Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Ray Petty gearbox and parts

Post what you are looking for here. Only classic bike related please.

Ray Petty gearbox and parts

Postby wilkey113 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:56 pm

I've got an original Ray Petty frame that I'm building up, and looking for a Petty PGT gearbox.
Also looking for any other Ray Petty parts.
Willing to pay fair prices. Please message me if you have anything.

wilkey113

Re: Ray Petty gearbox and parts

Postby gtsun » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:09 pm

I'd have to think that these parts would be very rare, have you had any luck finding them? And do you have an actual Ray petty Manx engine to go in that ultra rare frame? Is yours one of his 250s or 500s? I understand some of his 250s frames were actually smaller to fit the lightweight smaller motors. Pictures would be nice, good luck in your pursuit please let us know how it goes.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
gtsun
VIP MEMBER

Postby wilkey113 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:17 pm

The frame I have, is one of his frame kits. Only a handful built in 1969. They were the same as the racing machine, but built with added supports for twin exhaust. He was to offer them to customers who could chose either a Norton, Triumph or BSA motor, and built as a road machine.
Mine was never built into a complete machine, and I acquired the frame kit a few years back. I've been slowly building it to basically match the first one he built for the motorcycle show. Mine will have a Norton 650ss motor, and his original, had a Triumph motor.
The frame kit consists of frame, nickel plated swing arm, alloy petrol tank built by Lyta, alloy oil tank also built by Lyta, allow engine plates, nickel plated foot controls. The kit also included Girling shocks, which I didn't get with the purchase, but will substitute Hagon shocks.
It's got all sorts of other special bits as well. I'd simply like to get a Petty PGT gearbox to make it really special. He also had a special bottom yoke, which I've never seen outside of old photos.

Anyone out there that has anything, please please please let me know. It's going to be a nice machine, and I'd really love a chance at any Petty parts that you aren't using.
Cheers

wilkey113

Postby gtsun » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Wow! That does sound like it's going to be an amazing bike and it's really great that you not only appreciate how special that frame is but are doing something really cool with it. I'd love to see photos if you could.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
gtsun
VIP MEMBER

Postby cjandme » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:20 am

gtsun wrote:Wow! That does sound like it's going to be an amazing bike...... I'd love to see photos if you could.

+1 love to see some photos of it...maybe in other Norton or rebuilds
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Return to Wanted