Ignition bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
May 11, 2007
Messages
97
Anybody know of an alternative mount for the ignition switch (pre-MkIII)? I'd like to ditch the big airbox back plate since I have a single carb/K&N combo now but can't since it's the only place i can mount the ignition switch.
I'd also like something that looks clean. My metal fab equipment is basically limited to a hammer and a large arsenal of expletives, so making something myself that looks like it's supposed to be there is mostly out of the question...
 
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
198
I replaced the air box mounted ign. switch with a piece of stainless steel sheet bolted to the front of the battery housing, it is about 4" square with a hole punched in to accept the ign. switch. It looks like it belongs there and is unobtrusive. James.
 
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
1,691
On the Fastbacks because of the side cover being more forward I came up with this arrangement. I like the key on the left the rubber cover ends up upside down so I take it off leaving the shroud. You just delete the delron spacer for Roadsters.
Ignition bracket
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
1,616
Country flag
Mine is just like norbsa's except without the spacer as I'm running Roadster side panels. It's easy to fabricate - procure a strip of sheet metal, punch a hole in one end, drill two 1/4 inch holes in the other end for mounting, bend into an L.

For the finishing touch, I gave it a nice coat of gloss black Rustoleum 8)
I don't have the rubber boot though :oops: Haven't had any problems with rain however.

Debby
 
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
1,451
Country flag
debby said:
Mine is just like norbsa's except without the spacer as I'm running Roadster side panels. It's easy to fabricate - procure a strip of sheet metal, punch a hole in one end, drill two 1/4 inch holes in the other end for mounting, bend into an L.

For the finishing touch, I gave it a nice coat of gloss black Rustoleum 8)
I don't have the rubber boot though :oops: Haven't had any problems with rain however.

Debby

I'm thinking of going this route with a MKIII and ditching the ignition on the center console. I'm thinking of this, but it requires welding onto the frame:

http://www.pro-one.com/Weld_On_Chopper_ ... 401460.htm

Your's and Norbsa's method seems easier but I never seem to want to take the easy way out. Afterall, I did buy a Commando. :wink:
 
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
22
I have single carb conversion so lost the air box back plate. I have drilled the side panel just like the early models, it looks and works fine and is easy to locate for lights on and off when on the move. :D
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
1,616
Country flag
Coco said:
I'm thinking of going this route with a MKIII and ditching the ignition on the center console. I'm thinking of this, but it requires welding onto the frame:

h

Coco,

Give Matt a call. The CNW bikes are fitted with a custom console that looks really sharp. I've heard Matt's considering putting a kit together for sale.

Debby
 
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
748
Country flag
Scheffy.G said:
Anybody know of an alternative mount for the ignition switch (pre-MkIII)? I'd like to ditch the big airbox back plate since I have a single carb/K&N combo now but can't since it's the only place i can mount the ignition switch.
I'd also like something that looks clean. My metal fab equipment is basically limited to a hammer and a large arsenal of expletives, so making something myself that looks like it's supposed to be there is mostly out of the question...

I made one myself out of aluminum bar stock from Home Depot. Took a bit of work but all I had were basic tools and some polishing gear. Here are some photos showing what it looks like:

Ignition bracket


Ignition bracket
 
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
1,451
Country flag
debby said:
Coco said:
I'm thinking of going this route with a MKIII and ditching the ignition on the center console. I'm thinking of this, but it requires welding onto the frame:

h

Coco,

Give Matt a call. The CNW bikes are fitted with a custom console that looks really sharp. I've heard Matt's considering putting a kit together for sale.

Debby

I've actually bugged him to sell me one before but he didn't really want to. But, that was last year before I bought a boat-load of parts from him and he's been doing things for me that he normally doesn't to customers just buying parts so maybe I'll ask him again. I know he said it would be like $800 if he were to sell me one :shock: but that was last year. I'm sure if he made a kit to sell it would be cheaper. By how much one can only speculate.

Maybe I'll hit him up again when I send my engine in to them for a rebuild soon. I'm sure a hefty rebuild bill might soften them up a bit so they will sell me that console.

I am kind of designing my own right now as well but their's is probably way nicer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top