Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Surgical spirit......

Member's Norton Restoration Projects

Surgical spirit......

Postby auldblue » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Will have to chop the rear loop and need to see if stick on reggie plate still flies. Tank and seat can be done with a frenched in rear light. I like the look.

Jg

I think that looks the mutts nutz set of clippies and rear sets and a nice wee 750 and we are away.!
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Re: Surgical spirit......

Postby gripper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:37 pm

G reg. has it got a widow maker frame?

gripper

Postby auldblue » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:59 pm

No gripper she has a braced top tube and camshaft points reg June 69. But it's won't be her that's getting the chop job. To close to my heart for that.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:08 am

The seat is a bit droopy, but otherwise I like it!
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby Interbak » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:18 am

Hey JG,

I have a '69 frame with the tail loop already lopped off if you're interested? I picked it up that way, no original frame was butchered by me in this process. I was going to use it for a similar project but it looks like I might be picking up a matching numbers '71 with a similar bob job to do that with. Strange, I looked for a couple months for a bobbed frame, then came upon two. I'm in Canada, so it might not be practiacl, but thought I'd throw it out there.

B

Interbak

Postby auldblue » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:17 pm

Interbak wrote:Hey JG,

I have a '69 frame with the tail loop already lopped off if you're interested? I picked it up that way, no original frame was butchered by me in this process. I was going to use it for a similar project but it looks like I might be picking up a matching numbers '71 with a similar bob job to do that with. Strange, I looked for a couple months for a bobbed frame, then came upon two. I'm in Canada, so it might not be practiacl, but thought I'd throw it out there.

B

Interbak, unfortunately the carriage charges and the recent fall in sterling has shot that idea in the foot. I had looked at a bike for sale recently with V5 close to home but crapped out. So thanks for the offer but I must decline, however the power plant for the Surgical Spirt has progressed.

auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Got bottom half back complete with PW3 cam. Delivered by "mountain Gorillas" or TNT as they are less commonly known. That rod doesn't look good .

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Plan A shelved, on to plan B .mneed to get a rear wheel and other odds and sods done , going to order some new parts over the next few days but my thoughts have drifted to another bike .

auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Twenty quid paint job, just a yellow colour I liked although I would have preferred Primrose (saw an MGC that shade once). Not perfect but do me.

Had the old look for three years ,time for a tidy up and a wee change. Old hopper look .

I will put different bars on ,with inverted levers and get the seat livened up a bit and swop the engine when I get the time.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Cleaned and de rusted the atlas barrels that have had 3/8 holes drilled and tapped and modified for the PW3 camshaft . Just having a dry run to see that everything fits as it should . Seem to have lost the tappets along the line but have another set which I will send for grinding the pump is also getting the once over. The valves and springs arrive tomorrow but can't make up my mind if I should attempt to lighted the rockers or not, the push rods are shortened to suit the combat head. The exhaust nut threads have been helicoiled but seem OK. The fins have been drilled for a lock wire but I have never had any slacken of with me .

The exhaust nuts need cleaned, came from eBay USA last year. The barrels are a big improvement on the earlier rusty photo.

Helicoiled and drill holes . Only a few more threads to try and a few more parts to buy.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:37 pm

That's the bike ready for the spring, almost. Couple of brackets , tank and ignition switch, new routed feel lines and a new assimilater inside the headlight shell the old one interferes with the fuel tank. Then strobe the timing and that will do till the engine and handlebar controls are ready and the seat will get a makeover also.

And grab rail brackets..... Sorted!
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby lcrken » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Looking good. Always satisfying to get a project back on the road again. Wish mine were going as quickly!

Ken
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 am

Cheers for that Ken , but I think I was being a bit premature it's back on the lift ( new exhaust pipe fitting) Heinz Kegler job, Dave Taylor steady , going to try new bars with inverted levers and some other bits and pieces as regards chain and switches and maybe bore the rockers and such but I am still waiting to get engineering work back , and I am getting lazy . Anyway it's the bike show tomorrow .

Cheers Jg

Oh and another small point , my new engine needs built!
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby cjandme » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:21 pm

auldblue wrote:...........Then strobe the timing and that will do till the engine and handlebar controls are ready ....

Your bike is looking good --rock on with your bad self-- :mrgreen:
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby auldblue » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Just about got the silencers fitted with the new brackets but made a balls up kinda lost my thought process after lacerating my finger when the deburring tool tip broke. However fitted the nos centre stand seems their hard to get but rosners had one and it does not foul the pipes. But it definatly would foul the low cigar snapped ones I think that's why my 69 FB has had the pin cut off at some stage in the past. Did the Kegler mod not the most tidy but ok.

I'll tidy up the t/s bracket tomorrow and wipe off some of the blood.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to Norton Motorcycle Rebuilds