I did fit a early 750gt watercoold triple 4ls in a set of raodholders a long time ago all that needs doing is machining a bit off both brake plates I must have some pics of those if I do find them I ll post them
Brake was not what I expected but since I have seen them on other bikes and people said it worked ok I was not impressed with mine
I fitted a Suzuki 4 leader to my race bike. Once the shoes had been replaced & skimmed it was very good. Since replaced by a Grimeca just as good but much lighter. Its still to heavy. A good Commando twin leader with modern shoes drum skimmed & shoes machined to fit. With the bracing plate extended arms & cables where the outer does not collapse/ compress is more than the standard front tyre can cope with.
all the best Chris
Chris, that's a lot of modifications, can you give us some more details and insight, I would really appreciate it as I haven't bothered with the Norton brake for years and have exhausted the expensive disk modifications ad infinitum?
I am in the garage at the weekend & will photograph the backplate. les emery at fair spares sells them. The brake shoe pivots are different ie machined so that the plate sits on top of them. The brake arm modification was in the Norton notes. I will trace that & send you details.
The cables are simple. I went to Johnstones who have cables where the outer is such good quality that it does not compress. Massive difference, as with my home made cables after my first few rides I had sometimes used up half of my cable adjustment to get them set up again. The only other think to note is chamfering the leading edges, then check to see that the main bodies of the shoes is contacting the hub. When bolting it all up, bounce the front end pull the brake on then lock up the front spindle.
all the best Chris
I did a fair bit of machining to make mine fit. The first thing I did was to remove the bearings and cut the holes deeper to put two smaller bearings (thinner) but by doing so, I could use the stock Norton front axle. The bearings I used are SKF 6003-2RS.
Then I machined the backing plates a bit, I don't remember how much, but I could take measurements if you are interested. I had the speedo drive welded up but the aluminium is of low grade so there are some holes which I patched up with epoxy. The center was beefed up and a steel insert put in, if this is not done, the brake plates will squich and deform from the Commando axle and make them very hard to remove. The stock Suzuki axle is smaller and held on differently in the forks on a GT750 and does not force the brake plates inwards. To make it look nice, I painted the whole thing black.
I had this brake on my Fastback, looked nice, but it was not well set up, this time I'm doing it better and hope it performs as it should. I have the proper Suzuki front brake lever and the stock Suzuki brake cables so that should help. And yes, it is heavy (Il'l weigh it tomorrow)
I have it laced to a WM3 18" Sun rim from Bucchanan's with SS spokes. This whole assembly is going on my Featherbed based café racer.