Discussion in 'Triumph (Classic)' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 4, 2019.
Run that adapter plate up in CAD so you can CNC them out on command and then open the order book.
Whilst that’s a good idea, I don’t possess such exotica!
Hammer and chisel and perhaps a file if I’m feeling posh.
I do have a mate who could do it your aforementioned exotic way though, I might ask him to help out. Again.
I am at home with flue bored to death I can't even be bothered to comment on you know what anyway I hope this verbiage helps the thinking process
I made a pair for my DL1000 a while ago using the Val Singleton Blue Peter methord. First I carried out the essential plumbing, front wheel touching the bench. Position the caliper and pump hold the lever in into the bar with an elastic band. Once everything was on fixed centres I cut out at a cardboard pattern or two when I was happy with the shape I greased up the flat surfaces surrounding the caliper mounting bolt holes and I guess you will have to grease the stud ends on the forks (or fit bolts and adjust the to the same height as the caliper mount, pressed on the cardboard pattern punched out the holes with gasket punches you can mark the exact centres for phase 2. Transferred the cardboard pattern to a piece of 3 mm steel cut that out and bolted the plate on to the caliper ( if you don't have sufficient clearance between the back face of the caliper and the disc for a nut Pop a helicoil or similar in the in the caliper. I then turned up spacers to fill the gap between plate and forks bolted the lot up together up you can take a test ride on the 3mm plates Once you have progressed to this stage you have all the information you need to make the ally/ti brackets of your dreams, I used ti bolts on my final fit-up. I only had a week of evenings to make these, and only my Clarke CL500m (its not really a mill more of a pillar drill) to work with prior to a touring holiday in the Pyrenees. The Michelin Pilot road tyres copped well with the increase in stopping power but the forks dived like a nuclear sub A set of Hagon progressives turned up on departure day I fitted them during the trip the tarmac armchair stopped and handled pretty well and the SV1000 top end helped it to jog on nicely. The sixpots were a left over from the ZRX 1200 up grade
P.S don't forget to ask for the Corn flake Packet
Wish you lived on my street !
That's sad news about Paul Fields I didn't know that he had died
I bought a pair of his semi floating 300mm disks plus adaptors for the front of my t160 and a light weight rear disc
It was a very good service
Condolences to his wife and family
On my commando I have a single 320mm disc a 12mm master cylinder and a 4 pot nissin it really is a good brake with loads of feel
I reckon your set up will be very good when you get the adapter made
Initial rough cut caliper bracket. I’m pleased with it so far. Next step is beatification and lightening.
Sweet. Now maybe a lighter rim?
Yeah, that bugs me! But rims, spokes, tyres, are all new. And as the bike is otherwise fairly stock, and it’s intended use doesn’t involve track days etc, I’m leaving it be... for now...
FE leaving something alone? Bring me the smelling salts...
Maybe scope for a few ti fasteners around the caliper and the carrier
Be quiet at the back, or I’ll set my bank manager on you.
Or worse... the Missus...
Funnily enough... ti fasteners are on their way...
Nobody likes prophets.....
We have progress...
Very nice setup!
Yes, very nice....This is the Ducati 320mm disc and Brembo caliper on my T140D.14mm Brembo knock off master cylinder..The 41mm forks are 95 Honda 750 Interceptor..Nothing fancy but it stops like, well, a Ducati,lol.. What's interesting is the Ducati disc bolt pattern matched up perfectly to the stock Triumph Morris cast wheel with a spacer I made.
It’s that good!
The devil makes work for idle hands, or so they say...
The weather hasn’t been much for riding, so I got to fiddling. I wanted an easier clutch pull, but I also wanted to tighten the springs up more, and I needed a 13mm master cylinder for the Brembo caliper, and I wanted dog leg levers...
So, I decided to fit a hydraulic clutch conversion. I had a 13mm Brembo clutch master cyl on the shelf, so I got a matching brake master cyl. This entailed new switchgear and wiring which was something of a PITA. But now it’s all done I’m very pleased.
I fitted an alloy rear caliper and braided hose whilst I was in brake mode.
Just need some decent weather now to test it all out.
First test ride today...
Front brake is good, although I confess I was hoping for more. I only did a few miles though so it will improve further.
Hydraulic clutch is excellent. I wound the springs in to a point that would have been painful before and it’s fine. Seems to release better too, like, neutral at standstill every time, on a Triumph...!
I did try different gear oil this time though, it’s Bel-Ray V Twin Sport. Between that and the clutch, I’ve now got one super sweet box!
All in all, a good result.