Valve Guide Seal Mod (2016)

Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,308
Country flag
With reference to the recent posts on replacing valve guide seals.

It is bloody annoying when a guide seal pops' off and it's still a pain changing one with the head in place. I've had an idea for a few years of how to prevent the seal from popping off but never needed to do anything about it until I had one come off recently just after a complete head rebuild.

I machined up two thin steel sleeves to push snugly over the guide seals to secure them in place. The motor has only done 1500 miles since and so far the mod has been successful.

It's probably a little too early to crow but I do feel it is worth mentioning as others might like to try it.

Dave
 

comnoz

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,193
Country flag
cash said:
With reference to the recent posts on replacing valve guide seals.

It is bloody annoying when a guide seal pops' off and it's still a pain changing one with the head in place. I've had an idea for a few years of how to prevent the seal from popping off but never needed to do anything about it until I had one come off recently just after a complete head rebuild.

I machined up two thin steel sleeves to push snugly over the guide seals to secure them in place. The motor has only done 1500 miles since and so far the mod has been successful.

It's probably a little too early to crow but I do feel it is worth mentioning as others might like to try it.

Dave

That is one way to do it,

But the easier way is to just buy Kibblewhite solid Teflon seals. They have a spring type retaining ring built into them and are not hardened by the high temp. They seem to last forever but require a simple tool to install them. Jim
 
Joined
May 11, 2010
Messages
2,460
Country flag
You cannot order what you want? If not nobody on list willing to order for you and send it over?

We dont have to mention the tawdry part about payments now do we?
 

comnoz

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,193
Country flag
Torontonian said:
What's the simple tool ? Mine just arrived with no mention of it in the package .

Here is what I use.
Round off the corners that contact the seal.
The seal is a tight fit and delicate. Lube it and push it on straight. Once it is in place it will be impossible to remove without damage.

PS- I have destroyed them by trying to use a socket.

 

APRRSV

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
387
Country flag
comnoz said:
Torontonian said:
What's the simple tool ? Mine just arrived with no mention of it in the package .

Here is what I use.
Round off the corners that contact the seal.
The seal is a tight fit and delicate. Lube it and push it on straight. Once it is in place it will be impossible to remove without damage.

PS- I have destroyed them by trying to use a socket.


Hi Comnoz,
I note that the bore at the front of the tool is specified as 0.460. This doesn't appear to be a standard size drill bit, SAE or metric. Is this dimension critical?

Thanks,
Ed
 

comnoz

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,193
Country flag
APRRSV said:
Hi Comnoz,
I note that the bore at the front of the tool is specified as 0.460. This doesn't appear to be a standard size drill bit, SAE or metric. Is this dimension critical?

Thanks,
Ed

No, that is just what I measured using a cheap digital caliper. Chances are I bored it with a letter size bit.

It just needs to be a little larger than the spring on the top of the seal -after it is expanded over the valve stem. Jim
 

APRRSV

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
387
Country flag
Thanks Jim. But I just realized you are referring to Kibblewhite Teflon seals. I'm not familiar with those. Only the red Viton.
I realize that Viton is a fluoropolymer, are these what you are referring to when you reference Teflon?
Do you have a part #?

Ed
 

comnoz

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,193
Country flag
APRRSV said:
Thanks Jim. But I just realized you are referring to Kibblewhite Teflon seals. I'm not familiar with those. Only the red Viton.
I realize that Viton is a fluoropolymer, are these what you are referring to when you reference Teflon?
Do you have a part #?

Ed

No, these are solid white PTFE with two steel springs 700-100006

Viton is good for 400F continuous.
PTFE is good for 500F continuous.
 

APRRSV

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
387
Country flag
comnoz said:
APRRSV said:
Thanks Jim. But I just realized you are referring to Kibblewhite Teflon seals. I'm not familiar with those. Only the red Viton.
I realize that Viton is a fluoropolymer, are these what you are referring to when you reference Teflon?
Do you have a part #?

Ed

No, these are solid white PTFE with two steel springs 700-100006

Viton is good for 400F continuous.
PTFE is good for 500F continuous.


Thanks Jim. I haven't been able to find them on Kibblewhites website. Doing an internet search for Kibblewhite and that part # brings me to a guide seal at Summit Racing.
I've emailed Kibblewhite to inquire on availability. Waiting on their response.
 

comnoz

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,193
Country flag
APRRSV said:
comnoz said:
APRRSV said:
Thanks Jim. But I just realized you are referring to Kibblewhite Teflon seals. I'm not familiar with those. Only the red Viton.
I realize that Viton is a fluoropolymer, are these what you are referring to when you reference Teflon?
Do you have a part #?

Ed

No, these are solid white PTFE with two steel springs 700-100006

Viton is good for 400F continuous.
PTFE is good for 500F continuous.



Thanks Jim. I haven't been able to find them on Kibblewhites website. Doing an internet search for Kibblewhite
and that part # brings me to a guide seal at Summit Racing.
I've emailed Kibblewhite to inquire on availability. Waiting on their response.

They are on page 216 of their online catalogue. They always supply me with plenty of them. Jim
 

APRRSV

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
387
Country flag
Thanks Jim. I see them in the catalog. I heard from Brian Slavin at Kibblewhite. He informed me that the 700-100006 part # has been superceded by 71006.

Ed
 
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,308
Country flag
Grief! I'm beginning to think it was cheaper and simpler to use the RGM viton seals and push fit the two sleeves. :wink:

Dave
 
Joined
Jul 12, 2015
Messages
479
Country flag
Just got the KW valve seals and installer, installer was $7.78, $12.76 for a pack of four.
Part# 20-20830, 71006

 

APRRSV

VIP MEMBER
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
387
Country flag
Hi MS850,
Let us know how the installer tool works out.

Ed
 
Joined
Jul 12, 2015
Messages
479
Country flag
APRRSV said:
Hi MS850,
Let us know how the installer tool works out.

Ed

head is off, in a few days Ill let you know. Would have been done by now but been watching my 2yo grandson.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6214 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6214 - Copy.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 295
Top