Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Sensors TRIAL

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Sensors TRIAL

Postby GKRyder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:13 pm

Kiwi961 wrote:I'd be happy to pay the little bit extra from 107 knowing I was getting the correct part and helping Richard to cover the costs. Just easier to buy from the one place. I wouldn't know where to start to try and buy these sensors in New Zealand.

I'm in that camp too.
One place and the right part.

GKRyder

Postby richard-7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks guys. Looking in to it.
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby speirmoor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 am

GKRyder wrote:I'm in that camp too.
One place and the right part.

Ditto. As much as I enjoy tinkering with the bikes I find I don't have the time anymore and would rather be out riding. To have a one stop shop is ideal.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
speirmoor
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Aye! 8)
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 9

Postby TonyA » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:24 pm

richard-7 wrote:Ok folks. Here is something weve been working on for a few months now. We have installed this in about 5 bikes in Canada with incredible results. ( I did not think my bike could run this good) If you're up to it, please try changing them and report back your results. Keep in mind I'm mostly looking for those who have also replaced the oem coil and wires with the upgrades. BOSCH COIL AND ONE07 wires.

NOTE: only use genuine BOSCH parts. Loads of fakes and some aftermarket places will cross reference. So do not buy from eBay!!!!

We did originally try a substitute not thinking it would be different but I promise you there is a noticeable difference.

Cam and Speed sensor
Bosch 0232103037

Head Temp sensor
Bosch 0280130026

We did a lot of bench testing and I'm not going to get into the details but rest assure we did a lot of homework in this.

NOTE: Im still considering this a trial. So do so at your own risk and report back if you're up for the challenge.

Hello Richard , I have tested the Bosch Cam Sensor and the Bosch Head Temp Sensor on my bike . Because I don't like to keep you waiting . The Parts work good , just like proper factory parts. If these last much longer even better ! I had a loose Head temp sensor , you know where the plastic plug head rotates about 60 degrees. This was the main reason I went for the change now. It looks like the starter may have to be removed to get out the speed sensor ? Can you verify this ? So , I went for about 100 mile test ride today and no problems to report . Just as a reminder to others , The head temp sensor requires heat transfer compound (white paste) to be applied to the sensor before installation according to the manual . I reused the aluminum washer under the Temp Sensor.

TonyA

Postby richard-7 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:35 am

Read my STARTER SOLENOID manual. It shows how to remove speed sensor without removing starter.

Thanks for the feedback back Tony. And for pointing out you need the heat transfer compound. These things I take for granted that everyone knows. This is a huge part of making manuals>>> trying to think of every detail so a new person can fully understand.
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby TonyA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 am

richard-7 wrote:Read my STARTER SOLENOID manual. It shows how to remove speed sensor without removing starter.

Thanks for the feedback back Tony. And for pointing out you need the heat transfer compound. These things I take for granted that everyone knows. This is a huge part of making manuals>>> trying to think of every detail so a new person can fully understand.

Yes , Richard . What I should have said is there will be some starter disassembly required to remove the speed sensor. I wonder what else that sensor does other than speedo road speed ? Thanks for you help !

TonyA

Postby Britfan60 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:32 am

Kiwi961 wrote:I'd be happy to pay the little bit extra from 107 knowing I was getting the correct part and helping Richard to cover the costs. Just easier to buy from the one place. I wouldn't know where to start to try and buy these sensors in New Zealand.

Porsche dealer. I believe its used in the Boxster. Also older Mercedes. 2003-2004 CLK models.
Last edited by Britfan60 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby richard-7 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:46 am

Yeah. Porche dealer would be the best if you have no connections. If you're a mechanic you can get them elsewhere.
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby nopdog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:10 am

Well down here in Australia these sensors are proving very hard to track down.
I have contacted the following.
BMW and Benz workshops only to be told that they don't use much bosch gear any more as it's getting too hard to find.
Numerous car part accessory stores Autopro, Supercheap , Repco all say sure those numbers mean this part will suit. A cheap some name copy.
I approached the local auto electrician who advertises that he is an "Authorized Bosch Agent". He came back with those numbers don't compute but he can get them under different part numbers. Are they genuine Bosch. Won't know till they arrive. I'll get back to you I say.
Even on ebay australia you can't get them.
I can find them under the part no's on ebay and amazon America/UK.
Even on Bosch's website they wont take the numbers but camshaft speed sensor and head temp sensor gets you to engine management systems for two wheelers. Are these the one's.

Hey maybe someone could give us aussies a web address in America or UK that has them in stock and will send them to Australia.

Thanks in advance.
Simon

nopdog

Postby TonyA » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:44 am

They claim to ship worldwide and there is a country pull down list that has Australia on it ! This is where I got my parts from Eeuroparts.com

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/41820/ ... aQod_XAFig

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/53471/ ... wEQAvD_BwE

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/6362/E ... EIQAvD_BwE

TonyA

Postby contours » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:11 am

Not to detract from the idea of ordering from ONE07, these parts are also available on Amazon.COM :roll:
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 9

Postby cehenard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:20 am

In the US, I walked into the local Advanced Auto store and ordered the two Bosch sensors on a Monday and the parts were at the store on the following Tuesday. I like to support local businesses whenever possible to help keep them in business. No doubt, online is convenient but it certainly has closed a lot of small businesses and put a lot of people out of work. I guarantee if there was a local Norton dealer I'd do my shopping there. Please excuse my political rant, I'm a small business owner. Love my Norton 961.
Charlie
cehenard
VIP MEMBER

Postby richard-7 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 am

So just a reminder, BOSCH is one of many manufacturers to be targeted for FAKE PARTS. We don't sell the sensors. But please purchase from a GENUINE BOSCH DEALER. The first set of Bosch parts came in as substitutes without telling us. They looked identical but the packaging seemed odd. No where did they say Bosch. Ended up going to the Porche dealer to get them. He told us how many fakes there are, so be warned!! They will work at first but the quality of the glues and plastics fail early from heat. As told to us. Plus when side by side, there were differences in readings. During testing, the genuine Bosch head temp reacted a lot quicker to the heat gun. Among other tests. If you compare specs. Bosch has a finer resolution too.
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby TonyA » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 am

All the parts I have listed from Eeuroparts.com are genuine Bosch . I was trying to help those who cannot find the parts in their country . That is all.

TonyA

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles