Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

TAIWANESE PARTS AND SELLING OUT TO CHINA

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: TAIWANESE PARTS AND SELLING OUT TO CHINA

Postby Madnorton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Having read the press release - what is in it for the Chinese, looks like they have just won the lottery with a new engine design they can sell 20,000 to who they like and sell a few hundred to NML. If is 2 or 3 thousand units, can NML ramp up production levels with the V4 also being produced.

From experience, I suspect they will benefit big time and rip off NML. Many global companies, larger than NML, have celebrated sales to China only to find the equipment was soon being reverse engineered once the fitters and techs have left. What would Santander and the UK government say with the loans given to NML surely there must be implications there, let alone Riccardo's IP, and another question - why not let Riccardo build the new engine at their new plant in Italy?

Despite the gloom above, where else could manufacture this engine at price needed to make it viable, sadly every major motorcycle manufacturer has parts built abroad from their native country. Hopefully it will pay off and we get a worthy product in the 650, if looks as good as the 961, I'll buy one.

Madnorton

Postby richard-7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:17 pm

I know I already said this but I'm still blown away the chinese wanted a gas engine design when china is pushing hard for electric engine. But. Who knows?
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby 84ok » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 pm

x74 the torque be with you

84ok

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles