Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

T160 electrics , indicators

Re: T160 electrics , indicators

Postby L.A.B. » Fri May 26, 2017 1:50 am

auldblue wrote:took the fight bar switch of fuse in and ok .

If what you meant is "...took the right (handle)bar switch off, fuse in and ok." then it may not be all that weird (if the original front brake switch is still fitted and connected) as the switch can move enough for the soldered joint to short against the housing.

I suggest that you insert a piece of insulation (plastic harness sleeve, etc. is ideal) between the switch and the housing as shown in the photo below otherwise there's a good chance it will happen again.

Even if it turns out not to have been the cause of the fuse blowing I'd still advise you (or anyone else with a T140V/T150V/T160) to fit the insulation if it still has the original front brake light switch.

(The grey/white wire would usually be white)
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby auldblue » Fri May 26, 2017 5:00 am

Cheers Les, unfortunately after the last fix I broke the small plastic pin, tried to glue it as it was not 100 % snapped and in the process bent the copper strip and broke the wire from the solder. It was not the tidiest repair was going to flatten the solder a bit and put a bit if insulating tape in, but the repair you have suggested is a far better job and easy to do. However the copper strip repair is just a .3 mm copper strip popped in the back of the original strip and the glue job was a failure. I made a new pin from a golf tee and it is working well, but do you think a small dab of epoxy to join the two copper strips together( as I am concerned that it may fall out of place) is a plan or not ? Do you have a better method that you can pass on?

Cheers Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby L.A.B. » Fri May 26, 2017 8:24 am

auldblue wrote:I made a new pin from a golf tee and it is working well, but do you think a small dab of epoxy to join the two copper strips together( as I am concerned that it may fall out of place) is a plan or not? Do you have a better method that you can pass on?

Is it possible to solder the two copper strips together? If not, then epoxy glue might work but not having seen exactly what you've done then it's difficult to say.

Another option would be to fit a (3/8" UNF) hydraulic 'banjo' switch.

G-BL773-3: https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/cat_de ... 20switches
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby auldblue » Fri May 26, 2017 10:50 am

L.A.B. wrote:
auldblue wrote:I made a new pin from a golf tee and it is working well, but do you think a small dab of epoxy to join the two copper strips together( as I am concerned that it may fall out of place) is a plan or not? Do you have a better method that you can pass on?

Is it possible to solder the two copper strips together? If not, then epoxy glue might work but not having seen exactly what you've done then it's difficult to say.

Another option would be to fit a (3/8" UNF) hydraulic 'banjo' switch.

G-BL773-3: https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/cat_de ... 20switches

I have a banjo fitting and it's not an expensive fix and by far a more reliable system. But I have wasted so much time and effort on this that I would like to get it to work just out of pure pig headedness.

Pretty Heath Robinson job but it got through the test all be it by the skin of the teeth. I did consider soldering it but with my skill level it would be a disaster waiting to happen, so epoxy it must be.
When I look at that photo , it's rough all right.

Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Previous

Return to Triumph (Classic)