Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Trump seems to be doing well so far...

Here you can discuss anything you like. Please be polite and respectful.

Re: Trump seems to be doing well so far...

Postby Bernhard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 am

Question; of which Kingdom was Tahiti part of until its annexation in 1880 :?:
A ; the French, I’ll say no more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahiti

BTY, if the Poms gave Tahiti the clap, how come you Aussies haven’t been complaining when we shipped loads of people down under through the ages :?:

Bernhard

Postby acotrel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I recently read a book about Captain Cook's voyages to the Pacific. He ended up as mad as a hatter. He thought he could give the Hawaiians a hard time and they cut him up into little pieces. On his last trip, he had Captain Bligh with him. When Bligh later went to Tahiti with the Bounty his crew went sex-mad and mutinied to get back there. I don't think there was any more clap amongst our convicts than there was in the English population in London. Bligh ended up as Governor of Australia until the conservatives undermined him. He was not all bad.

acotrel

Postby Bernhard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:22 am

Not the full story there appears to be a large chunk missing from your version of the Bounty’s history lesson, Blight might not have been a bad man when he had mellowed in his old age, but read the following;

Bounty had left England in 1787 on a mission to collect and transport breadfruit plants from Tahiti in the West Indies. After A five-month layover in Tahiti, the Bounty made its way back loaded with breadfruits of which there was not enough water carried on broad to water the plants, the captain Blight, in his infinite wisdom, rationed the amount of daily water the crew could drink which finally sparked a mutiny amongst some of the crew- a sure fire death sentence if they were caught and court martialled, so the rest is history…..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty

Bernhard

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:25 am

Bernhard wrote:Not the full story there appears to be a large chunk missing from your version of the Bounty’s history lesson, Blight might not have been a bad man when he had mellowed in his old age, but read the following;

Bounty had left England in 1787 on a mission to collect and transport breadfruit plants from Tahiti in the West Indies. After A five-month layover in Tahiti, the Bounty made its way back loaded with breadfruits of which there was not enough water carried on broad to water the plants, the captain Blight, in his infinite wisdom, rationed the amount of daily water the crew could drink which finally sparked a mutiny amongst some of the crew- a sure fire death sentence if they were caught and court martialled, so the rest is history…..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty

Crew were probably of less £ value than cargo!

The 'good old days' weren't necessarily good for everyone I guess...
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:07 pm

It depends on who is telling the story. The conservatives have one version which was used to justify the actions of Captain John Macarthur in fomenting the Rum Rebellion. The left have another version.
In the good old days - ten days out of port and it was rum, sodomy and the lash and they were eating weevils.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Eddie, I think that many people such as yourself, don't have an appreciation of the Australian mentality. The convicts made us what we are. One thing we don't teach our kids about in school, is the Rum Rebellion, because part of the mindset involved still exists to this day. When Bligh was governor he had responsibility for running the NSW colony and had responsibility for doing public works using convict labour. The currency used to pay the convicts was rum. Macarthur was a free settler who had come out of regiment which was used to guard the convicts. He had his own still, so effectively printed his own money and used convicts to work on his property. Bligh confiscated the still, so Macarthur fomented a rebellion by impugning Bligh's character and ultimately arresting him. The Brits then sent Lachlan MacQuarie to restore order. Macarthur then went to London and approached the Privy Council to square-off. The Brits were not stupid, they had seen all the scams, so they sent him on his way. The descendants of the two groups - redcoats and convicts are still in Sydney to this day in the form of cops and criminals.

acotrel

Postby johnod » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Danno wrote:Trump will never resign. He can't admit the least little mistake, much less his biggest one- thinking he was qualified to run the country on the experience of being a big-time real estate crook.

It's the dumbed-down government-of-no-government that started with Ronny Rayguns and we had all hoped peaked with W. But never say never. To assume we couldn't elect anyone dumber than Bush II was a gross underestimation. Plus, this guy has diarrhea of the mouth AND constipation of the mind. At least W had the good sense to consult his handlers before he started shooting his mouth off.

As an outsider , I was confident you guys could not elect anyone dumber than Dubya, boy was I wrong.

I was also confident you couldn't possibly fall for the BS coming out of Trumps pie hole, wrong again.

Apparently , sadly, I've been giving you guys to much credit for common sense.

johnod

Postby Danno » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:51 pm

johnod wrote:
Danno wrote:Trump will never resign. He can't admit the least little mistake, much less his biggest one- thinking he was qualified to run the country on the experience of being a big-time real estate crook.

It's the dumbed-down government-of-no-government that started with Ronny Rayguns and we had all hoped peaked with W. But never say never. To assume we couldn't elect anyone dumber than Bush II was a gross underestimation. Plus, this guy has diarrhea of the mouth AND constipation of the mind. At least W had the good sense to consult his handlers before he started shooting his mouth off.

As an outsider , I was confident you guys could not elect anyone dumber than Dubya, boy was I wrong.

I was also confident you couldn't possibly fall for the BS coming out of Trumps pie hole, wrong again.

Apparently , sadly, I've been giving you guys to much credit for common sense.

His backers were smart enough to play the Electoral College "losers win" game and Hillary stepped on one toe after another, but there is much truth to what you say.

Danno

Postby acotrel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Trump is the President the Americans had to have. He is the natural extension of 'the cult of the individual'. However what follows will be very interesting - the reaction to Trump's idiocy. He is also good for Australia. We have elected some real ratbags from time to time.

acotrel

Postby Bernhard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 am

Yet another Trump sacking; White House communications Chief Anthony Scaramucci;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ector.html

From a long line;
https://www.bing.com/search?q=trump+sac ... rsationid=

Does this guy think he’s playing a party game called musical chairs :?: :(

Bernhard

Postby ashman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:33 am

Seems hard to get it out of his head "your fired"

"[quote=acotrel He is also good for Australia. We have elected some real ratbags from time to time.[/quote]

Alan I don't know how he is good for us here in Aussie land, yes we have elected some real ratbags but our ratbags don't have the codes that could destroy the world over.

Ashley

ashman

Postby acotrel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Trump lets Australian voters know what they DON'T want in a leader. I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would vote for Hanson, Abbott or Kennett. They are all obviously lame-brain idiots. If they are the best we can find to lead us, we are in real trouble.

acotrel

Postby Danno » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:04 am

Contrary to popular belief, not all Trump voters are mentally challenged. Many believe the poor, indigent and illegal are riding their backs for free and have become convinced someone like Trump will change that. What they fail to realize is the weight people like Trump add to their daily burden. The folks who have way more than they need and always want even more are much more of a load on working people than those with little or nothing scrambling to get anything they can.

Danno

Postby acotrel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:55 pm

I suggest most people who vote, don't know their history, so have little perspective on what is happening around them. Most of what I read these days are biographies and political histories. Modern political techniques haven't changed much from the old, nor have the people using them. I was reading recently about Pitt the Younger and Lord Sydney, when King George the Third went off his head. The corrupt guys wanted the king replaced by their mate, the Prince of Wales. Pitt and Sydney had their own doctor looking after the King, and they kept on delivering the prognosis that the King would recover, so forestalled the corrupt bastards until the King DID recover. With Trump you might have a similar situation.

acotrel

Postby Bernhard » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:04 am

Re; “With Trump you might have a similar situation”
So all hope is not lost :?:

Bernhard

PreviousNext

Return to Access Norton Pub