Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

who uses the center stand

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: who uses the center stand

Postby Deckard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:57 am

You don't have any owner information, but the 850 center stand is the only one that's worthwhile. Earlier 750 Commando's can't utilize it, but 71 & 72 would benefit from the increased strength and easier roll up. A hell of a lot easier to kicking over on the center stand, especially if you have higher compression Combat 750. Other comments are applicable about ease of maintenance.
1971 750 Commando- Original Owner!
1973 850 Commando
2005 Ducati ST4S

"Everybody wants to go to Heaven, nobody wants to die"

Deckard

Postby BritTwit » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:03 pm

I always use the center stand when bike is in the garage.
It allows me to perform all driveline and wheel maintenance easily.
It’s safer for standing the bike up on uneven or poor surfaces.

I only use the side stand for temporary parking when out on a ride if I’m lazy.
Otherwise, bike gets hoisted up on the center stand.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby Cycle Goon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:33 pm

eskasteve wrote:Once you have the sidestand bolt snap just as you are finishing your kickstart down stroke you'll understand the usefulness of the center stand. It happened to me in 1973 in a jam packed scenic vista parking lot. My bike chose that time to become a one kick wonder and was running nicely as it fell on top of me. Boy do those header pipes heat up quick! Thank goodness this was before the cell phone era otherwise I'd be the featured idiot of the day on you tube.
Man card revoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't start a bike on the side stand.

Cycle Goon

Postby sportsroof » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 pm

+1 Well said that man! We need more of a 'manly' attitude here. Commandos are for MEN! Yaaarrrr!
Cheers, Martin ( now proven to have Viking blood)

sportsroof

Postby gortnipper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 pm

jimbo wrote:And you can and will get the conversations about the rubbers in the isolastics taking a set after long periods of centerstand storage with the different Commando arrangements.

I am curious as to why this would not happen with the side stand as well?

Brooking 850 wrote:Yes I only have the CS on my bike , it also broke in half some years ago hurtling along a gravel rode, now repaired and strengthened, cant do with out it as I have no SS fitted.
Had to build up the area with weld where it contacts the gearbox cradle to get more lift of the back wheel, high wear point .
Watch for the steel bushings cracking over time, plus the spring can wear a slot from the hole on the cross bar causing the bar to crack and break same as Kommando is talking about.
Love it!
Regards Mike

Since about 1996 I have only had the centre stand as well. My original side stand bushing and mounting hole were both badly worn when i got it, and the bolt was non standard and I would always ground on it on hard left corners, so off it came. The restoration is the first time it has been on in 20 years.

My spring wore a slot from the hole as well, so I had it welded and reinforced when I had the stand straightened recently.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
gortnipper
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby kerinorton » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:56 pm

I most often start my bike when its on the centre stand. I am small and when I start it on its wheels, I leave the side stand out because its a balancing act when both feet are off the ground in preparation for that big kick.

In saying that though, I do recommend everyone reinforce their centre stands as they were built for lightness, not durability. I bent a 1/2 round high tensile bar to fit inside the lower legs and cross piece on both my 71 750 and my 74 850, and tack welded them in place [ 8 tacks ], to the upper and lower sections front and back both of the lower legs.
Over 40 years ago I welded gussets to the 750 stand but the cross piece eventually broke again, and I had welded the 850 stand back together one time when I felt something dragging on the road. Not fun when you are going fast on a winding road.
The 1/2 bar doesn't look out of place. The 850 gets ridden a lot so the whole bike h as to be strong.

Dereck
IF IT AINT BROKEN , DONT FIX IT.......71-750, 74-850

kerinorton

Postby ashman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Cycle Goon wrote:
eskasteve wrote:Once you have the sidestand bolt snap just as you are finishing your kickstart down stroke you'll understand the usefulness of the center stand. It happened to me in 1973 in a jam packed scenic vista parking lot. My bike chose that time to become a one kick wonder and was running nicely as it fell on top of me. Boy do those header pipes heat up quick! Thank goodness this was before the cell phone era otherwise I'd be the featured idiot of the day on you tube.

Centre stands and side stands should never be used for kick starting, but they do have their purpose, fixing flats on the side of the road, doing maintenance etc, but when my Norton was new and still in Commando form the biggest problem I had with the centre stand was scraping while hard in the corners, loose springs making the CS bounce, bolts and bushes wearing out if you use it for kick starting and the side stands have simlar problem, you should aways get use to kick start your Norton without relying on the stands, if your bike is tuned right it should start first kick every time, well mine does and its a hot motor.

Ashley

ashman

Postby Danno » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 pm

The SS clone only has a centerstand, no sidestand. It's a little inconvenient at times, but I don't mind.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby petejohno » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I removed my sidestand years ago. You have to get off the bike to put it down anyway and mine used to rattle. The bike is a lot easier to kick and do maintenance on the centrestand.
' 75 MK111 Commando Interstate
' 68 Triumph T100R Daytona
' 74 Rickman Honda CR750

petejohno

Postby L.A.B. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 pm

petejohno wrote:I removed my sidestand years ago. You have to get off the bike to put it down anyway and mine used to rattle.

I can extend my 850 Mk3's side stand from the seated position quite easily and although it's more of a stretch it can also be folded again without having to get off. :?
It doesn't rattle either. :wink:
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby xbacksideslider » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:11 pm

I threw my sidestand away and cut off its lugs to better tuck in the headpipe.
John Laing
1973 750 #220000
1986 GSXR 1100
2008 CBR 1000
1986 Shelby GLHS #463

xbacksideslider

Postby MikeM » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm

I only have a center stand. That little nub on the frame for the side stand scares me. I have heard many stories.
I had good reason to replace mine.

old.. Image

New....Image
Learning all the time.

MikeM

Postby Brooking 850 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:37 pm

As I use a standard Commando frame for the race bike, when I first had 2 high pipes on it with peashooters, I
had left the side stand lug on , its was the first thing to dig into the tarmac during cornering, so off it came.
On my roadbike, I havent removed the lug, just trimmed it back a bit for header pipe clearance, footpegs and CS are the first things to make contact during spirited cornering.
Regards Mike
Brooking 850
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 2

Postby kerinorton » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 am

The first modification I ever did to my 750 in the early 70's was throw the side stand away.
When is start my 850 with the side stand out, it is there only as a safety backup if i don't get the balance right when I kick it over. I don't kick start it ON the side stand. Only a fool would do that. They are too weak.
Dereck
IF IT AINT BROKEN , DONT FIX IT.......71-750, 74-850

kerinorton

Postby kommando » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:09 am

jimbo wrote:
And you can and will get the conversations about the rubbers in the isolastics taking a set after long periods of centerstand storage with the different Commando arrangements.

I am curious as to why this would not happen with the side stand as well?

The later centerstand is mounted to the gearbox/engine plate rear iso tube, the sidestand lug is directly on the frame. So the weight bearing down on the iso's is increased when the center stand is used over the sidestand.

kommando

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles