Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

The Roarer

The Roarer

Postby worntorn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:13 pm

My friend Dan Smith is at it again. He likes to build things that there are none of or perhaps one of in the world. There is one Roarer, Velo built it and Ivan Rhodes now has it. Dan will have his own Roarer soon.
Just the supercharger to go and then the motor is complete.
The entire motor and gearbox was created by Dan from raw materials, either from solid blocks of alloy or from castings made by him.

worntorn

Re: The Roarer

Postby bwolfie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Nice. Makes me want to find better friends :lol:
70 Norton Dunstall 810, 133981, FOR SALE
72 Norton Combat 750, 202996
73 Norton Commando 850, 301517
Wolff Welding LLC, Muskego, WI
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
bwolfie
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby swooshdave » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm

What will go into? I assume a custom frame?

swooshdave

Postby bwolfie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:04 pm

A little more info. Quite the piece of kit for 1939!

http://www.velocette-amateur.com/proto.htm
70 Norton Dunstall 810, 133981, FOR SALE
72 Norton Combat 750, 202996
73 Norton Commando 850, 301517
Wolff Welding LLC, Muskego, WI
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
bwolfie
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby worntorn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Once the motor and trans are done he'll build a Roarer Replica frame. That'll be the easy part. I've offered to build the tank as payback for some parts Dan gave me.
Brent is right, it is quite amazing just how advanced this thing was in 1939.

Glen

worntorn

Postby acotrel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:01 pm

It would be a real pain building something like that. If it is wrong in any single detail, the project is compromised. Your friend obviously has easy access to the real deal, however even so it would not be easy.

acotrel

Postby Rohan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:51 pm

The Roarer was none too successful, why would you want to slavishly copy every exact detail ?
What is there is stunning beautiful work, it must be said.

Don't know about those rear exhaust ports though, he surely is going to find that cooling is somewhat compromised (unless it can run alcohol ?).
Manxs with reversed exhaust were prone to dropping valves or valve seats in long races... ??

Rohan

Postby wakeup » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Rohan wrote:The Roarer was none too successful, why would you want to slavishly copy every exact detail ?

That's a bit stiff Rohan, seeing as the original only had the shortest amount of running before WW2 got in the way.

You are right that it's beautiful work. Very handsome prototype too!!

cheers
wakeup

wakeup

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:14 am

Ha

Fantastic piece of engineering. If you ever see the bike run with Ian or his son on it, (they can both ride) you can believe how good it would have been in the day.
Lots of fascinating bikes disappeared after the ban on charging came in.
I believe there is a clip of it on U tube.

Chris

Chris

Postby acotrel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:47 am

Have you seen the Type 35 C Bugatti replicas which are made in Brazil ? If you are not going to build a replica nut and bolt perfect, don't start. I think the Paul Smart Replica Ducati is a disappointment, also the ELR 1000 Kawasaki. If I want a replica, it has to be a replica and not some jumped up modern machine . Have a look at the MV Evoluzione 500-3 . I think a new replica costs $300,000 and it is perfect in detail.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/class ... z2hWztlUWU

acotrel

Postby Rohan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 pm

If you want a 'perfect' replica, then buy the real thing.
Its still not a real one if its only a replica.
Its the history that is worth all the $$$. ?

If folks didn't think they could build a better mousetrap, then we'd all still be riding penny farthings.

And if the Roarer had been any good, they would have raced it, and it would have had wins to its record.... ?!?

Rohan

Postby worntorn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Very few people are capable of building something like this, but for Dan it is pure entertainment. He also built a replica of the 1939 AJS OHC V4, simply because it is an interesting bike, none are left in existance, and he could do it. I have ridden that bike and it is an exceptionally smooth runner.
If I had the necessary skills to do something like this, I would be all over it.

Glen

worntorn

Postby mdt-son » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Glen,

Your friend creates stunning results. Please reveal how he gets sizes right. I trust he hasn't obtained the works drawings?
Does he use a CAD system?

-Knut
Assorted '60s Matchless models
'75 Norton Commando Mk3 (coming together)

mdt-son

Postby wakeup » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Rohan wrote:And if the Roarer had been any good, they would have raced it, and it would have had wins to its record.... ?!?

Apparently the only race meeting for the Roarer was the 1939 TT, where it was taken to give it a shake down run in practice, although not described as such. The designer Harold Willis had contracted meningitis in early 1939 and was not present in the IoM, in fact he died during TT fortnight. The Roarer was run in practice but it seems that it was too new to be run in the race, also Willis' death not surprisingly cast a pall over the team. Apparently by the time that development was stopped, the motor was more than competitive powerwise, and the handling was described by the great Stanley Woods as "the best "

TT fortnight then as now, is in June, the war in Europe started in September 1939, just a matter of a few weeks after the TT. The Velocette racing department ran on the thinnest of shoestrings, and Harold Willis was its kingpin. Velocettes plan was to run it in the Grand Prix in 1940. Sadly that was not possible, then after the war the FIA banned the use of superchargers.

So there.
cheers
wakeup

wakeup

Postby wakeup » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Rohan wrote:If you want a 'perfect' replica, then buy the real thing.
Its still not a real one if its only a replica.
Its the history that is worth all the $$$. ?

If folks didn't think they could build a better mousetrap, then we'd all still be riding penny farthings.

And if the Roarer had been any good, they would have raced it, and it would have had wins to its record.... ?!?

Maybe Dan Smith just enjoys making things. At the end of the day it's his money, time, and considerable talent that he's using. At the end of the project hopefully he will have a beautiful, running motorcycle that is a copy of one of the rarest motorcycles ever made, you certainly couldn't get any rarer. Personally I think the man is a legend for embarking on such a project, and his efforts should be applauded. Maybe he wants to sit it in his lounge and look at it, rather than sell it. It's his choice after all
cheers
wakeup

wakeup

Next

Return to General Classic Motorcycle Discussion