Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Trump seems to be doing well so far...

Here you can discuss anything you like. Please be polite and respectful.

Re: Trump seems to be doing well so far...

Postby ntst8 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 am

[/quote] :idea: Perhaps all immigrants should go home. That would solve everything.[/quote]
Depending on how far the clock is wound back there would be some very empty places, we are all descended from migrants at some point in the past.
Iain B
'44 WD16H
'60 ES2
'73 850 Interstate
'12 Yamaha XT660Z
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
ntst8
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 6

Postby baz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:17 am

lazyeye6 wrote:
acotrel wrote:Whenever anybody tells me anything, I always take note of their body language and speech patterns.

I also make note of the region they claim as home. :idea: Perhaps all immigrants should go home. That would solve everything.

Wow that's a big can o worms!!
baz
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 am

baz wrote:
lazyeye6 wrote:
acotrel wrote:Whenever anybody tells me anything, I always take note of their body language and speech patterns.

I also make note of the region they claim as home. :idea: Perhaps all immigrants should go home. That would solve everything.

Indeed. This thread continues to take some strange, and deep, almost disturbing turns, that I don't think are relevant to me nor do I wish participate in.

I'll be over on the other pages if yer want me!
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Bernhard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 am

acotrel wrote:In Australia we say that sort of thing about Pommie bastards, probably because they make us feel inferior. We are much more at home with Americans because they saved us in WW2 and the 1917-1918 war in Europe..

Well........yes, but again you are a bit short on your history :roll:

Bernhard

Postby acotrel » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 pm

I've been reading a bit of history lately - about Captain Cook and also Tommy Townshend ( Lord Sydney). I don't think many Australians know much about their history. I never knew much about British politicians - Pitt the Younger or Lord Sydney and King George the fourth. - Interesting stuff. - We have currently got modern day aborigines defacing statues.

acotrel

Postby lazyeye6 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:57 am

baz wrote:
lazyeye6 wrote:

And........................the definition or "wry" is...........................
1974 Roadster
1975 Roadster
1970 Triumph Tiger
2016 Yamaha FZ-07

lazyeye6

Postby frankdamp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am

I actually went back to the UK for a few days to consider a return. Absolutely no way! Two thirds of the population seem to be from India, Pakistan, the Arab world, the West Indies and parts of Africa. White Brits are a definite minority.

The towns and cities have been greatly remodelled - I got lost within a mile of where we used to live. In my old neighborhood, about 2 miles of housing was demolished so a massive Tesco supermarket could be built I'm sure their car- park is visible from earth orbit.

All the old industries are gone (Leyland Motors, Leyland Paints, British Tire & Rubber, Leyland & Birmingham Rubber) and the town has become a dormitory suburb serving Manchester & Liverpool.

About the only area not messed up is round my sister's home. The Parish Church, built in 1064 A.D. hasn't changed much. She lives in a sheltered housing complex built around the Rectory to that church.

It was a sobering experience and made me grateful to be living in small seaside town in Western Washington. You live and learn!
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp

Postby cjandme » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:.....I'll be over on the other pages if yer want me!

Smart Move Nigel...not sure why I continue to peak at this thread. Gives me a chuckle I guess.
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby baz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:18 am

frankdamp wrote:I actually went back to the UK for a few days to consider a return. Absolutely no way! Two thirds of the population seem to be from India, Pakistan, the Arab world, the West Indies and parts of Africa. White Brits are a definite minority.

The towns and cities have been greatly remodelled - I got lost within a mile of where we used to live. In my old neighborhood, about 2 miles of housing was demolished so a massive Tesco supermarket could be built I'm sure their car- park is visible from earth orbit.

All the old industries are gone (Leyland Motors, Leyland Paints, British Tire & Rubber, Leyland & Birmingham Rubber) and the town has become a dormitory suburb serving Manchester & Liverpool.

About the only area not messed up is round my sister's home. The Parish Church, built in 1064 A.D. hasn't changed much. She lives in a sheltered housing complex built around the Rectory to that church.

It was a sobering experience and made me grateful to be living in small seaside town in Western Washington. You live and learn!
but those people have moved to the uk for a better standard of living i would assume? i would also assume you moved to the us for the same reason? the decline in industry in this country i find very sad i still work in heavy engineering but it's truly a cutthroat industry these days
baz
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

I used to work in defence manufacturing. We now rely on America for everything, what remains is simply political tokenism. Keeps any voters who actually think, happy. However it is all in the mind - 'if you have a victim's mindset, you will be a victim'. My feeling is the way forward lies in industries which don't use much energy - fine arts, music and movie making. All we have to do is educate people to seek QUALITY rather than buying on price. American movies are improving, but they can't do comedy.

acotrel

Postby Bernhard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 am

acotrel wrote:I've been reading a bit of history lately - about Captain Cook and also Tommy Townshend ( Lord Sydney). I don't think many Australians know much about their history. I never knew much about British politicians - Pitt the Younger or Lord Sydney and King George the fourth. - Interesting stuff. - We have currently got modern day aborigines defacing statues.

Each to their own, I have been very interested in the history of ww2 and find some things very fascinating of how one part of the war is related to another elsewhere, like ; how Hither financed the German war machine through looted gold using Switzerland as a clearing house ; During the war the Nazis took financial control of several countries some of whom saw their gold reserves depleted and swiftly hiked back to the Reichsbank’s bullion vaults.

secrets of war Nazi gold

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=se ... ORM=VRDGAR

http://therealasset.co.uk/nazi-gold-bullion/

Bernhard

Postby Onder » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:26 am

In response to Frank's comment on going home: "You can't go home again". If I went back to the village I grew up
in it is less changed than Frank's but it ain't the same nor is the area around it. That is east coast stateside.
So today what you do is move to where it is rather like what your home was years ago. And perhaps you dont want
to live like you did back then and prefer something different.
You dont have to be surrounded by immigrants in the UK if you move to the right area. Sure there may be some but
they will be a distinct minority.
Having more money than you did as a youth is, of course, a requirement. Money always helps. Always.

Onder

Postby acotrel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:04 pm

I was in England in 2008. It reminded me of parts of Melbourne and Hobart and it had a very pleasant feel to it. What I really like is the way they preserve the nostalgia kick. And part of that is motorcycle road racing.
I don't care about foreigners, because to me everyone is a foreigner. I simply take people as I find them. Most will do you a good turn before a bad one.

acotrel

Postby frankdamp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:36 am

When we lived in Leyland, the population was around 20,000. When everyone came to work, it went up by about 3x. Leyland Motors employed about 10,000, almost all from surrounding small towns and the other industries weren't much smaller. LM actually had a section of their car park reserved for employee-owned double-decker buses. The employees bought them when a bus operator bought new ones. It was easy, back in the 1950s, to get a bus driver license.

Now, most all the industries are gone, the factories have been demolished and replaced by houses and the population is up around 40,000, I think. Train services to Manchester and Liverpool are busy every day.
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp

Postby acotrel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm

A few years ago I was on holiday at the Gold Coast in Queensland. It appeared to be built on nothing but sand. There were a lot of problems with crime and most jobs seemed to be in catering for tourists. In most other places we have also lost our manufacturing industry. My feeling is that if there were products we could make and compete, we would be making them already. I suggest our future might lie in fine arts, music and movie-making, - they use less energy. I cannot see that manufacturing hardware can ever return. In the 30's depression there was an arts and crafts revival in the UK - history might repeat itself ? There are two ways of adding value to create wealth, one of them is by providing quality and the Brits are good at that.

acotrel

Previous

Return to Access Norton Pub