Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Sealing compound for joining the crankcase halfs

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Sealing compound for joining the crankcase halfs

Postby AZScott » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:24 am

I am in the process of bolting together the crankcase halfs of a '74 Commando 850. In the past I have used "Hondabond 4" (semi-drying liquid gasket) on Triumphs I have worked on. This has worked well. On the Norton I noticed there are some oil passages near the edges of the case that I will need to make sure the goop doesn't get into. Thought I would ask if anyone has a better compound or special tricks they have picked up to put the halves together.

AZScott

Re: Sealing compound for joining the crankcase halfs

Postby Matchless » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:33 am

Stick with Hondabond/Yamabond etc. They work well as you have discovered. If you block oil ways it is because you have used too much.

Matchless

Postby comnoz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:20 pm

I haven't found anything better than Yama/Honda/Three bond for cases. Jim
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Einstein
You're never too old, to learn something stupid.
nortonmachineshop.com
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
comnoz
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Permatex makes one now called Moto-Seal. Basically the same silicone polymer as all the /bonds but quite a bit less spendy.

Danno

Postby SteveA » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:33 pm

Danno wrote:Permatex makes one now called Moto-Seal. Basically the same silicone polymer as all the /bonds but quite a bit less spendy.

'Spendy'?
SteveA
VIP MEMBER

Postby comnoz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Danno wrote:Permatex makes one now called Moto-Seal. Basically the same silicone polymer as all the /bonds but quite a bit less spendy.

I didn't know Yama/Honda/Three bond had any silicone. They are a solvent based sealant.
nortonmachineshop.com
comnoz
VIP MEMBER

Postby ashman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:55 pm

comnoz wrote:I haven't found anything better than Yama/Honda/Three bond for cases. Jim

Yep stick with what works best, my crank cases have never leaked in the 40 years of ownership and have always used Yama bond on all rebuilds and the cases come apart easy when pulled apart.

Ashley

ashman

Postby concours » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 pm

SteveA wrote:

'Spendy'?

That's MSP (Minnesota) speak for expensive. :P
concours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby Danno » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24 pm

comnoz wrote:

I didn't know Yama/Honda/Three bond had any silicone. They are a solvent based sealant.

Yes you are correct. Moto-Seal is also solvent based. If you switched labels on the tubes, I doubt any difference could be seen between the Permatex product and the moto-manufacturer's offerings.

Danno

Postby comnoz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Danno wrote:
comnoz wrote:

Yes you are correct. Moto-Seal is also solvent based. If you switched labels on the tubes, I doubt any difference could be seen between the Permatex product and the moto-manufacturer's offerings.

Good to know. Last time I needed Yama/Honda/Three bond I ended up ordering it because none of the bike shops in town had any. Permatex may be easier to find. Jim
nortonmachineshop.com
comnoz
VIP MEMBER

Postby hobot » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:08 pm

I like the expensive blue snot stuff Rolls Royce developed but what ever you use might consider organic fiber thread laid in the seams as traditional on problematic aircoolled aricraft. Schimdt suggests non waxed floss for instanse.
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby ewgoforth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 am

ashman wrote:
comnoz wrote:I haven't found anything better than Yama/Honda/Three bond for cases. Jim

Yep stick with what works best, my crank cases have never leaked in the 40 years of ownership and have always used Yama bond on all rebuilds and the cases come apart easy when pulled apart.

Ashley

I use Permatex copper, it's orange in color. A very light smear so its translucent, you can see the aluminum underneath. Do you use hardening or nonhardening Yamabond. I think they make two or three versions.
Eric Goforth
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA

ewgoforth

Postby Nater_Potater » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:38 am

hobot wrote:...might consider organic fiber thread laid in the seams as traditional on problematic aircoolled aricraft...

'Was taught in A&P school to lay #40 silk thread along seam after applying sealant to act as a "crush washer". It works well!
1974 Norton 850 Interstate

Nater_Potater

Postby comnoz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:58 am

ewgoforth wrote:
ashman wrote:

Ashley

I use Permatex copper, it's orange in color. A very light smear so its translucent, you can see the aluminum underneath. Do you use hardening or nonhardening Yamabond. I think they make two or three versions.

Non-hardening.
nortonmachineshop.com
comnoz
VIP MEMBER

Postby hobot » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Not that is applies to anyone else, but the tar like stuff glues parts together too tough for me to deal with anymore and the grey thick *non hardening* stuff in hi heat hi elastic seam conditions I put Peel through spanking imaginary pissed off sportbikers became work hardened to fracture in place then weep oil so gave up on those over a decade ago thankyou. Putting together a metal roof water cooling spray system and will use blue snot stuff in its threads in case ever want apart again.
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Next

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles