Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

What is it with Harley and HOG members

Here you can post what you like. It must be Motorcycle related.

Re: What is it with Harley and HOG members

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:01 pm

cehenard wrote: I've got a Norvin. The Vincent folks are always wanting to help me "get a proper chassis together". The Norton people all say "what a waste of a featherbed".

And they're both wrong of course... You need an Egli chassis...!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:05 pm

And another thing (in defence of Ash)...

In this sterile modern world of uber political correctness, let's NOT lose the joy of banter and good old fashioned piss taking in the motorbike world.

Taking the piss out of others is half the fun.

Why d'ya think I call my Commando "Trident Hunter"...?

Just wait for Sam's response and you'll see...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby cehenard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 am

Ashley, Pretty sure we're on the same page for the most part. As far as group rides: too fast, too slow, not enough stops, too many stops, twisty roads, straight roads, whine whine whine... My favorite sized group is ONE. I never complain about me.
Eddie, If you've got an Egli frame sitting around collecting dust I'll get it out of your way.
Charlie
cehenard
VIP MEMBER

Postby trident sam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:11 am

Fast Eddie wrote:And another thing (in defence of Ash)...

In this sterile modern world of uber political correctness, let's NOT lose the joy of banter and good old fashioned piss taking in the motorbike world.

You couldn't spell Z1 Hunter ? :wink:

trident sam

Postby ashman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:05 pm

cehenard wrote:Ashley, Pretty sure we're on the same page for the most part. As far as group rides: too fast, too slow, not enough stops, too many stops, twisty roads, straight roads, whine whine whine... My favorite sized group is ONE. I never complain about me.
Eddie, If you've got an Egli frame sitting around collecting dust I'll get it out of your way.
Charlie

Charlie its all in good fun, my Sunday rides with my mates that I have been riding with over 40 years don't happen every Sunday usually once a month or every 3 weeks, most of the time I get out on my own or another good friend on his big bore Harley, I also do a lot of traveling on my Thruxton as I am now retired, I don't mind my own company, I stop when I want to or go as long as I can if its a very long trip, my Norton was a everyday ride for over 37 years and now its semi retired just like me and the Thruxton is now my everyday rider, but I still like taking the Norton out as much as I can, its a fun bike to ride very light and very fast it handles better than the Thruxton and a bit quicker but I like both bikes and I did own a Harley once but it just didn't suite me, I like going around corners fast and being on a lighter bike, British bikes are in my blood and I can't change that, but a lot of my Harley mates just don't like to go far on their rides, get up to late get home to early and most of the time they only use a 1/2 a tank of fuel, to me thats not a ride but a short trip to the shops and where all the same age of 58 years old.
But hey if thats all they want to do on their big hogs then all fine by me but I will stir them up about it, I can't help myself its the Aussie way, shit stirring, putting shit on each other, joking around and having the best fun we can, life is to short not to have some fun without being too serouse in what we do.

Ashley

ashman

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:56 pm

trident sam wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:And another thing (in defence of Ash)...

You couldn't spell Z1 Hunter ? :wink:

Touché !

Quite witty for a Trident rider... 8)
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby ashman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Well it happened again, a good friend and Harley owner pasted away at a young age of 62, on the day of his ashes being spread out in Moreten Bay, he lived across the road from the beach front where his ashes were going to be released we took his ashes for a final ride with a group of good mates, 25 bikes all up, his ashes were mounted on the tank so he could get the wind for one last time, while riding my good mate Steve on his hog was behind me I was looking at him in my mirror and there he was with the tuffest look on his face I have ever seen, its not his normal look, I couldn't help myself I just laughed, he then came up beside me and gave me a big grin and a wink, but I was still pissing myself, he later asked me why I was laughing when he came along side of me but I didn't have the heart to tell him.

Ashley

ashman

Postby DonOR » Tue May 02, 2017 1:21 am

"take a sad song, and make it better"

hehe, my former biz partner and drinking buddy, sick with cancer, wants to give me his mid '70s amf ironhead sportster... crusty and under a tarp in his rainforest carport.

while I have a vision of what it could be, with the help from filpperboi aka benjies cafe racers, I just don't have the love to put into it. I'm sure with 4-5 thousand it could be made into a respectable, XR wannabe, but I just dont have the time or money. Maybe I should go get it and soak it in oil for a few years....

http://www.bcrdesigns.com/wp-content/up ... rong_1.jpg
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.

1972 Combat Roadster

DonOR

Postby pantah_good » Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 am

I've always thought those old Sportsters in standard form were pretty cool. It's generally not the H-D bikes that act like assholes, but we all know some of their riders certainly can. If you should start thinking a do rag is more attractive than a full coverage helmet, then sell it quick.
1972 Norton Roadster Combat
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby ashman » Tue May 02, 2017 4:24 pm

My friend Nigle who passed away had a new 1200 Sortster 67 he had It for about 2 or more years had a lot of troubles with it till another shop sorted it out, he also had a 69 Bonny and a rare BSA twin with sidecar, on the day of his last ride the Sportster wouldn't fire up so we mounted him on another Harley, the Bonny and BSA have gone to good homes and his long lost son has kept the Sportster, he was told about his rare cancer 7 months ago and he was still riding 2 weeks before he went down, he was a very talent musician who had a love of blues music and motorcycles R.I.P Nigle.

Ashley

ashman

Postby batrider » Thu May 04, 2017 3:51 pm

There are other Harleys and Harley riders that aren't into the pirate lifestyle. My 2009 XR1200 is very Norton-like except for the weight. Look it up. I got a free HOG membership when I bought my XR used from a dealer and I got an 18% reduction on my cell service as a result. I left after the first yr but still getting the discount! Please educate yourself before engaging keyboard. Or did you just post to stir up the pot. Why? Bored?
'72 Combat Roadster 2020xx
'61 Matchless G3 350, ex-Dutch Army
'09 H-D XR1200

batrider

Postby ashman » Fri May 05, 2017 3:51 pm

batrider wrote:There are other Harleys and Harley riders that aren't into the pirate lifestyle. My 2009 XR1200 is very Norton-like except for the weight. Look it up. I got a free HOG membership when I bought my XR used from a dealer and I got an 18% reduction on my cell service as a result. I left after the first yr but still getting the discount! Please educate yourself before engaging keyboard. Or did you just post to stir up the pot. Why? Bored?

I have no problems at all with Harlies, in fact I use to own one, I am just having a bit of fun with my mates who change when they are riding their Harlies just the looks or impressions on their faces as well they also change their attude to other riders on different bikes, that is what I am on about and stirring the pot is the Aussie way, but they give as much as they get it all in fun and I am never bored, as well there are a lot of HOG members in the Brisbane club that do have a swollown head with full on attude problems when they are out and about in a group some have their Harlies so far up their arses it not funny, so lighten up it all having a bit of fun.

Ashley

ashman

Postby batrider » Fri May 05, 2017 4:33 pm

When I ride the XR my facial expression is usually one of fear!

Russ
'72 Combat Roadster 2020xx
'61 Matchless G3 350, ex-Dutch Army
'09 H-D XR1200

batrider

Postby ashman » Fri May 05, 2017 5:46 pm

batrider wrote:When I ride the XR my facial expression is usually one of fear!

Russ

I like that one, see you can joke about it and thats what its all about.

Ashley

ashman

Postby ntst8 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 pm

ashman wrote:I like that one, see you can joke about it and thats what its all about.
Ashley

Talking of jokes, i was amused recently when we were returning on our older Nortons from a girder fork/plunger frame event and stopped for a debrief at the last watering hole. There was a group of modern Triumph cruiser riders who seem to have adopted their own version of the worst of the Harley stereotype. We didn't exist it seems, but we still enjoyed our beer.
Iain B
'44 WD16H
'60 ES2
'73 850 Interstate
'12 Yamaha XT660Z
ntst8
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 6

PreviousNext

Return to Motorcycle Related Discussions