At this point, we couldn't possibly have "too much" rain at the ranch. The entire property is sloped, and would fill up my pond then simply keep flowing down the original creek bed thru uninhabited retired pasture land.
Our aquifer BADLY needs all the rain we can get for a good while. More is predicted, but it seems to pass us by more often than not...
Finished screwing down the 17 sheets of OSB decking, that leaves 24 more that I'll do in (2) loads next week.
Also ran both ducts to the master bedroom and all 3 ducts to the shop. 8" flex duct is getting squashed between joist blocking and where they turn down to the register, but the system will balance out with dampers.
Not to worry, I had everything needed to fix it, AFTER I rebuilt my oxygen/acetylene regulators, rebuilt my A/C gauge set with parts from 3 different sets, played "hide-and-seek" for an hour with my vacuum pump, and changed the oil in it.
Looked like a tool explosion...
It's been 20 years since I used the gauges & vacuum pump, 12-14 years since I used the oxy/acet torch. They're good to go for another 20 years, I hope I'm still able to use them when I'm 85!
Ahhhhhhhh..... nice and cool after only 10 minutes with outer doors still open, drawing in 90-degree air...
Just around the time I was checking air temp, I noticed some dripping from above. Oh, crud, I forgot to connect the condensate drain! I jumped to it and ran a temporary line to just over the shower. Man, that thing was drawing humidity out of the air in a HURRY!
So, I'm satisfied that this 20-year-old equipment should be good for a few years at least. Still lots of stuff to do, but that's a milestone.
Now, back to my birthday weekend. I had asked all the adult males in my (local) family and friends to 'gift' me with a work day, so we could put up the shed roof that's been waiting 3 or 4 months since I set the main frame columns and receivers. I got my oldest son, Jason, my son-in-law, James, and my ex-wife's husband, Phil. I would have been happy with 2 guys to help, I got 3! None of the wives and kids made it out except for Sally & Alex, who brought us a load of burgers and beverages.
Here's where I left off, several months ago-
We got up on ladders and started working the purlins into the receivers, and bolting them in place (Phil on the ladder, James handing him stuff)...
Phil on the container, screwing in the cut sheets, Jason fixing the whole sheets (22' long)
Since the west end receiver channel was shorter than the others, that meant we could only install 8 of the 10 purlins, and only half the sheets. Still, that was a great day of productivity. 25'x25' complete.
The next time I went out there, I took one look at that unfinished roof and figured I could SOMEHOW finish it solo. Step 1 was to "splint" the receiver and install the last 2 purlins. The splint was not TOO hard-
The 8" x 25' purlins were another story. It was a long, hard process, one step at a time up the ladder, to get them up there.
Then, anchor one end with a pivot bolt, fix the other end, then secure them, etc.
Drenched in sweat after 4 solid hours, I got it done.
I checked deflection, and the splinted corner is almost identical to the opposite one. I'm satisfied, but I'll brace the north end on the container roof anyway, after I install the gutter & downspouts.
This last weekend, my friend Jason showed up, apologizing for missing the "work party". He's a workhorse and we crack jokes continuously, so it was a fun day and a half.
We back-tracked and secured the bottom sides of a couple of purlins that we "meant to" go back to the week before...
We got most of it done on Saturday, then finished on Monday...
That's a lot of shade! finally done...
The last couple of days have been spent sorting and re-stacking the leftover steel materials, moving trailers around and cutting the WAY overgrown grass, then parking trailers neatly. Still a couple more days to finish THAT task.