Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Stealth Canyon Racer

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Stealth Canyon Racer

Postby utahnorton » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Stealth Canyon Racer :shock: -Thought I’d post some pictures of a long term ’73 Commando project picked up in Wyoming. Don’t have any before photos but suffice to say it was in pretty sorry shape when I got it. The goal is to build a Commando that looks somewhat stock to the “untrained eye” but to those that know will easily see some upgrades-some visible and some not. The “stealthy” part of the restoration are all the internal mods that will hopefully surprise some of the folks I ride with on modern bikes. Having modern brakes will also help. I have no predictions on what kind of power it will put out-only the dyno will tell. I did use a lot of what I learned building the Stealth Canyon Racer :shock: by racing my other Commando. Some weight has been shed where possible but won’t know the total till I suspend it on the digital scale. I got my Commando Formula 750/BEARS racebike down to 327 lbs. Frame has been braced and used a heavy duty head steady-similar to the one on the racebike. There are still some major changes/modifications still in the works and have to make a wiring harness. I have all the parts to build a new 850 short stroke racebike but told myself I wouldn’t start another project it till this one was finished. The goal is to have the new racebike ready for Willow Springs the end of April. So that means I really need to finish the Stealth Canyon Racer :shock: by next month.

Cheers,

Tom Kullen
Event Coordinator
Bonneville Vintage GP
AHRMA 44x Formula750/BEARS
2010 AHRMA Sportsmen of the Year
tomkullen@bonnevillevintagegp.com
http://www.bonnevillevintagegp.com
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
utahnorton
VIP MEMBER

Re: Stealth Canyon Racer

Postby hobot » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:10 pm

LOL! No one will miss noticing its something special Tom. A hot rod Cdo under 330 lb huh, makes me swoon to think of the relief for me to lift back up. I see the adjustable planetary rear sets look hot to trot installed. Golden highlights hit me nicely as well. Best wishes on low times on the race courses.
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby lcrken » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Very nice, Tom. The only fault I can see is that it's in your garage, not mine.

Ken
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby utahnorton » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Hobot,
Didn't figure anyone picking out the gold splashes on the bike so quickly-but you got it right away. Trying to keep it consistent to four colors on the bike-metallic moss green, black, silver and gold (pinstripes or anodizing) spaced around. Decided the triple clamps and headlight ears were too much gold and the edges too sharp for my taste-they will be going on eBay. The replacement triple tree I designed sits on the welding bench of spontaneous replacement parts. It is CNC machined out of 6061-T6 and the rounded edges are more reminiscent of the Ceriani or Rickman triple clamps. I think they will look better on this Commando. The stem is CRMO. I’m also still on the fence with my rearsets. I designed them to have a wide range of adjustment but you are limited by the kick starter. They are pretty trick but might be a bit overstated. Still on the fence with them.

I don’t know Ken- your Norton Streamliner might look better in my garage and I’m only two hours from the Bonneville Salt Flats……

Still have some machining to do-inner primary for the Maney outrigger and doing something different than the usual circular cooling hole pattern for the outer. Also have to machine a rear brake caliper bracket but found the Brembo caliper that seems to fit best and keeps the weight under the axle.
Posted some more photos of the Stealth Canyon Racer :shock: See below....

Cheers,

Tom Kullen
Event Coordinator
Bonneville Vintage GP
AHRMA 44x Formula750/BEARS
2010 AHRMA Sportsmen of the Year

utahnorton
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jeandr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Fantastic attention to details, THAT is a nice looking bike.

Jean

PS Your shop is way too clean, it is the sign of a disturbed mind, when they take you away, I can take care of your bike :mrgreen:
Jeandr
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 25

Postby utahnorton » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Jean,

Ahhhhh! It's all in the camera angle!

Tom
utahnorton
VIP MEMBER

Postby 850cmndo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:14 pm

If I had your money I'd throw mine away. Very, very nice. Carry on....
'73 850 Roadster 300069
Assholes Sign Anything O5H

850cmndo

Postby lynxnsu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:24 am

very very nice project
to have access to CNC machinery is something to be jealous of
nice discs and yokes
lovely thing (the bike that is ) do you think the outrigger bearing is necesary? never thought so on solos , outfits yes because they jump more and tend to rip the mainshaft out of the gearbox wich is not good , especially with the additional weight but that is not the case on yours

lynxnsu

Postby gtsun » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:06 am

Unbelievably beautiful bike. I see that you have a nice set of braided oil lines that don't use the "stacked" fitting on the right side. Are thee available or did you make that fitting and the bolt? It's much cleaner than the typical stacked kind. Thanks, looking forward to seeing you at Willow in April. Glenn.
gtsun
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:07 am

Those are some far out footpeg mounts!

What a cool bike.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby bill » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57 am

sure has FAR better fabrication skill's than some of the so called professionals on here have

grandpaul wrote:Those are some far out footpeg mounts!

What a cool bike.
Windy
72 combat
www.switchbackcreek.com

bill

Postby utahnorton » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Jeandr wrote:Fantastic attention to details, THAT is a nice looking bike.

Jean

PS Your shop is way too clean, it is the sign of a disturbed mind, when they take you away, I can take care of your bike :mrgreen:

Jean,

Actually if you saw a picture of the mill and lathe you would see piles of unorganized chips there :lol: But getting back to having a sick mind.... Thought
I'd pop a valve cover to give you an idea what sick really is..... I lightened, polished and used a gram scale to make sure the intake and exhaust rockers were equally balanced using Dunstall's tuning manual. What can I say-we have long dark nights in the Wasatch during the winter. I didn't go as nearly as thin as he did as I do want the bike to be reliable and no I'm not going to dismantle the engine anymore to show you guys what's inside. :mrgreen:

Yesseri-I'd be a sick puppy :roll:

Cheers,

Tom Kullen
AHRMA 44x
Event Coordinator
Bonneville Vintage GP
utahnorton
VIP MEMBER

Postby bwolfie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:13 pm

I did the same with my rockers, I also made spacers instead of springs. I'm contimplating some Ti retainers and collars i've seen to go along with the mushroom tappets and lightened pushrods. And need to find some springs to go with it. It's a sickness.
70 Norton Dunstall 810, 133981, FOR SALE
72 Norton Combat 750, 202996
73 Norton Commando 850, 301517
Wolff Welding LLC, Muskego, WI
bwolfie
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby utahnorton » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 pm

lynxnsu wrote:very very nice project
to have access to CNC machinery is something to be jealous of
nice discs and yokes
lovely thing (the bike that is ) do you think the outrigger bearing is necesary? never thought so on solos , outfits yes because they jump more and tend to rip the mainshaft out of the gearbox wich is not good , especially with the additional weight but that is not the case on yours

Thanks lynxsu,

Here is a photo of the discs-a little smaller (10") and I think proportional and lighter (unsprung weight) on 18" wheels than some of the other aftermarket discs. Matching fork leg came from Norman White. With dual 4 puck Brembos and Ferodo Platinum pads it should work fine.

I have a small machine metal fabrication shop/art studio at my house. The mill weighs over 5,000 lbs and is a Varnamo (Sweden) brought over for the aerospace industry. Apparently they needed some parts right away and stripped the computer, servo motors, controller etc. off this one before it ever got used. I picked it up from a friend who had it stored in a hanger for years coated with the original cosmoline on the ball screws, ways, etc it came over on the ship with. Once you pull the servos off, you can't move anything so the mill had never turned a chip of metal! Picked it up for $1,800.00 and refurbished it with all US made Centroid servos, controllers, fiber optics etc. Then taught myself "G" code. Quite a project!

There is already a good thread on the Maney outrigger bearing..

Cheers,

Tom
utahnorton
VIP MEMBER

Postby Matt Spencer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:42 am

Er , wernt these STEALTH things all Mat Black or something . :wink: :P

The old caliper behind the Axles the Mass at the steering Axis Trick . etc .

Whats size are the carburators ? please .Is there such a ting as a Concentric
that doesnt pop stutter and woffle at neutral settings . Monoblocks & Mk IIs
appear to have non of the irrascibleity or petulance of the Mk 1's.
Not that it mattered on the race track .

Is it only Wine , in the Basement / cellar ?
The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Next

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles