Dunlop WM2-19 Rim question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country flag
Guys, my rear Original Dunlop rim has a flat spot in it and I would like to replace. My front one is in good shape so I was thinking about getting an NOS Dunlop WM2-19. (I have new tires and a spare 19 so I'm just going to go with a stock setup).

My question is, is there a difference in the NOS Dunlop WM2-19's? Are the ones for a MK3 the same as the MK2? My current rim says Dunlop WM2-19 MB-41. Will a Dunlop WM2-19 MC287 work?

Dunlop WM2-19 Rim question

Before I bought a Mk3 rim I would call Buchanans and ask them if they drill the rims differently for a Mk3. If you can get past the receptionist, the guys in the shop have been helpful with questions I have called with. If the only difference is spoke diameter then you can probably get nipples to fit the rim and spokes to fit the hub in a custom set.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/contact/contact_us.asp

I guess you have seen the NOS MC287 on eBay.
The MB41 is drilled for a full width drum brake and the Mk3 is drilled for the disc of course,the drum rear only has 0.280 " nipples also so the rim drillings are most likely different.
I had been thinking along the same lines a while back for the Mk2 to allow larger rear spokes and nipples to match the front which are 0.300 on the disc rim .
Large gauge spokes and nipples on the front and double butted 'spindly ones on the rear looks odd. (I ended up getting a Buchanan set for the rear anyway)

A factual answer (L.A.B) to your question will be handy.

Johnnymac said:
My question is, is there a difference in the NOS Dunlop WM2-19's? Are the ones for a MK3 the same as the MK2? My current rim says Dunlop WM2-19 MB-41. Will a Dunlop WM2-19 MC287 work?

The MB41 rim is for Commando drum brake hubs.

MC275. Front disc rim, '72-'74 (apparently also fitted to some 850 MkIII's)
MC288. Front disc rim, 850 MkIII.
MC287 & MC289. Rear disc, 850 MkIII.

MC283 ??? Disc front??

I think it was madass140 who had said the same thing,I could have then used a set of his s/s spokes on my Mk2a.
Problem seems to be the MC286 rim is hard to find NOS,the others come up fairly often (I got a NOS MC275 front from the UK)

You end up with heavy gauge spokes in the front wheel and light double butted in the back with the stock disc/drum rims ( 0.300 / 0.280)
Not the end of the world but looks odd. (I have s/s in the front,stock in the back)
Maybe a MC286 will come up one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back