What are Norvins going for these days?

Post here for other Norton Models (not Commando)

Re: What are Norvins going for these days?

Postby gtsun » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Careful coco, don't say that too loud or your poor little bike will get it's feelings hurt. Then it will start to cry & dripp tears all over your drive way.

gtsun

Postby BrianK » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Sacrilege!

Just for that, you don't get it.

Sell it to me instead....

BrianK

Postby willh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:44 pm

A little update,

The reason this has been asked is my friend finds himself semi-retired with far more time to ride and less interest in wrenching. He now yearns for a modern fuel injected bike to push the button and go. He came across a new RC-8 at my local dealer and has fallen in love. He's sold a TRW and a first generation M-G Lemans but is still short for the new KTM and is wondering if he should let go of the Norvin to pay for the new orange bike. He has too many bikes but the newest is/was the M-G so something new can definitely be justified.
Sorry for the lack of photos, I've returned to work after taking a year off and am finding it hard to do what I have to do never mind getting done what I want to do. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to make it down to take some more shots.

Will
Last edited by willh on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willh

Postby britbike220 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:01 pm

I seriously couldn't imagine being fortunate enough to own a norvin let alone think about seliing one to help finance a new bike that will loose 50% of it's value within a year. Actually I couldn't imagine selling off a TRW to finance a new bike. I know, not my bikes, not my money, not my decision, but it just seems a shame. Can't you talk some sense into your friend. Certainly there has to be some cheaper modern bike that will satisfy his start and go needs. In my opinion a norvin is worth considerably more than an RC8, especially his.

britbike220

Postby mrlee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:49 pm

willh wrote:Image
The only picture I have on file. I'll get him to send me more with the details on the weekend.

IMHO that's about as good as it gets. Good gracious. AMAZING machine. :D :D
david

mrlee

Postby willh » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm

britbike220 wrote:I seriously couldn't imagine being fortunate enough to own a norvin let alone think about seliing one to help finance a new bike that will loose 50% of it's value within a year. Actually I couldn't imagine selling off a TRW to finance a new bike. I know, not my bikes, not my money, not my decision, but it just seems a shame. Can't you talk some sense into your friend. Certainly there has to be some cheaper modern bike that will satisfy his start and go needs. In my opinion a norvin is worth considerably more than an RC8, especially his.

I know... I told him...
My riding time has just about disappeared and the new ride to work is looking like tickets and death. May have to pass on my Orange bike to him.
Some of his stable kept in Quebec. He was riding the 500 as a daily for the last few years and now is riding the Triumph as daily transport.

willh

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 pm

mrlee wrote:
The only picture I have on file. I'll get him to send me more with the details on the weekend.

david

Yup...................
Never teach a pig to sing,
It's a waste of time, and it annoy's the pig.
Ride hard, or stay home.
Mike

MichaelB

Postby willh » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Looks like he's come to his senses and will keep the bike, hopefully until I can talk him into selling it to me when I can afford it...

willh

Postby britbike220 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:46 pm

That is good to hear. Any new bike is just a machine, either overpriced or priced just right, but nothing to keep for life.

britbike220

Postby pelican » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Seems like I see some vincent incarnation every couple weeks. Pretty cool that it seems the great majority of them are still used and on the road for being as rare as they are.

pelican

Postby not-ron » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

When you get one like this the skies the limit.....this guy actually rides this frequently but not in the winter :D
and I've stood next to it .It's about as close as I'll get....just out of interest you might like to check out the rest of the photo's on this site..he was an apprentice at Gus Khuns in the Sixties.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikerscafe/3596232944/
1979 Suzuki GS850
1955 Velocette MAC
1977 Commando interstate
1974 Suzuki TS 125 L
1960 Velocette venom
http://gs85079.piczo.com

not-ron

Postby t205843 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:15 pm

mrlee wrote:

david

Does "willh" still visit this sight? I believe the pictured Norvin used to be mine. Crashed at Shannonville in August 1977.
Sold to Peter Lecompte who may have moved it to Quebec from Calgary. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank
you. Ken

t205843

Postby t205843 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:26 pm

willh wrote:I have a friend that dropped by today and told me that he was considering selling his Norvin and asked what I thought he could get for it. I told him I'd look into it for him. This is a little outside of my league. Any Ideas or pointers to others that have sold recently. The bike is a twin in a '52 Featherbed. I'll dig up some photos and more details on engine year an model on the weekend.

Was the friends name Peter whom I've been trying to locate?

t205843

Postby acotrel » Tue May 06, 2014 12:47 am

It is a better thing than a commando, however what does that mean ? It looks as though it has the early manx frame and wheels which is good. It depends what you are looking for. As a period café racer, it is a great example. I think it would be worth $30K of anyone's money, however you would have to really want that sort of thing. As an historic racer in one of our classes they are good, however you would have to live with it whatever you did with it. It's a labour of love. For me to take on something like that, it would take a complete change of mindset to do it justice.

acotrel

Postby Rohan » Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 am

It says somewhere it has a bolt-up 52 dommie frame ?
The front brake is only an early SLS type, which must be interesting at speed ?

$30k for a Norvin ?
Good Vinnies can go for double that. ?? And more...
You only need the bolt-on bits to turn it back to a Vincent,
$30k for a lightning spec motor, going all road equipped is an absolute steal.
If anyone advertised it at that, you'd get killed in the rush ?

Someone mentioned Norvins in slimlines.
Not so sure I've ever seen that combo, do they even fit ??

Rohan

PreviousNext

Return to Other Nortons