79x100 - Very nice restoration you are doing.
Yes I have spent some time on Robs site, a great resource, and have had a brief chat with Ken - he will be hearing more from me. And yes it is an ex India WD model, Engine No W42230, frame No is harder to read but W88??? So around 1941 engine and 1944 frame? It may well fit the warning on Robs site about ex India bikes, something along the lines of a loosely connected pile of bits more or less travelling in the same direction, it isn’t in quite as good a nick as I was led to believe but thats buyer beware. I bought it on the basis of a couple of fuzzy cell phone photos and a recommendation from someone who knows less than I do about 16H’s. A triumph of enthusiasm over common sense but I have been on the look out for something like this for a couple of years. Plus my father was a despatch rider in WW2 so it seemed a good fit.
Not standard Norton colours but I quite like it as is so won’t be changing in the foreseeable future even though the chrome is heavily pitted, will only be doing (or having done) any mechanical work to make it rideable.
Things done so far
- Made the work platform out of the crate it came in
- chronometric speedo sent for refurb, speedo cable sourced
- fuel lines replaced, inline filter cleaned, petrol taps degunged.
- Valve lifter cable freed up
- Polished everything in sight
Things to do
- fully clean then set up carb, the bike starts and runs but too much throttle and it dies again.
- Choke kit needed for carb
- Rear stand repair or replace, has had a bodge repair where the cast top lugs insert into the oval tube.
- Rear drum/sprocket to be replaced – some teeth broken!!!
- Kick start lever hangs low while engine is running, gearbox tlc needed.
- Front end, seems little or no damping in the girders, and there is some slop in the movement. General tart up needed.
- source an original (or better) seat - the repro is not good.
- ride and smile, repeat
I have a copy of a "Maintenance Manual and Instruction Book" but its for a later telescopic fork model so i have nothing on the girder set up. Anything you could pass on would be much appreciated.
P.S. Commando comment was intended as tongue in cheek.