Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Sealing compound for joining the crankcase halfs

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Sealing compound for joining the crankcase halfs

Postby Brooking 850 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:21 am

I use 518 for my timing cover where there is a gasket, use 515 for metal to metal surfaces, like the CC halves, TTI gearbox etc.
Regards Mike
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Brooking 850
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 2

Postby lcrken » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:55 pm

lcrken wrote:Well, rwalker28 piqued my interest, so I've ordered a tube each of Wellseal and Hylomar Blue (I'm almost out of it anyhow) from Pegasus, and the receipt shows the cost of shipping UPS ground, and no mention of the $40 HAO hazardous material fee. However, their web site and catalog still say both materials are HAO and will require the $40 fee, and must be shipped UPS air. AND, the receipt that shows just the $13 UPS ground fee calls the total cost an "Estimated" total. I fully expect to hear from them, with the additional $40 charge added, at which point I would hopefully be able to cancel my order. The last time I bought a tube of Hylomar Blue, I had to have the local NAPA store order it, but at least there were no extra fees for shipping, HAO, or anything else. I'll report on whether the order goes through.

Ken

Just to wrap this up, the Wellseal and Hylomar Blue both arrived today with no $40 fee added. So if you want either one in the US, Pegasus is a good source. It's $21.49 for a 100g tube of Hylomar, and $21.99 for a 100 ml tube of Wellseal. Pricey, but a tube goes a long ways.

Ken
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby Torontonian » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:10 pm

I was just thinking , what really starts the crankcase halves from sealing after time is something called "Shuffling". So the 3 bolts of the sub-frame to crankcase need to be checked for tightness periodically as they loosen up ,not found in the manuals. The top uppermost one seems to loosen up most from this. :wink:
Last edited by Torontonian on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torontonian

Postby Ron L » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Brooking 850 wrote:I use 518 for my timing cover where there is a gasket, use 515 for metal to metal surfaces, like the CC halves, TTI gearbox etc.
Regards Mike

I have used Loctite 515 (and its previous versions) for crankcase joints and to replace base gaskets for cylinder to case joints for many years. A secondary benefit is if any excess gets squeezed to the inside, it will dissolve in the oil rather than form little beads which either collect in the sludge trap or find there way to bearing surfaces.
Ron L
'73 MkV 750 Roadster
'74 850 Interstate
P11's
some Nortons in boxes
Ron L
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby WEAL Norton » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:33 am

I stopped using Hylomar dozens of years ago as I realized it got dissolved by my favourite motor oil, Castrol RS 10 W 60. For the last 15 years I used Silicone Omnivisc 1050 with perfect results.

WEAL Norton

Postby Torontonian » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:21 am

Why would a motor oil dissolve a sealant made for engines ? I just don't much trust silicones for this application . Bathtubs , aquariums etc. , for sure.
Last edited by Torontonian on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torontonian

Postby chasbmw » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:47 am

Hylomar is designed so that any excess that typically gets squeezed out on assembly of the engine is dissolved by motor oil and does not black oil passages, whereas random bits of hard silicone could get carried away to places they might do damage.

That's the theory anyway, I prefer the Yama/Honda/drei/ bond type sealants as I think that they do a better job than Hylomar.
Charles

1971 fastback
1070 BMW R90s replica
1975 R90/6

chasbmw

Postby DogT » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 am

Seems as I picked up my 4 oz of Hylomar at a local auto store for about $15, but that was in 05, so it might be $20 by now. I think I called them and they ordered it for me. But I think I'd use something easier to work with next time.
DogT
VIP MEMBER

Postby comnoz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:27 am

Here is my experiance. I have used Wellseal, Locktite 515 and Yama/Honda/threebond on cases over the years.

The Locktite and Wellseal sealed up good to begin with but after a few years the cases seemed to leak slightly at the joints.

The Yamabond seal has been permanent. The downside is it makes the cases tough to get back apart after a year or so.

So on streetbikes that I don't plan on disassembling regularly I use Yamabond.

On racebikes that come apart regularly I use Locktite 515. I might use Wellseal but it is tougher to clean up after disassembly than Locktite. Jim
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Einstein
You're never too old, to learn something stupid.
nortonmachineshop.com
comnoz
VIP MEMBER

Postby thunderbolt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 pm

COMNOZ do you apply the Yamabond to both case halves or only one before assembly?

Thanks

thunderbolt

Postby comnoz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 pm

thunderbolt wrote:COMNOZ do you apply the Yamabond to both case halves or only one before assembly?

Thanks

I apply it to both sides with a small firm brush. [a flux brush] Thick enough that it looks smooth. Then assemble it immediately. Jim
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Einstein
You're never too old, to learn something stupid.
nortonmachineshop.com
comnoz
VIP MEMBER

Postby thunderbolt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 pm

comnoz wrote:
thunderbolt wrote:COMNOZ do you apply the Yamabond to both case halves or only one before assembly?

Thanks

I apply it to both sides with a small firm brush. [a flux brush] Thick enough that it looks smooth. Then assemble it immediately. Jim

Thanks Jim.

thunderbolt

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles