Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Removing Ignition tumbler

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Removing Ignition tumbler

Postby Cheyenne » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Im sure it is here somewhere but my searches are not showing me what I need. trying to get the tumbler out of my 69 switch, it is a 3 prong

Cheyenne

Re: Removing Ignition tumbler

Postby triumph2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 pm

There should be a small hole in the side of the lock . push a small rod such as a drill shaft into it to release the plunger and pull the tumbler out.
'73 Norton Commando 850
'69 Norton Mercury 650
'65 Norton Atlas 750
'63 Matchless G80CS 500
'05 Triumph Rocket III

triumph2

Postby Cheyenne » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:36 pm

triumph2 wrote:There should be a small hole in the side of the lock . push a small rod such as a drill shaft into it to release the plunger and pull the tumbler out.

did that , but nothing there to depress. I do not have the keys

Cheyenne

Postby L.A.B. » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:39 pm

1969-ident-t26638.html#p352647

Cheyenne wrote:
triumph2 wrote:There should be a small hole in the side of the lock . push a small rod such as a drill shaft into it to release the plunger and pull the tumbler out.

did that , but nothing there to depress. I do not have the keys

That's the problem with the S45 switch.
For the pin to line up with the hole, the switch has to be turned to the ON position, which.....needs a key!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby auldblue » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 pm

If it was me I would replace the whole lot , on an old bike it's just something else that's going to give trouble and the last thing you want is an old dickey switch when your trying to get it going again. I bought mine through the Norton owners club.
Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby DogT » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 am

If you drill out the rivets holding the assembly together, the whole thing comes apart, but don't know if that solves the tumbler issue. Then use some small machine screws to put it back together. It probably needs some cleaning and de-ox anyhow. After 50 years mine became a large resistor in the on position. I think I have a post a long time ago with some pics.
DogT
VIP MEMBER

Postby lazyeye6 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:42 am

The tumbler on my original Lucas switch was worn out and an aftermarket tumbler I bought would not fit correctly.
I was unable to find a new OEM tumbler. So I bought a complete new aftermarket switch complete with a tumbler
but it would not fit the mounting hole of the tang attached to the back plate of the air box. I would have had to
ream out the hole to a larger size and I was unwilling to do this. So I found a used OEM switch on eBay for a reasonable
price that had been dismantled and reconditioned and it worked perfectly. It even included the original Union key
with the key code stamped on it.

If you remove the entire switch/tumbler assembly and take it to a locksmith he ought to be able to make you a
key that works provided you bring the correct key blank. He is unlikely to have an obscure British key blank in stock.
They are on eBay frequently. All of this will probably cost more than buying a complete new assembly.
1974 Roadster
1975 Roadster
1969 Mercury
1970 Triumph Tiger
2016 Yamaha FZ-07

lazyeye6

Postby DogT » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:23 pm

The 69 switch mounts in the left side panel, not the airbox. If you need a switch send RonL a PM, he may have one, he's prolly getting tired of me telling this, but he helped me out a lot with the switches.
DogT
VIP MEMBER

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles