Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Power Arc brand electronic ignition vs ?

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Power Arc brand electronic ignition vs ?

Postby westernjesus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:12 pm

My cheap Sparx brand electronic ignition has failed on me, so I am going to upgrade. A mechanic friend of mine swears by Tri-Spark, Boyer is a well recognized name, my brother has a Pazon and has not had any problems. In my search and research I found a brand on Oldbritts called "Power arc". I could find no reference to them on this site. Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems pretty advanced, has a built in rev limiter and you can map out a custom power band. But that also means it its one more thing that could go wrong. I like the fact that it is made specifically for a Norton. But at $100 more than a Boyer, is it worth it? It is less than the price of a Tri-Spark. And more options. Anyone out there using a P A brand care to share their experience? Us there another unit not mentioned I should consider? Money is a factor, but reliability is the number one issue. Thanks, Dan.
Last edited by westernjesus on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westernjesus

Re: Power advantage brand electronic ignition vs ?

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Do you mean Power Arc?

http://www.oldbritts.com/51_150101.html

(search "Power Arc")
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby westernjesus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:30 pm

You are correct. My how short my memory is between flipping from one site to the next. I'll edit...

westernjesus

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:36 pm

westernjesus wrote:I could find no reference to them on this site.

westernjesus wrote:I'll edit...

....In which case, you should now find plenty of references to Power Arc by using the search. :)
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Re: Power Arc brand electronic ignition vs ?

Postby pete.v » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

I would love to have a Trispark, I would also love to have Joe Hunt unit.
I do have a Pazon sure fire which has proven to be simply outstanding particularly for the money. You just cannot go wrong with this 7.5 year warrentee, $125 delivered, simple install unit. Awesome power curve, solid idle.

I sure would love to have a Trispark though, or a Joe Hunt mag.
1972 Norton 750 Commando Roadster
pete.v
VIP MEMBER

Postby westernjesus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Sorry mods, I found advice on the "power arc" so this thread can be closed if you see fit.

westernjesus

Postby hobot » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:01 pm

PowerArc is by far the most advanced and most expensive out there, IF you go direct to PowerArc site and get they top of the line programable units with up to 4 manual or sensor selectable curves. Old Brit sells one size fits all - universal dual curve for all Commando. Has kick start and idle stabilization and I think rev limiter.

Here's what's ya missing out on if not spending 1/3 more for DIY.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lJlUPEsL_c[/video]
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby rick in seattle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am

Steve,

I've not been able to find an example of an idle-stabilized PowerArc advance curve. Could you post one?
Rick in Seattle

1960 TR3A
1970 BSA 441 Victor Special
1972 Norton 750 Commando Combat
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk 3

rick in seattle

Postby pete.v » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm

rick in seattle wrote:Steve,

I've not been able to find an example of an idle-stabilized PowerArc advance curve. Could you post one?

PowerArc is also prone to kickback.
Good for race bikes, questionable for daily or every once in a while riders.
1972 Norton 750 Commando Roadster
pete.v
VIP MEMBER

Postby hobot » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Oh bother, Things are not as simple minded as being discussed.

1. Fred at Old Brits Does Not Supply a flip/flog idle stabilization curve on Power Arc Because they do not need it d/t the 3 sparks per stroke below like 6000 rpm. The reason others kits need a fancy up/dn curve is their mere one spark fails to fire at times so slows engine then advances some to give poor ignition time to pressurize then over speeds so reatards to even out again. Not a bad thing at all, very good in fact, for lessor one spark misfiring kits.

2. FRed can program in what ever curve [s] you like including Tri-sparks or other jig/jag initial curve up to pulling in some retard at top rpms the racers order up. Plus Fred's units have more than one curve to switch to - up to 4 he told me today. DAMIT I paid like $500 for this capability direct from Gary at PowerArc, so he'd selling a hi end bargain deal.

3. Fred and Gary both make a big point about 3 sparks per hit being whole 'nother ball park better running smoother. Gary sold me on tale of impossible to stop detonation hi CR Harley on race gas and best slections of other electronic wonders, till Power arc 3 sparker put in then ran best with most power on cheapest low octane fuel as burnt up quicker than hi octane.

4. Try to order special curves from any other ignition company.

5. Your Call and dime of course, Fred @ 253-735-2375 tell him hobot sent ya.

hobot

Postby hobot » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:49 pm

D/t desirability to retard some after 5500 rpm for hit throttle power [per comnoz] i stumbled on our Harley cousins mostly swearing by them and the attention by Gray. Apparently needs carbon HT leads or gets brain static or death stroke. Encouraging educational read to me. Oh yeah to get Powerarc retard at some rpm, program it to switch curves. About only ignition to run in 'reverse' for some engines or 2 engine boats and aircraft.

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=11934.0

hobot

Postby MikeG » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 am

pete.v wrote:
rick in seattle wrote:Steve,

PowerArc is also prone to kickback.
Good for race bikes, questionable for daily or every once in a while riders.

been using mine for 2 years now....kickback is not a problem if you are aware of it and follow the proper procedures
71 Commando
71 Triumph Bonniville
60 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
various other rolling junk

MikeG

Postby mschmitz57 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:01 am

My `73 has a Power Arc installed by the previous owner and it has been working fine.
Last winter I removed it and sent it to Old Britt's to freshen-up the programming to eliminate kickback
caused by the start-up timing advance programming. The built-in LED timing indicator makes setup super easy.
Good stuff.
Mark

63 Norton Atlas
73 Norton Commando 850

mschmitz57

Postby acotrel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:40 am

Thanks for that link L.A.B. It looks like a sensible way to go and the price is not unreasonable. What makes wonder a bit is the difference between Mikuni and Amal carburettor needles. I haven't checked Amals lately however in the 80s Mikuni always had more variety in the tapers available. To my way of thinking this stuff is always a balance between comp. ratio, ignition timing and jetting. Is there a programming manual for the Power Arc Ignition on the web ?

acotrel

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:27 pm

westernjesus wrote:Sorry mods, I found advice on the "power arc" so this thread can be closed if you see fit.

Closed? Are you serious?! It has to run another 35+ pages of debate first!

Don't know why the debate is needed tho TBH... It is an indisputable fact that Tri-Spark is best.

And that mags are for girls.
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles