Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

SBR Norton

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: SBR Norton

Postby Brooking 850 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks SteveA for the update, yes as ntst8 indicates, they did in fact take a spare engine with them, not sure if it was a methanol burner or not.
Young 'Flick' (James Flitcroft) has ridden in the Moto3 rookie classes and is fast on any bike , glad they are doing well regardless of fuel types and a good showing for the Anipodeans !!!
Regards Mike
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Brooking 850
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 2

Postby Snotzo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:12 pm

My 'source' (Gary Thwaites sponsor for his 7R and G50 rides) told me he was highly impressed by the SBR Commando's performance, which also includes the rider in this assessment. He was under the impression that the Croft organisers made a special dispensation for the motorcycle to continue to run on methanol fuel on the understanding that any results obtained would not be recorded.
He noted the crankcases appeared to have been machined from billets, and the frame seemed to be something of a cross between a Seeley and a Rob North, but notwithstanding any minor discrepancies, the motorcycle was quick in a way that impressed him greatly.
To find the SBR team at Donnington, I'm told to look for the Kiwi flag!

Snotzo

Postby Brooking 850 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Snotzo, yes billet cases made in NZ and initiated by the 'S' in the SBR name.
Jim Comstock has a set , as do I for my next build.
Regards Mike
Brooking 850
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 2

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi

I went & had a look at the bike at Croft & it is stunning.
Laughed my socks off when I was told the rider had flown in from Spain, ( Ive only seen little hobby kit planes take off from Croft)
When I was told its James Flit something or other I exclain James Flitcroft? are you joking! I wondered how many times he has ridden Croft cos he had it sorted. Was it running Methanol? Yes! is it eligable No! does it matter as its running for no points? & its travelled from the other side of the world? I dont think so. Loved seeing it, loved the workmanship. Maybe the rules in New Zealand are different but it fails on eligibility. Getting people out racing classics is the aim of the CRMC yet compared to running a classic how easy is it to run a post classic or FZ junior class bike. You cant run an original bike in Classic racing without it going bang, so stronger cases,crank rods bigger journals :D great engineering. The frame was astep to far in my opinion.
I speak as someone who cant find proof that a 960 was run in period. 920 yes but a stroked crank no. 1007cc anyone? The boundarys are getting changed /moved at every step & to stay out there you have to do the same, because if you dont you park your bike, which sadly is what we are seeing in the classic classes.

My thoughts. Still loved seeing it & applaude them for bringing it over.

Looking forward to seeing a couple of fast Nortons make it over here from the states. Any chance? you know who you are & we would love to see you here.

all the best Chris
Chris
VIP MEMBER

Postby jseng1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 am

Haven't been able to find out much about the motor internals. ntst8 mentioned some info about it having longer rods and short pistons. A modified FA head from raw casting. Would be nice to know more about the porting, valve sizes and cam.
Last edited by jseng1 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jseng1

Postby Chris » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:16 am

Hi

Only bit I was told is larger journals.

Seeley John will know more.

Chris
Chris
VIP MEMBER

Postby peter12 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 am

Read that its a Norton head, albeit heavily modified, not sure where I read it though!

peter12

Postby SteveA » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Chris wrote:.........Getting people out racing classics is the aim of the CRMC.......

Are you absolutely sure about that Chris?

The strap line 'preservation and use' has gone.....now we have some naff slogan drawn from naff beer adverts!
SteveA
VIP MEMBER

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 am

Hi Steve

We will probably have to wait for a resurgance of kids wanting to resurect their dads bike before we see any numbers again.
I watched a lot of people press the button on Saturday as I sat on Keiths van rollers. The Norton killed my mates electric starter battery :D

Chris
Chris
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:22 am

Chris wrote:Hi Steve

We will probably have to wait for a resurgance of kids wanting to resurect their dads bike before we see any numbers again.
I watched a lot of people press the button on Saturday as I sat on Keiths van rollers. The Norton killed my mates electric starter battery :D

Chris

To attract new, and young, blood, they need to create classes that are easier and cheaper to be involved in and stand a chance of being competitive in.

When the VMCC 'invented' the pre '72 specials class a whole glut of Tritons, Tribsas, Dresdas, Jim Lee specials, etc, etc materialised. It was tremendous fun too!
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby SteveA » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:08 am

Fast Eddie wrote:

Chris

To attract new, and young, blood, they need to create classes that are easier and cheaper to be involved in and stand a chance of being competitive in.

When the VMCC 'invented' the pre '72 specials class a whole glut of Tritons, Tribsas, Dresdas, Jim Lee specials, etc, etc materialised. It was tremendous fun too!

The trouble is all of those bike have now 'dematerialised', probably because they are too valuable as cafe racers now!

Classic racing does not depend on 'young blood', it depends on 'younger blood', middle aged people with a little cash, to act as rider or sponsor. People are attracted to ride/enter things they wanted as kids, and can now afford! Young blood only gets to race because older blood puts them there. Like the SBR team putting James Flitcroft on their bike. Pretty sure this won't be costing James a fortune.

Enter the world of production based racing, GSXRs, FZs!...... as Chris says 'push button racing'. And a lot of older guys get tired of a rebuild after each race meeting, when the alternative is check the tappets over the winter!

But enough of that..... the SBR...great engineering...compliant with antipodean rules...not compliant with US/UK rules...any more to say?

What I personaly think would be brilliant is if they built a bike to US/UK specs and then came back.......
SteveA
VIP MEMBER

Postby andre1 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:50 pm

I believe the SBR team is at Donnington this weekend. Wish I could be there.
Go Plaz and team. You're doing great work

andre1

Postby SteveA » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:21 pm

andre1 wrote:I believe the SBR team is at Donnington this weekend. Wish I could be there.
Go Plaz and team. You're doing great work

Lets hope the rider doesn't get any more dodgy chicken, which is apparently what put paid to last weekend's activities.

Donington is a good 3 day event, that for one reason or another I have only been to once! Just never has seemed to work out for us.
SteveA
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:26 pm

That Facebook page proves to me there are still young guys on this planet who have brains. My deepest regret at age 75, is that I did not listen to my mate when I was 20 and go and race in the UK. I chose to stay in Australia, become a scientist and raise a family. Some things are more important. You only live once ! These days my kids don't come near me.

acotrel

Postby 72Combat » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:

Chris

Here in NZ the CMCCRR extended out the 70's to a " Classic Seventies" class ( Japanese limited to pre 72), and now include pre 89 classes which are proving popular with the younger ( under 50) set. Pre 72 as it own class was struggling as are most of the classes as the riders get older and the bikes become worth too much.
I like my electric start 72 based BMW. I've seen the SBR Norton in action here and hard case to see it passing pre 89 bikes.
72' Combat
78' Ducati Darmah
73' R90 Race Bike
80' Moto Guzzi Lemans
74' R90s

72Combat

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles