Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

What is it with Harley and HOG members

Here you can post what you like. It must be Motorcycle related.

Re: What is it with Harley and HOG members

Postby ashman » Sat May 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Talking of jokes, i was amused recently when we were returning on our older Nortons from a girder fork/plunger frame event and stopped for a debrief at the last watering hole. There was a group of modern Triumph cruiser riders who seem to have adopted their own version of the worst of the Harley stereotype. We didn't exist it seems, but we still enjoyed our beer.[/quote]

I own a moden Triumph a 2013 Thruxton, but some of the guy's that buy Triumph cruisers could be ones that would like to own a new Harley but can't afford them, but it don't really matter as each group has their stereotypes, myself I just like riding and I just like my British bikes although my Thruxton was assembled in Thiland its still a British bike but I don't ride with attude and always have a big smile on my dial when out and about, another thing that gets me with some hog riders is the mask or bandana over their face WTF is that all about, are they tring to be cowboys of the old west or hey I am a outlaw, keep clear or you be in trouble and then they wonder why the cops pick on them.

Ashley

ashman

Postby Triton Thrasher » Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 am

Fast Eddie wrote:
cehenard wrote: I've got a Norvin. The Vincent folks are always wanting to help me "get a proper chassis together". The Norton people all say "what a waste of a featherbed".

And they're both wrong of course... You need an Egli chassis...!

And a Commando engine.

Triton Thrasher

Bandana

Postby franko » Tue May 09, 2017 8:38 pm

My son, Brian, used to keep a bandana tied to his handle bar. It was in between the left grip and the clutch perch. Once in awhile he would put it on around dusk and take it off after the sun went down. I grinned and asked why. He said the bugs that come out. I quit grinning when I had a big one go up my nose. Worse than a nose full of chlorinated water. Damn that burned. Yep, I now have one in the same place on my bike.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
franko
VIP MEMBER

Re: Bandana

Postby ashman » Wed May 10, 2017 1:52 am

franko wrote:My son, Brian, used to keep a bandana tied to his handle bar. It was in between the left grip and the clutch perch. Once in awhile he would put it on around dusk and take it off after the sun went down. I grinned and asked why. He said the bugs that come out. I quit grinning when I had a big one go up my nose. Worse than a nose full of chlorinated water. Damn that burned. Yep, I now have one in the same place on my bike.

Yes but most of them wear them all the time when bugs aren't around, may be they are just butt ugly :roll:

Ashley

ashman

Postby frankdamp » Wed May 10, 2017 7:00 am

When I was doing the high daily mileage at Norton, I wore a light leather face-mask that covered my mouth, chin and nose. Eight hours a day with the wind in my teeth and up my nose was too much.
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp

Postby Fast Eddie » Wed May 10, 2017 12:25 pm

You guys have got this all wrong.

What you see on a Harley riders face is NOT an attempt to look mean n' moody...

No, it is simply the look of extreme concentration as they scour the horizon for any impending bends in the road !!
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby ashman » Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:You guys have got this all wrong.

What you see on a Harley riders face is NOT an attempt to look mean n' moody...

No, it is simply the look of extreme concentration as they scour the horizon for any impending bends in the road !!

I was thinking on the same lines as you Eddie, when I think about it when we go for our Sunday rides with all the mates the Harley boy's are not there they hate us riding up into the twisties and after a few hours of hard riding they complain they are sore and aching all over from throwing their hogs around, who wants to cruise on straight roads.

Ashley

ashman

Postby ashman » Wed May 10, 2017 3:00 pm

I had a text message on my phone from one of my best mate's and big twin Harley owner he likes a drink or 2 or 3, he said in his message "buy American you won't look back big cubic inches" the first thing that came into my head was this reply "the reason they don't look back is because there be no one there as they be all in front of you" realy we are great mate's but we tend to put shit on each other all the time, I have also notice a angy face on him when out and about on his Harley and he use to only ride British, he brought his Harley a few months before I brought my New Thruxton just over 4 years ago, so far I have done more miles, have traveled long distants more, so realy he can say what ever to me and I always have the last laugh.

Ashley

ashman

Postby acotrel » Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 pm

I once had a fly go straight into my mouth and down my throat - YUM !

acotrel

Postby ashman » Thu May 25, 2017 3:33 pm

There is a aussie show on tv called HD TV its sponsed by Harley Australia and of course all about Harlies, I watch it sometime but get so annoyed as its all one sided with a lot of peole with to much money, the producers of the show are ex Harley meckenics or ex sales men, they go on a lot of group ride with HOG members but the funny thing is when they go for rides its from one Harley dealers to another Harley dealers in a diffrent towns and they sit around talking how good their Harlies are and of course showing off the latest models.
One or two times a year they oganise a week long trip or more to some far away place for the same reasons as above but I laugh as they only do about between 300 to 500 ks a day they have a back up Harley truck that follows them in case of any break downs and when they pull up at a fancy motel for the night they are so worn out from doing such long distant in their book anyway, to me those ks are only short rides for me, I use to do 1,000 mile rides in a day on my Norton when traveling visiting friends interstate etc and now I am retired I do a few trips a year on my Thruxton that are over 1,500 ks rides in a day stop for a few days drinking then back home, I ride to Agnes Water every month which is over 5 1/2 hrs away from my place without any problems at all fully loaded with gear.
I ask my Harley friends to come with me on some of my adventures but they are such soft cocks and don't want to travel those distants with me because I only stop for fuel and a feed when needed, WTF they pay so much for these Harlies, they brag how good they are yet they don't like to do the distants with me on my bike that I call the baby of the group, but not all Harley riders are like that and I do know a few who will do long distant rides they are only a few.
But back to the tv show when they leave one Harley shop to go to another town with a Harley shop, the women on the back or some do ride their own Harlies they are always spending and buying Harley merchandise, its like a addiction they need to spend money on Harley things and most of the things they buy aren't cheap, but when I think about it HD have got it right their marketing of their product is pretty good, sort of hey come in sucker have a cigar and spend spend spend.

Ashley

ashman

Postby JimC » Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Harley ownership has very little to do with actual motorcycle riding. I live about 50 miles from Daytona Beach. During Bike Week, I know of many local Harley owners who trailer their Harley to Daytona Beach.

Two brothers I knew were planing a trip to upstate NY, where they originally hailed, from Cocoa, FL. They were in a stew trying to figure out how to get 3 Harleys on a trailer. I said I have a novel idea, ride one. They looked at me as if I were nuts.

In my travels, I find BMW riders, for the most part, to be the hi milers. Once in a while a Goldwing rider will rack up some serious mileage. I knew one Goldwing rider who would annually ride from Cocoa, Fl to Wisconsin, where his mother lived, without stopping other than gas, food and pissing. He did this because he was the cheapest SOB I've ever known, he was NOT going to pay for a motel.
A man's worth is not measured by what he has achieved...It is measured by what he went through to achieve it.

If you smile every time you flip on the garage light, you own the right motorcycle.

JimC

Postby JimC » Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Harley ownership has very little to do with actual motorcycle riding. I live about 50 miles from Daytona Beach. During Bike Week, I know of many local Harley owners who trailer their Harley to Daytona Beach.

Two brothers I knew were planing a trip to upstate NY, where they originally hailed, from Cocoa, FL. They were in a stew trying to figure out how to get 3 Harleys on a trailer. I said I have a novel idea, ride one. They looked at me as if I were nuts.

In my travels, I find BMW riders, for the most part, to be the hi milers. Once in a while a Goldwing rider will rack up some serious mileage. I knew one Goldwing rider who would annually ride from Cocoa, Fl to Wisconsin, where his mother lived, without stopping other than gas, food and pissing. He did this because he was the cheapest SOB I've ever known, he was NOT going to pay for a motel.
A man's worth is not measured by what he has achieved...It is measured by what he went through to achieve it.

If you smile every time you flip on the garage light, you own the right motorcycle.

JimC

Postby ashman » Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 pm

JimC wrote:Harley ownership has very little to do with actual motorcycle riding. I live about 50 miles from Daytona Beach. During Bike Week, I know of many local Harley owners who trailer their Harley to Daytona Beach.

Here in Brisbane the Larverta motorcycly club puts on a one day show every year, its one of the biggest bike shows in my home town of Brisbane, the Laverta club is only a small club with only 56 members but they put on a great show, it bring all motorcyclest out for the day as well as families, everyone leaves their attude at home and all money raised goes to charities, most of the show bikes get trailed in but there are also a lot ridden in, they have a big area set aside for motorcycle parking and its as much fun checking out all the bikes that are ridden to the show and a lot of them should be in the show, when I park my Norton it always gets a lot of lookers who think they know what it is.

When traveling I always see more Triumphs and BMWs on my travels and the occasional Harley loaded up and if I do see a big group of Harlies it usually clubbies on a run somewhere, here in Queensland clubbies aren't allowed to wear their colours in a group of more than 3, the GOVT. has cracked down on outlaw clubs, closing down their club houses and forcing them underground, I liked the old days when you knew who they were with their patches, but they are still easy to know by their high ape hangers, the gear they ride in with face mask as well their attude to other motorcyclests, when the crack down started all Harley riders were hit hard, normal Harley riders were grilled to weed out who had any affiliation with outlaw clubs, photos were taken of any tattos as well as the riders, anyone riding with club colours are pulled over searched and given a hard time, all my mates that rode Harlies got hasseled but I never even got
pulled over at all riding the Norton or Triumph, but things have settled down now and back to normal, but the good thing is they also cracked down on very loud Harlies.

Ashley

ashman

Postby Bernhard » Wed May 31, 2017 3:48 am

acotrel wrote:I once had a fly go straight into my mouth and down my throat - YUM !

And…. If you listen carefully you can still hear an angry fly still buzzing :!: :D

Bernhard

Postby concours » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 am

concours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Motorcycle Related Discussions