Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Weep holes - cylinder head

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Weep holes - cylinder head

Postby Stephen_Spencer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:21 am

Good day all, some advice would be welcome,

I have been getting intermittent burnt oil droplets on the cooling fins on the right hand side of my 2015 961 CR; I was confused by this. I noticed following todays ride that there was seepage (oil residue) apparent around the weep hole (not sure that's what it is) on the RH side of the engine; located central to the third cooling fin from the top of the cylinder head. Leads me to think that the burnt oil droplets are coming from the weep hole. Has anyone experienced this seepage? I also have slight leak around the banjo union on the left hand side of the rocker cover. 2500Km on the bike.

I am awaiting the oil in airbag fix and crank case breather. My dealer is having problems getting the Australian importer to source these items. The bike looses/uses a little oil. I didn't check after the last ride but following todays 200km ride it took 250Ml to get the level to the bottom of the dipstick. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Like the majority on this forum, I see these faults as temporary setbacks in ownership of this awesome machine. I have been riding for 35 years and have never enjoyed a bike more. If anybody is looking for new tires I can recommend the Michelin Power RS very highly - no problem reaching the outside of the tyres and rubbing out the pesky Michelin men.

Best regards.

Steve

Stephen_Spencer

Re: Weep holes - cylinder head

Postby Stephen_Spencer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:34 am

Delete 'airbag'
Insert 'airbox'
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen_Spencer

Postby Britfan60 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:01 am

Stephen. I haven't experienced oil leaks in those areas. Only from a defective starter which has been corrected. 2013 Sport, 8400 miles so far.
There is an "edit" feature on these posts should you want to correct the "air bag" comment. I think most reasonable folks know what you are talking about anyway. :)
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 am

Are you sure you are checking the oil correctly, immediately after shutting down from a ride?

BPHORSEGUY

Postby TonyA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:15 am

Stephen_Spencer wrote:Good day all, some advice would be welcome,

I have been getting intermittent burnt oil droplets on the cooling fins on the right hand side of my 2015 961 CR; I was confused by this. I noticed following todays ride that there was seepage (oil residue) apparent around the weep hole (not sure that's what it is) on the RH side of the engine; located central to the third cooling fin from the top of the cylinder head. Leads me to think that the burnt oil droplets are coming from the weep hole. Has anyone experienced this seepage? I also have slight leak around the banjo union on the left hand side of the rocker cover. 2500Km on the bike.

I am awaiting the oil in airbag fix and crank case breather. My dealer is having problems getting the Australian importer to source these items. The bike looses/uses a little oil. I didn't check after the last ride but following todays 200km ride it took 250Ml to get the level to the bottom of the dipstick. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Like the majority on this forum, I see these faults as temporary setbacks in ownership of this awesome machine. I have been riding for 35 years and have never enjoyed a bike more. If anybody is looking for new tires I can recommend the Michelin Power RS very highly - no problem reaching the outside of the tyres and rubbing out the pesky Michelin men.

Best regards.

Steve

Hello , When you say weep hole are you referring to the water drain hole at the bottom of the spark plug access hole ? There should be one on each spark plug and these should be open/clear not obstructed with mud or debris. Also make sure that the spark plugs are tight , do not over torque them. You said you are seeing oil there. Have you had the 1000 mile head re-torque done ? Maybe you can clarify where this is again.

TonyA

Postby richard-7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am

Good point Tony. Head torque at 1000 miles is a MUST.
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby Stephen_Spencer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate your input.

I am checking the oil level at the end of the ride and immediately after I switch off the engine. 250-300ML to top up following the last ride, only approx 25ML back into the airbox (along with a little water strangely). From memory this is only the second time I have had to top up. Once before first service and this time at approx 2500 KM. I understand that the bike it is likely to use a little oil as the engine is running in.

I have not had the head torqued down. I mentioned this to my dealer prior to first service, who stated that in his experience this is not needed. I don't doubt your expertise in this area however, despite having some mechanical skills I am not overly happy with doing this myself given that the bike is only a few months old and well within warranty.

There is minor oil residue around the RH spark plug aperture drain hole. I will keep an eye on this. I am going to wait until the crank case breather and oil in the airbox mod kit are fitted and will monitor the situation from that point. I will keep you guys informed.

Really appreciate your input. This forum is an awesome resource, especially for those new to the Norton 961 experience.

Steve
Sunshine Coast

Stephen_Spencer

Postby richard-7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:42 pm

See if your exhaust header nuts are loose? ??? That causes stains. Can you post a pic.
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm

When you said you had to add 250ml after the last ride I think many people including myself would take it that you lost 250ml on 1 ride. Hence the how are you checking the oil question. I could sleep with 2500km!

BPHORSEGUY

Postby Stephen_Spencer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:56 am

Nothing to show on a picture guys as I've attempted to clean off the oil. I now have just a wider light brown series of stains on the cooling fins. Anybody know of a good engine cleaner that would work for the cooling fins?

I will watch consumption over the coming weeks and report back.

Thanks again for your input.

Steve
Sunshine Coast

Stephen_Spencer

Postby Bluedog 55 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:27 am

Hi Steve

Definatley need the head retorqued after 1000k I'm in Aus too if they haven't thought that was necessary I suggest they prob haven't sold many bikes.
Last edited by Bluedog 55 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluedog 55

Postby richard-7 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:43 am

I'm thknking its exhaust header nuts more and more. Go see if they are tight and let us know. And definitely torque the head.
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby TonyA » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:33 am

Good point Richard , The burnt oil droplets statement may bear this out .

TonyA

Postby NORTY2 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 am

richard-7 wrote:I'm thknking its exhaust header nuts more and more. Go see if they are tight and let us know. And definitely torque the head.

I had the same. Use your torque wrench and nip them up. solved my staining. And without question torque the head or get it done.

Whilst you have your torque wrench at hand, go around the bike. Spark plugs on mine were just over hand tight.

Mark

NORTY2

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles