Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Surgical spirit......

Member's Norton Restoration Projects

Re: Surgical spirit......

Postby auldblue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Cheers for the encouragement cjandme, I'm in it for the smell of the gearbox oil and the crunch of the gears!!!

Regards Jimmy
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby auldblue » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Set the timing as best I could ,starts and runs fine. Timing light packed up, new one on order. Also changed the clutch cable venhill job , clutch action great best ever. The mikuni cable is playing up I've got a new one I'll fit if I can't get it to settle . One of the guys came out when he heard it and said it sounded superb with the long mufflers. So far so good, oil light and new assimilater working well also. Happy days.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Ran the bike about 100 miles over the weekend, rgm head steady was a very poor fit spoke th them and was told I had an Italian metric frame and that's why it was not clamping tight. I've lived on a farm all my life and BS I can smell right away. After a search this seems to be a common problem and bugger all to do with .4 of a mm. I have to say I was disappointed with the response . The overall run was good , happy with things in the main but I received my new strobe today and will feel better when the engine timing has been checked.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby cjandme » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:33 am

auldblue wrote:........ rgm head steady was a very poor fit spoke th them and was told I had an Italian metric frame and that's why it was not clamping tight..... Jg

Maybe you could put the two halves of the clamp together in a vise and run a hack saw down the middle.
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby grandpaul » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 am

Some folks have shimmed those top clamps in with carefully cut strips of beverage cans.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
JPN, 952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, VR880 SS, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby auldblue » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I will pull the tank and try to measure the gap in the top collar of the steady and take it from there , don't know if clamp and cut would work cj but shimming is an option and seems less of a faff than grinding it to suit although more proper. The collar should be the correct size in the first place.

Got the new strobe so will get that done today but it does seem to be running rich on the VM34 going to check that out as well.

Cheers Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Norton Motorcycle Rebuilds