Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Where is info on Isolastic Featherbeds?

Where is info on Isolastic Featherbeds?

Postby jimbo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:12 am

I have 1959 Wideline and I'm considering rubber mounting, where is there any information, I know many have done it.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Re: Where is info on Isolastic Featherbeds?

Postby ashman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Maybe they didn't work, I have my 850 solid mounted in my Wideline for 33 years now, with the crank balanced for the Featherbed frame and I have no problems with vibrations at all, Featherbed frames were made for solid mounts and putting a rubber mounted motor in a Featherbed will change the way they handle, but mind you this is only my opinion, there would need to be a lot of modifrcations to the mountings on the Featherbed, a lot of expermenting, a lot of time and money and it mite not work, a lot cheaper and less headaces to just get your crank balanced right for the Featherbed frame, mine was done at 72% balance factor.

In 33 years I have only had one bolt come lose where I lost the nut so I must have done something right and at the time it only cost me $46 to get the crank balanced, I don't know how much it would cost these days but would be a lot cheaper than experamenting with rubber mounts that might not workout.

Good luck with it but I would never go back to Isolastics and my Featherbed 850 handles so well, but it all depends on how it is set up.

Ashley

ashman

Postby ntst8 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 am

Have you tried a search for "featherlastic" either on this forum on the the net in general?
A few useful links should pop up.
Iain B
'44 WD16H
'60 ES2
'73 850 Interstate
'12 Yamaha XT660Z
ntst8
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 6

Postby jimbo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:37 am

ntst8 wrote:Have you tried a search for "featherlastic" either on this forum on the the net in general?
A few useful links should pop up.

good job :) , I forgot about "Featherlastic"
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby Matt Spencer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:09 am

Just a personal whinge , but the powertrains a integral part of the frame , structurally . Take Note .

Reading the Thing on the pre war BSA Sloper Today - the ANGLE gets the thing SMOOTHER , amougst other things .

The Commando set up , angled - in the F'bed , may well be smooth enough .
The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby CanukNortonNut » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:47 am

jimbo wrote:I have 1959 Wideline and I'm considering rubber mounting, where is there any information, I know many have done it.

Try here. http://www.ntnoa.org/bobcox.htm
Cheers,
Thomas
CNN
On Any Sunday...A motorcycle is what ever you want to make it. Turn it on, and you can give yourself a real thrill...

CanukNortonNut

Postby laurentdom » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:22 am

Search also for "Bob Fraturelli" on the web. Should return links to how he built his Featherlastics.
1960 De Luxe Featherbed chassis + 1972 750 Commando engine

laurentdom

Postby jimbo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:17 pm

jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby texasSlick » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Matt Spencer wrote:Just a personal whinge , but the powertrains a integral part of the frame , structurally . Take Note .

+1 on that.

slick
1963 Atlas (Original Owner)

The Second Law (of thermodynamics) rules.
texasSlick
VIP MEMBER

Postby Rohan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Matt Spencer wrote:Just a personal whinge , but the powertrains a integral part of the frame , structurally . Take Note .

Of more concern even is that on the stock featherbed, the top of the steering head is braced as part of the engine steady, to the top of the cylinder head/rockerbox.

When you see it all bare under the tank there, on a stock bike, it is apparent that its an integral part of the frame's and steering head's strength.
Once the powertrain is isolastically mounted, what happens to that bracing to the top of the steering column ??
Unless some other bracing system is adopted in the featherlastic, that bracing has been lost.
That CANNOT be a good thing ?

Is there something that is not being revealed that is done to featherlastics in this dept ?
Or are we talking emperors new clothes....

Rohan

Postby jimbo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:06 am

legend has it,they used to leave the brace off to let the engine move, with better 1/4 mile times
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby jimbo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:26 am

you mean this piece of steel with one hole going to the head?

Rohan wrote:

Of more concern even is that on the stock featherbed, the top of the steering head is braced as part of the engine steady, to the top of the cylinder head/rockerbox.

When you see it all bare under the tank there, on a stock bike, it is apparent that its an integral part of the frame's and steering head's strength.
Once the powertrain is isolastically mounted, what happens to that bracing to the top of the steering column ??
Unless some other bracing system is adopted in the featherlastic, that bracing has been lost.
That CANNOT be a good thing ?

Is there something that is not being revealed that is done to featherlastics in this dept ?
Or are we talking emperors new clothes....
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby ashman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:52 am

When I frist started to build my 850 Featherbed, one thing that I was told was to make the top mount from the steering head to the top of the cylinder head was to make it as strong as can be with no movement at all, if you ran the Featherbed frame without a strong head stay the frame would crack at the top of the frame near the steering head, my friend who got me into Featherbed frames learn the hard way of not having a head steady on his first build and his cracked servely, so can not have any movement at all is the best way.

Ashley

ashman

Postby acotrel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:11 pm

You can look at a featherbed frame and a commando frame and believe they do the same thing - not so. I suggest he featherbed is a much better option if you want precise handling. With a rigidly mounted motor the balance factor is more critical. If you get it to shake at low revs and smooth out in the usual operating rev range that would be good. I'd never run a featherbed without a head steady, even with one they can crack at the front engine mounts. With a featherbed, even the type of bush used in the swing arm makes a difference you can feel. A lot of road bikes used to have silentbloc bushes which we used to change for solid brass bushes. Isolastics on a featherbed might be OK on a road bike with modern tyres, if you are insensitive. I would not do it.

acotrel

Postby ashman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:39 pm

The old gent that balanced my crank for the Featherbed was a Englist engneer who made racing frames for fomular 3 race cars and I was put onto him from Ivan Thighe of Thighe Cams in Brisbane who built my stock cam up to a SS profile and he had a lot of his race engines balaced by this gent, when I told him what my plans where with the 850 in the Wideline Featherbed he told my what balance factor I needed and what he needed to balace the crank.

What ever he did my motor is smooth right through the rev range and has been for over 33 years.

I don't understand why poeple are so obsess with Isolastics, if you build your motor for the Featherbed there is no need for them, the best thing I ever done was to build my Featherbed as they will handle a lot better than a Commando and I built mine long before the internet was around, I was young when I built it and not much experance with building a bike from the ground up, but one thing I did do is use comand sence.

Ashley

ashman

Next

Return to General Classic Motorcycle Discussion