filters are the way to go.
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
748
Country flag
alcabe said:
Thanks guys. I think you're right, the inline filters are the way to go.

You can buy these at a lot of different motorcycle supply places. I showed the photo from Old Britts just for convenience.
 
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
1,451
Country flag
JimC said:
When I restored my Combat some nine years ago I had a dirty tank I couldn't clean. No matter how much flushing I did I would end up with silt in the carbs. I ran across Pingel filters in a H-D aftermaket shop. Haven't had a problem since I installed them. Put crimp ferrules on the hose ends instead of hose clamps and you'll have a nice looking installation too. My suggestion would be to forget the stock screens and go with the Pingels.

http://www.pingelonline.com/fuel_filters.htm

hose Pingel filters look really good. What size did yiu go with? I can't sem to find a size that coincides with standarsd fuel line. Isn't Commando fuel line 1/4" ?
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
2,904
Country flag
To tell you the truth I don't recall what size those Pingels are. I may have the receipt, but I get a little ill every time I drag out that rather voluminous file of Norton receipts. Know what I mean?
 
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
1,451
Country flag
JimC said:
... but I get a little ill every time I drag out that rather voluminous file of Norton receipts. Know what I mean?

Do I ever.
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
748
Country flag
lit
Coco said:
JimC said:
When I restored my Combat some nine years ago I had a dirty tank I couldn't clean. No matter how much flushing I did I would end up with silt in the carbs. I ran across Pingel filters in a H-D aftermaket shop. Haven't had a problem since I installed them. Put crimp ferrules on the hose ends instead of hose clamps and you'll have a nice looking installation too. My suggestion would be to forget the stock screens and go with the Pingels.

http://www.pingelonline.com/fuel_filters.htm

hose Pingel filters look really good. What size did yiu go with? I can't sem to find a size that coincides with standarsd fuel line. Isn't Commando fuel line 1/4" ?

The 5/16 should work don't you think? Those look like very nice filters. I like the 1 into 2 split right at the filter. Do they make a 2 into 1? That would be great for Commandos with a Mikuni conversion.
 
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,740
Country flag
+1. I have good mesh filters in my petcocks, but run modern inline fuel filters in the fuel lines to the carbs. Cheap insurance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top