Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.


Teaser...

Teaser...

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:40 am

"The Classic Motorcycle" magazine editor James Robinson took my Vincent out for a gallop recently, apparently it will be featured in the October issue, out in the beginning of September. Here's one of the pics they took (somewhat better than I can manage with my iPhone):

Image
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 3332
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Teaser...

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:59 am

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing !
Norton Commando Production Racer
Buell S1 Lightning
Ducati MHR Mille
User avatar

Paul
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 am
Location: Ghent - Belgium

Re: Teaser...

Postby bryan b » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:28 am

Hi
Good looking bike ,have you had it a long time .
1971 750 roadster
1969 500 H1 Kawasaki
1974 750 H2B Kawasaki
1200cc TP Norvin
2015 1200s stripe Ducati monster

bryan b
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 pm
Location: Yorkshire England

Re: Teaser...

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:50 am

bryan b wrote:Hi
Good looking bike ,have you had it a long time .


15 years. 15 very long and very expensive years...!
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 3332
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Teaser...

Postby worntorn » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Lovely Nigel

Unusual throttle cable routing. Normally it heads for the busy little space between tank and UFM. Was there insufficient room there?

Glen

worntorn
Posts: 3377
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Langley, B.C.

Re: Teaser...

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:12 am

worntorn wrote:Lovely Nigel

Unusual throttle cable routing. Normally it heads for the busy little space between tank and UFM. Was there insufficient room there?

Glen


Yes it is 'unusual' Glen, and I know it doesn't look very nice. But its deliberate, and is a case of 'function over form' as it gave the nicest throttle action and zero uneven pull on the cables (lock to lock) which happened when routed under the tank. It is complicated by the fact that I'm running Mikuni carbs and 2 front heads, space above the carbs, between the tanks, and generally everwhere, is tight, so routing will never be really 'stock'!
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 3332
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Teaser...

Postby Triton Thrasher » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:33 am

worntorn wrote:Lovely Nigel

Unusual throttle cable routing. Normally it heads for the busy little space between tank and UFM. Was there insufficient room there?

Glen



Too easily caught in something, the way they're routed in the photo.

Triton Thrasher
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 am
Location: Thurso, Scotland

Re: Teaser...

Postby Triton Thrasher » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:34 am

Triton Thrasher wrote:
worntorn wrote:Lovely Nigel

Unusual throttle cable routing. Normally it heads for the busy little space between tank and UFM. Was there insufficient room there?

Glen



Too easily caught in something, the way they're routed in the photo.

And do they not scratch the tank, on full lock?

Triton Thrasher
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 am
Location: Thurso, Scotland

Re: Teaser...

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:40 am

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Triton Thrasher wrote:
worntorn wrote:Lovely Nigel

Unusual throttle cable routing. Normally it heads for the busy little space between tank and UFM. Was there insufficient room there?

Glen



Too easily caught in something, the way they're routed in the photo.

And do they not scratch the tank, on full lock?


On a racer I'd be concerned about catching during mid corner fairing bashing escapades, but on the road, I think I'd have bigger things to worry about of owt came that close!
No the cables do 't catch on the tank.
But I may try alternative options one day.
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 3332
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Teaser...

Postby Triton Thrasher » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:53 am

I wouldn't go club race scratching on it either, but there are narrow roads with overgrown hedges, there's wheeling it backwards out of a shed, or in a crowded ferry hold, there's the wind pressure at 100mph into a headwind.

Nice bike.

Triton Thrasher
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 am
Location: Thurso, Scotland

Re: Teaser...

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:45 am

Triton Thrasher wrote:I wouldn't go club race scratching on it either, but there are narrow roads with overgrown hedges, there's wheeling it backwards out of a shed, or in a crowded ferry hold, there's the wind pressure at 100mph into a headwind.

Nice bike.


100mph?

Never been above 70... :mrgreen:
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 3332
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Teaser...

Postby worntorn » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:52 am

Fast Eddie wrote:
worntorn wrote:Lovely Nigel

Unusual throttle cable routing. Normally it heads for the busy little space between tank and UFM. Was there insufficient room there?

Glen


Yes it is 'unusual' Glen, and I know it doesn't look very nice. But its deliberate, and is a case of 'function over form' as it gave the nicest throttle action and zero uneven pull on the cables (lock to lock) which happened when routed under the tank. It is complicated by the fact that I'm running Mikuni carbs and 2 front heads, space above the carbs, between the tanks, and generally everwhere, is tight, so routing will never be really 'stock'!



I also have a Rapide here with two front heads and Mikunis. You've reminded me that I did have difficulty with the throttle cables on that one. I did eventually get them to work through the tank to ufm space, but it took forever to sort. Will take a photo and post it.
How do you find starting with the Mikunis? I have a lot of difficulty with this one, whereas the Amal Premiere equipped Rapide starts very easily. Also the Mikuni bike is very cold blooded whereas the Amal bike runs right almost as soon as it starts up.

Glen

worntorn
Posts: 3377
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Langley, B.C.

Re: Teaser...

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:16 am

worntorn wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:
worntorn wrote:Lovely Nigel

Unusual throttle cable routing. Normally it heads for the busy little space between tank and UFM. Was there insufficient room there?

Glen


Yes it is 'unusual' Glen, and I know it doesn't look very nice. But its deliberate, and is a case of 'function over form' as it gave the nicest throttle action and zero uneven pull on the cables (lock to lock) which happened when routed under the tank. It is complicated by the fact that I'm running Mikuni carbs and 2 front heads, space above the carbs, between the tanks, and generally everwhere, is tight, so routing will never be really 'stock'!



I also have a Rapide here with two front heads and Mikunis. You've reminded me that I did have difficulty with the throttle cables on that one. I did eventually get them to work through the tank to ufm space, but it took forever to sort. Will take a photo and post it.
How do you find starting with the Mikunis? I have a lot of difficulty with this one, whereas the Amal Premiere equipped Rapide starts very easily. Also the Mikuni bike is very cold blooded whereas the Amal bike runs right almost as soon as it starts up.

Glen


When I pulled the dust sheet off after last winter, I turned the fuel on, put the chokes on, and it started first kick!
I didn't drain the sump, charge the battery, fill with fresh fuel, nothing!
Whilst that is a sign of my neglect, it also goes to show how well the bike starts, 99.9% of the time it is a first kick starter, hot or cold or inbetween.
Why is it so good? Sadly its not an indication of my Vincent superiorority! The carbs were fitted and set up by Patrick Godet. He fitted his exhausts with built in gas analysers and had it on his rolling road for extensive testing and setting up. He did a bloody good job... Tre Bon!
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 3332
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Teaser...

Postby Jeandr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice looking Vincent, I like the front drum 8)

Jean
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Jeandr
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 2655
View Photo Album - Images: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:13 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Teaser...

Postby worntorn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:10 am

A bit tortuous but it works.

[URL=http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/worntorn1/media/20150816_084518_zpsydvb7vuf.jpg.html]Image[/URL

This might be a good compromise. I had Venhills make these cables up in their featherlight spec. They also made steel bends for the Carb top entries. If I was doing this again the cables should be 2 or 3 inches shorter overall.
Carbs are Amal and heads are stock, but it could also work on the two front head Mikuni equipped bike. The routing is pretty gentle and the Featherlight cables are low friction, so it's a nice easy throttle.

God those indicators are ugly. They are needed, but I must change them to something more palatable one day.

Image

worntorn
Posts: 3377
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Langley, B.C.

Next

Return to Vincent

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest