Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Removing oxidation from old wire

Removing oxidation from old wire

Postby texasSlick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:57 pm

While making a splice into the 50 year old wiring on my Atlas, I skinned the old wiring to find dull brown, oxidized, copper under the insulation. A crimp connection would have high resistance, and a solder connection would be near impossible.

I removed the oxidation by fanning out the wire strands, and dipping the wire ends in cartridge brass cleaner, producing shiny copper in minutes. The active ingredient is citric acid. You can make your own by mixing 1 cup water, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1/16 cup salt.

Slick
1963 Atlas (Original Owner)

The Second Law (of thermodynamics) rules.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
texasSlick
VIP MEMBER

Re: Removing oxidation from old wire

Postby acotrel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 pm

If you put one small drop of potassium dichromate solution into that acid, you will probably find the copper will stay bright for years. You wouldn't do that to cartridges where the brass may be in contact with propellant. If I'm cleaning copper I use very dilute nitric acid with one very small drop of chrome solution added. It creates an anti corrosion effect which occurs at atomic level. It just needs to be hexavalent chrome which is added. You will see the copper change immediately from brown to pink and it will stay that way for ages.

acotrel

Re: Removing oxidation from old wire

Postby texasSlick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:11 am

acotrel wrote:If you put one small drop of potassium dichromate solution into that acid, you will probably find the copper will stay bright for years. You wouldn't do that to cartridges where the brass may be in contact with propellant. If I'm cleaning copper I use very dilute nitric acid with one very small drop of chrome solution added. It creates an anti corrosion effect which occurs at atomic level. It just needs to be hexavalent chrome which is added. You will see the copper change immediately from brown to pink and it will stay that way for ages.

Alan:

It is not easy for we non-chemists to find small quantities of such chemicals (dilute nitric acid, potassium dichromate or hexavalent chrome). Can you suggest an alternative, or commercially available product that contains such?

Slick
1963 Atlas (Original Owner)

The Second Law (of thermodynamics) rules.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
texasSlick
VIP MEMBER

Return to General Classic Motorcycle Discussion