My friend got back, and called me to come on in anytime and get back on the lathe and mill; it took me almost 7 minutes to drive the 5 miles to his house!
First order was to trim the shoulders on the front brake plates to fit the wheel between the forkjs without binding them up; his Bridgeport may be old, but it sure produces accurate cuts-
Next came the single alloy split keeper. I found a nice alloy lug that was just big enough to chuck up in the lathe and went to it-
Yes, I know I could have set up the angle traverse and cut the bevel using straight cuts across the length of the stock; this was easier, and it's soft alloy. Calculating the angle and setting it up properly would have taken me an hour, this took 2 minutes.
A big plus was that the length of the pattern keeper I was copying was exactly the length of the bit's width. One cut to the final thickness was all it took. I simply held the pattern bit up to one of the lathe jaw's face and aligned the tool with it.
Step 1 complete.
Next, over to the band saw and a quick cut right down the middle produced two potential donors. I cut the shoulder off the first one and took some measurements-
The slightest of accidents with a belt grinder trashed the better half, so it was on to the other half-
Not perfect, but it's secure (of course my camera decided it was all done, so apologies for the cruddy phone photo)-