Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

The Official 2017 Barber Thread

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

The Official 2017 Barber Thread

Postby swooshdave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 am

phpBB [video]

It's that time of year again. Here's the video from last year. I need to repost the 2016 pictures because... thanks Photobucket...

It will be a grand time, we're planning the same trip with some slight twists. Staying on site was the best idea ever. We've secured an RV spot again, going to rent an RV and ride/drive down. This time we're taking MikeT as he's never been. And hopefully we'll get to see Wheels Through Time on the way back.

This is of course assuming that there aren't a bunch of hurricanes blowing through the area to make it messy.

Who else is going?
If you see a post of mine and the image links are broken contact me and I'll do my best to fix them. Oh, and thanks Photobucket...

swooshdave

Re: The Official 2017 Barber Thread

Postby cyclegeezer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:47 pm

I'll be there, and so will the person known here as defixione (hope I've got that right). I'm bringing my '74 850 and he'll have his '73 850. The featured marque at the Motorcycle Classics bike show on Saturday is Norton, shine 'em up and show 'em!
Ride. Wrench. Repeat.

'64 T100SC
'68 T120R Bonneville
'74 T150V Trident
'74 Commando 850
'08 Triumph Bonneville Black

cyclegeezer

Postby swooshdave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 pm

cyclegeezer wrote:I'll be there, and so will the person known here as defixione (hope I've got that right). I'm bringing my '74 850 and he'll have his '73 850. The featured marque at the Motorcycle Classics bike show on Saturday is Norton, shine 'em up and show 'em!

Well, let's make that Show the meet up site! Say 10am when the show starts? Be sure to wear your Access Norton shirt if you have one (mental note, need to get one...)

2017 Motorcycle Classics Barber Vintage Festival Schedule
Friday
10am Preregistration for Saturday’s Motorcycle Classics Vintage Motorcycle Show Begins: Featured Marque is Norton Commando.

9am Registration for the Motorcycle Classics Vintage Motorcycle Show: Featured Marque is Norton Commando.
10am Motorcycle Classics Vintage Motorcycle Show Begins. Featured Marque is Norton Commando.

1:30pm Judging for Motorcycle Classics Vintage Motorcycle Show Begins.
3pm Awards Ceremony for Motorcycle Classics Vintage Motorcycle Show Begins.

Sunday
10am-Noon Motorcycle Classics Sunday Morning Ride, sponsored by Hagerty Insurance: Join the editors of Motorcycle Classics for a leisurely ride through the beautiful surrounding Alabama countryside. The ride leaves our tent at 10am sharp!
If you see a post of mine and the image links are broken contact me and I'll do my best to fix them. Oh, and thanks Photobucket...

swooshdave

Postby cyclegeezer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:37 pm

I'll be there, my one job the whole weekend is trying vainly to arrange the bikes at the show. I have to run off all the folks trying to park in the show space. Not a way to win any popularity contests. I can't wait to see the expanded museum space, it was just about open last year.
Ride. Wrench. Repeat.

'64 T100SC
'68 T120R Bonneville
'74 T150V Trident
'74 Commando 850
'08 Triumph Bonneville Black

cyclegeezer

Postby BillT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 pm

I'll be there, in my Ram Promaster with my '73 850, Ranger 750 and a Matchless (either G15CS or G80CS). I have a system now, and hopefully will have all 3 running beautifully this year.

(new job has been pretty hectic, so have not spent much time in the garage or on the road this year)
'73 Norton 850 Commando - 3030xx
'69 Norton Ranger 750 - P11/1289xx
'67 Matchless G15CS - G15CS/1235xx
'61 Matchless G80CS - 61/G80CS/41xx

BillT

Postby swooshdave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 pm

cyclegeezer wrote:I'll be there, my one job the whole weekend is trying vainly to arrange the bikes at the show. I have to run off all the folks trying to park in the show space. Not a way to win any popularity contests.

You can't rope it off? Clear signage also helps. Something like "Norton Commandos Only, all others sold at auction!"

cyclegeezer wrote:I can't wait to see the expanded museum space, it was just about open last year.

It was tough to look at all the additional space and know that you had to wait another year to see it filled. It must have killed Mr. Barber. The good news it that it will be ready for us this year.

swooshdave

Postby jimbo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:43 am

cyclegeezer wrote:I'll be there, my one job the whole weekend is trying vainly to arrange the bikes at the show. I have to run off all the folks trying to park in the show space. Not a way to win any popularity contests. I can't wait to see the expanded museum space, it was just about open last year.
Hi, Sent you an email :mrgreen:
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:08 am

I sure WISH I was going. I haven't been on that track since 2010, now seems like a lifetime ago (actually it WAS a lifetime ago, my 7-year-old's lifetime!)

It's getting kinda too short notice, but I may be able to parlay my recent bike sales into a quick trip...
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby swooshdave » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm

grandpaul wrote:I sure WISH I was going. I haven't been on that track since 2010, now seems like a lifetime ago (actually it WAS a lifetime ago, my 7-year-old's lifetime!)

It's getting kinda too short notice, but I may be able to parlay my recent bike sales into a quick trip...

Isn't it just a short drive for you?

swooshdave

Postby bucksfizz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:33 am

I wish I were going too.
I've been for the past three years, but the cost of flying over there from England is just too much this year.
For me it was a good opportunity to meet up with my buddies from the US, including one who rides down from Illinois - he's an Iron Butt recipient.
First year was definitely the best when there was general car parking within the park - I didn't like being taken in by school bus.

bucksfizz

Postby swooshdave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 am

bucksfizz wrote:I wish I were going too.
I've been for the past three years, but the cost of flying over there from England is just too much this year.
For me it was a good opportunity to meet up with my buddies from the US, including one who rides down from Illinois - he's an Iron Butt recipient.
First year was definitely the best when there was general car parking within the park - I didn't like being taken in by school bus.

The bus wouldn't be fun but the place is so packed there's no room for cars. And it's a big place! I just love seeing all of the bikes in the parking areas. It's like an extra show!

swooshdave

Postby solarmoose » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:45 am

We're planning to be there and will stop by Saturday for the meet-up. We're on the road riding cross-country
and enjoying the last days of summer. If you're interested, our ride report can be found at:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/d ... e.1248731/
Looking forward to meeting you all.
David
57 Model 77
75 MkIII
solarmoose
VIP MEMBER

Postby Holmeslice » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:15 am

See you all there.

I will be relaxed at this event for the first time in many years, having been somewhat forced to take a "supervisor" role this year. But NYC Norton bikes will be out in force, with Dances' Seeley Commando and Seeley NRE, and other riders on a couple of Seeley G50s.

Please come poke your head in and say hello. And Swoosh, see you at Leeds Mexican.

-Kenny
Kenny Cummings / NYC Norton
High Performance Classic Street and Racing Motorcycles
http://www.nycnorton.com
Holmeslice
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby grandpaul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 am

Looks like I WILL be going!

I'll be delivering three bikes, and I will be on standby to ride monkey with Adam Cramer on his Triumph. His regular passenger may nit be able to make the trip. Can't race my bike because I didn't do a previous race this year. Oh well. Also, no room in the trailer for a Norton, so poop on that, too.

Hope to meet some of you there, and see others again after a 7-year absence.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby swooshdave » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 am

Holmeslice wrote:And Swoosh, see you at Leeds Mexican.

-Kenny

Not sure I've quite recovered from the last time there! :mrgreen:

swooshdave

Next

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles