Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

If you have an Omex ECU and are happy...

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: If you have an Omex ECU and are happy...

Postby Kiwi961 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi - do we know for sure that Power Commander are going to make a unit for the 961s. It would solve a lot of problems that's for sure

Kiwi961

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:59 pm

No, there is no guarantee though it seems a few German users already have one working at some level!

BPHORSEGUY

Postby BritTwit » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Kiwi961 wrote:Hi - do we know for sure that Power Commander are going to make a unit for the 961s. It would solve a lot of problems that's for sure

There was a posting on the forum a few months ago by a member who said that the British subsidiary of DynoJet UK was looking for a 961 to conduct tests on.
DynoJet indicated that this was in preparation for the release of a PC for the Norton 961.
I haven't heard anything since, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby glb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:40 am

Hi I spoke directly to the research team at a show and was told that they were seriously looking at releasing a PC for the 961. They also spoke about a bike for testing. Despite several emails, including one a recent as last month, to them they have not responded since. Doesn't therefore look like it will happen anytime soon.

glb

Postby TonyA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 am

Hello , I have never used a power commander . Does this unit plug in to the current ECU ? Does it need to be cut and spliced in ? A clean plug in would be great. Is it then adjusted by means of laptop or tablet through a port ? Does it make sense then that the different types of Norton ECU complicate matters for them ? OLD OMEX , SC , NEW OMEX ? And it is only 2017 !!! Does it also make sense that this unit when fitted should be done on a dyno to see what is actually happening ? I suppose that Dynojet will have to do all of that on the donor bike . I just see complications for them with the different ECU's and the low numbers of bikes . But the bright spot here will be for the ones willing to try it , means more performance and better running hopefully. I have been told by a Triumph dealer in my area that they have gotten good gains across the range from the EFI Triumph Bonneville 2008 to 2016 with K&N clamp on air filters and a tune of the ECU. I don't know if this involved a power commander or not though .

TonyA

Postby BritTwit » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 am

Tony,

Forum member Panetone indicated last November that he had a working PC for the 961, and that DynoJet Germany helped him and others develop it.
So hopefully there will be a marketed version for all of us.

post342901.html?hilit=dynojet#p342901

The DynoJet module comes with electrical connectors to fit the particular bike that it is designed for.
It works by intercepting ecu signals that are sent from the stock ecu to the injectors, then uses a special map to modify those signals, and send the modified signals to the injectors.
The PC can be modified easily using the DynoJet software.
You can change the map and use another, or modify the existing map by making adjustments to fueling at different RPMs to tailor the air-fuel mixture and optimize it for performance.

Having two different ecu’s (SC and OMEX) may present a problem, but I don’t think it’s a major issue.
Hopefully, the electrical connectors are the same between the different ecu’s.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles