Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.


Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Norton P11 discussions only

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby BillT » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:59 pm

The problem with dynamic timing on a hybrid is you can't access the rotor.

The trick is to accurately find TDC then do a static timing. Once running, one can only adjust by sound, then monitor engine temp (hotter means more retarded, in general)

Please chime in, anybody, if there's a better way
'73 Norton 850 Commando - 3030xx
'69 Norton Ranger 750 - P11/1289xx
'67 Matchless G15CS - G15CS/1235xx
'61 Matchless G80CS - 61/G80CS/41xx
User avatar

BillT
Posts: 1585
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:51 pm
Location: Broward County, Florida

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby pierodn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 am

L.A.B. wrote:Yes, but what method do you use to accurately find TDC?
How can you be sure your 31 degree TDC setting is accurate unless your starting point (TDC) is known to be accurate?.


Hi Les.
To find the TDC i use the comparator into the spark plug hole.
Please, can you explain a better method.
Thank you.
Piero
Last edited by pierodn on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

pierodn
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 am
Location: Gaeta Italy

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby pierodn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 am

BillT wrote:The problem with dynamic timing on a hybrid is you can't access the rotor.

The trick is to accurately find TDC then do a static timing. Once running, one can only adjust by sound, then monitor engine temp (hotter means more retarded, in general)

Please chime in, anybody, if there's a better way


Hi Bill,
I thought to use one body of a broken tachometer drive gearbox to fit the degree scale on the cam/rev counter cam nut for use the strobo light.
It might work?
Thank you.
Piero

pierodn
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 am
Location: Gaeta Italy

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby L.A.B. » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 am

pierodn wrote:To find the TDC i use the comparator into the spark plug hole.


I assume by "comparator" you mean a dial gauge or 'TDC tool' (below).

Image

pierodn wrote:Please, can you explain a better method.


A more accurate method is to use a degree wheel and 'piston stop': http://www.doov.com/apps/nortoncompanio ... &Itemid=10


pierodn wrote:I thought to use one body of a broken tachometer drive gearbox to fit the degree scale on the cam/rev counter cam nut for use the strobo light.
It might work?


It could work.
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 12171
View Photo Album - Images: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:41 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby pierodn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:06 am

Hi Les.
I have used the dial gauge and the TDC tool.
Sorry, I have read carefully "Companio" but I did not understand much, too hard.
Do you think that with the dial gauge the TDC find is not much accurate?
And what do you think about to fit the degree wheel on the cam right side?
Thank you.
Piero

pierodn
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 am
Location: Gaeta Italy

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby L.A.B. » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 am

pierodn wrote:I have used the dial gauge and the TDC tool.
Sorry, I have read carefully "Companio" but I did not understand much, too hard.
Do you think that with the dial gauge the TDC find is not much accurate?


If done carefully then you should be able to achieve an accuracy of within 2 or 3 degrees, the problem is that at TDC (or bottom DC = BDC), the crank can move 2 to 3 degrees with practically no movement of the piston.



pierodn wrote:And what do you think about to fit the degree wheel on the cam right side?


Yes, it should work. I would expect there would be small amount of 'backlash' from the chain and intermediate gear.
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 12171
View Photo Album - Images: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:41 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby pierodn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:58 pm

L.A.B. wrote:[quote="pierodn"

Yes, it should work. I would expect there would be small amount of 'backlash' from the chain and intermediate gear.


Hi Les,
I will try.
But i have some dubts.
I must mark the degree wheel on the cam to 31:2=16,5 degree with the red point (on the trigger) into the clockwise electronic plate hole (that i just have found with the degree wheel on the crankshaft)?.
Thank you
Piero

pierodn
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 am
Location: Gaeta Italy

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby L.A.B. » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:11 pm

pierodn wrote:I will try.
But i have some dubts.


We all have doubts, so all you can do is try, if it works, then good, if it doesn't then you try something else.



pierodn wrote:I must mark the degree wheel on the cam to 31:2=16,5 degree with the red point (on the trigger) into the clockwise electronic plate hole (that i just have found with the degree wheel on the crankshaft)?.


31/2 = 15.5 camshaft degrees but, yes.
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 12171
View Photo Album - Images: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:41 pm
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Set the Pazon on the back distributor

Postby pierodn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:37 am

L.A.B. wrote:
pierodn wrote:I will try.
But i have some dubts.


We all have doubts, so all you can do is try, if it works, then good, if it doesn't then you try something else.



pierodn wrote:I must mark the degree wheel on the cam to 31:2=16,5 degree with the red point (on the trigger) into the clockwise electronic plate hole (that i just have found with the degree wheel on the crankshaft)?.


31/2 = 15.5 camshaft degrees but, yes.


Hi Les,
Thank goodness, my young kids haven't read and not have noticed that I don't know how to do the splits!
Piero

pierodn
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 am
Location: Gaeta Italy

Previous

Return to Norton P11

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests