Oil cooler installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

acadian

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
1,290
Country flag
Picked up a Jagg oil cooler for a steal (broken link removed) and the p-clamps finally arrived this evening. The whole install took only 20 mins. I chose the location mostly for ease of access to the oil lines. Given that the bike now incorporates both an oil cooler, filter as well as the anti sump valve, I think I'll start running 20/50 in her rather than the straight 50 I've been using to date.

Oil cooler installation

Oil cooler installation
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
450
Country flag
That's a nice tidy-looking installation.

I run a Hyde bottle-brush cooler with thermostat--it doesn't open flow to the cooler below 165 degrees F. I'm out on the bike every day the streets are dry all through the year. Since I removed the oil-tank side cover I've noticed that the bulk oil temperature gets no higher than 80-100 F on freezing days--maybe 120 or so after a tollway run.

If you ride regularly in non-summer months you might consider installing a thermostat or bypass circuit. That cooler looks like it can dissipate plenty of heat--summer or winter.


Tim Kraakevik
kraakevik@voyager.net
'72 Combat and two Norton E-Bay choppers
 

acadian

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
1,290
Country flag
kraakevik@voyagernet said:
That's a nice tidy-looking installation.

I run a Hyde bottle-brush cooler with thermostat--it doesn't open flow to the cooler below 165 degrees F. I'm out on the bike every day the streets are dry all through the year. Since I removed the oil-tank side cover I've noticed that the bulk oil temperature gets no higher than 80-100 F on freezing days--maybe 120 or so after a tollway run.

If you ride regularly in non-summer months you might consider installing a thermostat or bypass circuit. That cooler looks like it can dissipate plenty of heat--summer or winter.


Tim Kraakevik
kraakevik@voyager.net
'72 Combat and two Norton E-Bay choppers

Do you see the cooler run without a by-pass as potentially problematic?
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
2,983
Country flag
Acadian,

What did you use for ferrules on the S.S. fuel line? I see the oil lines are terminated with clamps. I'm changing my fuel line to braided S.S. now and would like to know what you used and how you crimped them.
 

acadian

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
1,290
Country flag
JimC said:
Acadian,

What did you use for ferrules on the S.S. fuel line? I see the oil lines are terminated with clamps. I'm changing my fuel line to braided S.S. now and would like to know what you used and how you crimped them.

The fuel line was bought pre-made, eBay I believe. The oil lines are simply finished with chrome hose caps.
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
2,983
Country flag
They look like normal "hose finishers", which are a type of push-on screw-clamp, and not a crimp fitting

I see that's the case with the oil lines, which I have exactly the same, but I was referring to the fuel lines. They have a crimped ferrule, no?
 

L.A.B.

Moderator
VIP MEMBER
Joined
Nov 20, 2004
Messages
18,489
Country flag
JimC said:
They look like normal "hose finishers", which are a type of push-on screw-clamp, and not a crimp fitting

I see that's the case with the oil lines, which I have exactly the same, but I was referring to the fuel lines. They have a crimped ferrule, no?

Yes, sorry Jim, I misread your question.
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
2,983
Country flag
L.A.B.,

No problem. I will say I've never seen you slip before. I've done it many times.
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
450
Country flag
Do you see the cooler run without a by-pass as potentially problematic?

Acadian

If you run the bike only in warm weather I'd think an always-on cooler would be all right--its location behind the engine will make the airflow somewhat warmer than if it were placed on the front downtubes like mine. In cooler weather or in prepping for an oil change you might consider enclosing the cooler in foam insulation or the like to boil off some of the water and other condensed contaminants in the oil.

On hot days, especially in stop-and-go traffic, I think you'll be pleased with how much heat that cooler sheds--tank temperatures will be 20-30 F lower in my experience.


Tim
 
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
2,983
Country flag
tank temperatures will be 20-30 F lower in my experience.

That's been my experience with a front mounted cooler.

A few years ago I spoke at length with a chemical engineer from Spectro. He stressed that getting the oil hot enough to boil off any moisture was extremely important. He seemed to think a temperature of 180°F in the tank was sufficient to get rid of any moisture, considering that the oil elsewhere, such as the head, would be much higher than 212°F. Anyway, I took his advice and installed a thermostatic controlled bypass.
 

acadian

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
1,290
Country flag
kraakevik@voyagernet said:
Do you see the cooler run without a by-pass as potentially problematic?

Acadian

If you run the bike only in warm weather I'd think an always-on cooler would be all right--its location behind the engine will make the airflow somewhat warmer than if it were placed on the front downtubes like mine. In cooler weather or in prepping for an oil change you might consider enclosing the cooler in foam insulation or the like to boil off some of the water and other condensed contaminants in the oil.

On hot days, especially in stop-and-go traffic, I think you'll be pleased with how much heat that cooler sheds--tank temperatures will be 20-30 F lower in my experience.


Tim

That's my hope, in researcing the options I found that the Jagg (6 row) unit provided the most cooling bang for the buck. I understand that the ideal placement would have been the front tubes but how much of a deficiency mounting it mid bike is, I'm not certain.
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
11,415
Country flag
acadian said:
kraakevik@voyagernet said:
Do you see the cooler run without a by-pass as potentially problematic?

Acadian

If you run the bike only in warm weather I'd think an always-on cooler would be all right--its location behind the engine will make the airflow somewhat warmer than if it were placed on the front downtubes like mine. In cooler weather or in prepping for an oil change you might consider enclosing the cooler in foam insulation or the like to boil off some of the water and other condensed contaminants in the oil.

On hot days, especially in stop-and-go traffic, I think you'll be pleased with how much heat that cooler sheds--tank temperatures will be 20-30 F lower in my experience.


Tim

That's my hope, in researcing the options I found that the Jagg (6 row) unit provided the most cooling bang for the buck. I understand that the ideal placement would have been the front tubes but how much of a deficiency mounting it mid bike is, I'm not certain.

Do you mind updating your location so we can see where the warm parts of the world are? I have an oil cooler but I'm not sure if I'll install it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top