Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

V-Twins in Featherbeds

Re: V-Twins in Featherbeds

Postby Matt Spencer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:52 am

The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby Matt Spencer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:00 am

No Rest for the wicked . ! Image a Cameron .

Matt Spencer

Postby acotrel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I love the look of that, however that is about all. I can imagine what it is like to ride fast on it. That motor in a Mk3 Seeley frame would not be all bad - you'd be able to get the weight well forward. I still believe the best motor to fit into a featherbed frame is the Manx. A 650/750 Triton can almost get there, however I would not attempt fitting the 880 JAP or Vincent motor. Even with a Triton you can find yourself going very quickly and have immense feelings of insecurity. I suggest that a lot about motorcycle racing lies in the bike creating rider confidence.

acotrel

Postby Matt Spencer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:44 am

if mores not enough , much more'd be better , then . :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-loj-PZqSpQ

in a current in Aus. issue of ' Octane ' magazine , theres a cyclecar - useing this type ANZAI crank case ( 2 litre ) with Wright Cyclone or some such cylinders & heads , for 3.7 Litre . :P

The 1925 Anzai V-Max. :D " Mighty Anzani 2000cc v-twin engine for the cycle pacer - chain-drive casting is for the magneto " " designed by Léon Vauthier for bringing racing cyclist up to speed; 120kp/h in 1925! "

Youd probably need the early wideline , to clear the cylinders . And a concrete block rather than a brick , for brakes . :mrgreen: Think its 1914 actually , the engine . ?

or the 1928 2.4 litre . http://www.yesterdays.nl/anzani-pacing- ... -1335.html

2 litre again http://www.bikermetric.com/vintage-bike ... race-bike/

http://goodsparkgarage.com/motorcycles- ... ed-racing/
Last edited by Matt Spencer on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Spencer

Postby Matt Spencer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 am

or if thats insufficently sophisticated ;

more pictures http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/europeanvtwins.html

or Uncle Sams version ,

found my photo of the R.R. Vee Twin 5 litre sooper charged today . But avnt got the tecnicalities to computerise it just now , assume Itd fit . :D

Scale it from the wheels , if you want to check dimensions .

Matt Spencer

Postby acotrel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 pm

I saw a TV coverage of the first time Wayne Gardner rode a manx Norton. He rode up on the bike and got off almost crying and said 'I never knew what they were riding'. I gave my son a DVD of videos about racing Bentlys that I'd downloaded and he said 'they were only doing about 115 MPH'. I think many people miss the point about speed in the old days. It is easy to look at that stuff in a scornful way and believe that the speeds they were doing was not fast. I think if you were riding that 2 litre motor pace bike at it's max capability, you'd be shitting. As for the Bently, I think sometime that I'm going to have to pay for a fast ride in one, it could be a real hoot.

acotrel

Postby wakeup » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Going slightly OT, for which I'm sorry. Aco mentioned Bentleys, presuming we are talking about "proper" WO Bentleys, before RR took them over.
When I lived in Southampton I regularly used to see a real 3.0 litre and it looked huge alongside the cars of the day, it was 1961 to 64. Well one day I was on foot, one foot, as I had a leg in plaster, waiting to cross the road which was a 4 lane road out of town. There was a gap in the traffic, me and my crutches scooted 1/2 way across, then I saw matey in his 3.0 litre, coming towards me in the outside lane overtaking some stuff on the inside. I reckon he was about 2 feet away from me when he went by. Going by the other traffic he was doing 45/50 mph. It sounded like it was idling, revving soooo slowly, and the exhaust noise was fantastic, not loud at all, it sounded like rattling a big stick around inside a metal rubbish bin. I'd love to see and hear one going quickly, no wonder Ettore Bugatti described them as "...the fastest lorries in the world"!
cheers
wakeup

wakeup

Postby acotrel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Some of the videos of the Bentleys on Brooklands look really scary. Apparently they were set up for the banked circuit, and were more difficult to drive on level roads. It must have been impressive when guys like Tim Birken had them and the nobs used to bet on them.

acotrel

Postby chasbmw » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:36 am

Racing Morgan 3 wheeler, don't be fooled by the twin magnetos, coils and Boyer sit behind the engine.

Charles

1971 fastback
1070 BMW R90s replica
1975 R90/6

chasbmw

Postby chasbmw » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:39 am

acotrel wrote:Some of the videos of the Bentleys on Brooklands look really scary. Apparently they were set up for the banked circuit, and were more difficult to drive on level roads. It must have been impressive when guys like Tim Birken had them and the nobs used to bet on them.

Photo of 1920s aero engined racing beast racing against 1924 non supercharged Grand Prix Bugatti at Goodwood a few years ago.

Charles

1971 fastback
1070 BMW R90s replica
1975 R90/6

chasbmw

Postby Matt Spencer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:52 am

Youd have to do a bit of cutting , to get it to fit in a Featherbed . :) :lol:

1929 Speed Six .

" The racing version of the Speed Six had a wheelbase of 11 feet (132 in; 3,353 mm)[10] and an engine with a compression ratio of 6.1:1 that produced 200 hp (150 kW) at 3500 rpm."

Bently 8 Litre

" The centerpiece of the 8 Litre was its six-cylinder engine based of the preceeding 6½ Litre. Displacing 7982 cc, the available 220 bhp could power even the heaviest bodies to 100 mph. To reduce weight the engine's crankcase was made from electron. " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ad7rD52nkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zji_woRTls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6govIwp7ru8

Matt Spencer

Postby Matt Spencer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:03 am

Matt Spencer

Postby acotrel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 am

Great in theory, but bloody dangerous !

acotrel

Postby grandpaul » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Anybody else going to post any featherbed v twins?
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby ashman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:52 pm

YES more Featherbeds.

ashman