Finally finished the rear brake conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron L

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
3,197
Country flag
I finally got around to finishing the conversion to a matching Brembo rear brake on the 850 test mule. It wasn't too difficult after I figured out what parts I needed. It is essentially a Ducati 900SS CR item, although Monster and ST units of certain vintage will work also. It took a minimum of machining and fabricating a disc adaptor plate from 3/16 6061 aluminum. The purists won't like the five bolt pattern hub to six bolt pattern disc mismatch, but when mounted is not very noticeable. It must take a good 3 pounds of unsprung weight off the swingarm.
Finally finished the rear brake conversion

Finally finished the rear brake conversion

Finally finished the rear brake conversion
 
Rear brake

Very nice Ron
I am trying to fit a pair of Spondon wheels to my road bike & have a small Brembo to fit to the rear. I was going to make a bracket with an attachment to the slot on the other side from the drum brake plate slot, using an underslung bracket. Your use of the shock mount looks simple & effective.

Nice
all the best Chris
 
rear brake conversion

Ron, very masterful installation, on a tastily set up Commando. Any chance of a couple of off side views to see your master cyl. set-up?
jt
 
Here's the primary side. Unfortunately, I don't have any shots of the master cylinder as it is mounted on the plate at the end of the main frame tube. This is cable operated from a bell crank with a knurled handlebar adjuster on the end of the cable for adjustment. I'll try to get some shots of the installation, but it isn't very glamorous as it is hidden under the seat.

Finally finished the rear brake conversion
 
Here's a shot of the mastercylinder. As I said this part is not very pretty, Someday I'll take this apart and redo the bracketry in stainless, but for now it is pretty much just painted steel plate. Also excuse the bad paint on the frame. This bike is a true "bitsa" and gets ridden rather than cleaned and polished.
Finally finished the rear brake conversion

These little Airheart units are not easy to find, but I bet a mastercylinder from a dirtbike could be made to work similarly/
 
Ron, that looks great. I bet that thing can really stop on a dime now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top