Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Teaser...

Re: Teaser...

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks Glen.

Indeed, new cables with 90 degree formed ends for the carb tops are on my list of things to do (although they're a fair way down said list)!

How were Venhill to deal with when getting custom cables made? Did you give them a drawing, or sample, or?

Presumably new indicators are quite near the top of your list...?!?
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby worntorn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Venhills were excellent. They also made up front brake cables in an extremely heavy gauge but still with the Teflon lining, which means less cable friction, more effort getting through to the brake arm.
I made up drawings for them, then faxed them thru.

Yes, sadly, after looking at the photo today, the indicators must go. :(

worntorn

Postby grandpaul » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:36 pm

What a beautiful bike.

What is the deal with the '2 front heads' mod?
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
JPN, 952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, VR880 SS, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby Bernhard » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 am

[quote="worntorn"]A bit tortuous but it works.

Image[
/quote]

love the "bed spring2 on the front brake arm :!: :D

Bernhard

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:01 pm

grandpaul wrote:What a beautiful bike.

What is the deal with the '2 front heads' mod?

Front heads were alleged to have a better port shape, particularly suited for making bigger etc. so was seen as a 'hot rod' mod back in the day. Personally, I don't believe it makes the slightest difference unless you're going BIG with the ports.

I only have 2 front heads because that what it came with.

But I actually think it looks better !
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Bernhard » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:13 am

Bernhard wrote:
worntorn wrote:A bit tortuous but it works.

Image[
/quote]

love the "bed spring " on the front brake arm :!: :D

Bernhard

Postby Bernhard » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:13 am

Deleted

Bernhard

Postby usefulidiot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:10 am

Looks beautiful...did it come with the grimeca front brake? i've got a goldstar with a grimeca and i think my stock rapide brakes are almost as good. I also have a rapide with front heads btw. From what i've read the front head thing first started with the Black Lightning. They spec'd 32mm intake ports, and the rear cylinder casting wasnt thick enough in part of the port...apparently it either broke through when enlarged or was very thin i believe next to the rocker area. So they put two front heads on lightnings....and people have been doing it ever since. I like the way my bike looks with both carbs on one side. From what i've learned my bike was sent back to england from canada to Harper Motors who fitted the front head on the rear, a shadow speedo, and ribbed brake drums.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/10347723_10152507877888226_8679965522923770511_n.jpg?oh=7df7ca3b0da1e7a4178a6a3efbdc95af&oe=5666E9C8

usefulidiot

Postby Fast Eddie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 pm

usefulidiot wrote:Looks beautiful...did it come with the grimeca front brake? i've got a goldstar with a grimeca and i think my stock rapide brakes are almost as good. I also have a rapide with front heads btw. From what i've read the front head thing first started with the Black Lightning. They spec'd 32mm intake ports, and the rear cylinder casting wasnt thick enough in part of the port...apparently it either broke through when enlarged or was very thin i believe next to the rocker area. So they put two front heads on lightnings....and people have been doing it ever since. I like the way my bike looks with both carbs on one side. From what i've learned my bike was sent back to england from canada to Harper Motors who fitted the front head on the rear, a shadow speedo, and ribbed brake drums.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/10347723_10152507877888226_8679965522923770511_n.jpg?oh=7df7ca3b0da1e7a4178a6a3efbdc95af&oe=5666E9C8

It came with no wheels, or brakes! Well, not strictly true as it came with the remains of the 'special' brake fitted by a PO: two Gold Star type drums welded back to back! Weighed a ton! Fork legs already drilled for torque arms too. The brake isn't actually a Grimeca, its an MV racing replica (cw mag brakes plates), a nice bit of kit that I had 'left over' from a race bike. So to me, it was a no brainer to fit it. I can't compare it to stock Vin brakes as I've never tried them!

The whole restoration was kinda directed like that: I didn't have a mag or Dyno, so went with elec ign and Alton, didn't have a clutch, so went for a multiplate, etc. Mostly this worked out. Apart from the clutch!

I agree fully about the two front heads, ie, no practical benefit, but looks better! I had two brass bodied shadow front carbs on it. Beautifully polished bare brass. But they were suspects in the reason it caught fire. So they now live in a box 'on the shelf' and I have Mikuni's on it instead (and a fire extinguisher in the underseat tool tray)!

Do you have an electric start? Reason for asking is I notice the big ass battery you've got in there!
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby usefulidiot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:14 pm

nope no electric start...that is just an exide case with a lithium ion battery inside. its a standard size exide case..i think it looking big is an illusion...however it is mounted long side out in line with the bike....i've never seen another "2 front heads" bike in person so i dont know if maybe someone would mount the battery differently. it fits well with the hold down though and looks right.

usefulidiot

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:52 am

Guess I've just been spoilt with mine being smaller than stock, which to my eye at least, makes it look a lot neater.

BTW, mine is an Oddessy painted black (they come orange). Had it for nearly 10 years now. In that time, due to various misshaps and disasters, the bike has done only 3,000 miles. But I have NEVER put the battery on a charger!

I'm running a LI Shoria battery on my Commando, but that has a high output alternator. On the Vin, I'm not confident enough in the Altons ability to run lights, and electronic ignition, and charge the battery in all situations (ie low speed night time use).
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Johnnymac » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:"The Classic Motorcycle" magazine editor James Robinson took my Vincent out for a gallop recently, apparently it will be featured in the October issue, out in the beginning of September. Here's one of the pics they took (somewhat better than I can manage with my iPhone):

Eddie... what a great picture! If that's your home in the background, can I come stay for a weekend?
1963 Norton Atlas
1966 Norton Atlas
1972 Norton Commando Combat
1974 Ducati 750 GT
2000 Harley Davidson FLHTPI-Police
2003 Triumph Bonneville T-100
Johnnymac
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:11 am

Johnnymac wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:"The Classic Motorcycle" magazine editor James Robinson took my Vincent out for a gallop recently, apparently it will be featured in the October issue, out in the beginning of September. Here's one of the pics they took (somewhat better than I can manage with my iPhone):

Eddie... what a great picture! If that's your home in the background, can I come stay for a weekend?

Well, the Vincent cost so much, sadly I had to let the gardener and estate manager go. So you'd be more than welcome for a long weekend provided you're good at removing Ivy and weeds...

And you don't mind sleeping in the stables along with the remaining staff...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Vincent