Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Power Arc brand electronic ignition vs ?

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Power Arc brand electronic ignition vs ?

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:23 pm

pete.v wrote:Apologies back to you Eddie. I can't resist the chance to rant when I see a window of opportunity.

Although this may be good pub material, we are in only on page 2 of this thread.

My crank is stock along with rods and pistons so the short black, albeit rebuilt and tightened up, is rather generic. The thing that set me on a quest is the cam, and the radius lifter setup. The cam has some "come on" points, if you will, but not so radical that it can't be made streetable. After installing it, it seems, and still does, feel more than a stage one cam but as a back yard seat of the pants mechanic, I have only the stock cam to compare it to.

Mine was and is a trial by fire sort of process. I have no hard data or notes to share. My work was finding the most complete range of performance I could attain. It is amazing how dependent we are on the best possible idle we can get and it was always known and mentioned by JS the it was sure to be somewhat lumpy. It became obvious after trying different twin carb setups that 2 carbs and this cam would never be streetable for me. The story of the current tm40 can be found through the search. No need to go into that here.

The key word here is "streetable". Now that the I found a carb that would run with this setup, I now had to find that spark to drive it through the complete range, that is from the instance off idle to beyond redline (whatever that is with these radius lifters). Hence the Magnito!

So the end justifies the means here, for me anyways. My idle is still lumpy, atractive to some, but solid at 1500rpm. The bike is rather cold blooded and will pop a bit till hot, this may be due to the big carb. But then when fully warmed and drawing well it's truly something different from what it was before.

All this being said, this is just the motor and the running of it. All of the other things like primary drive, gearbox, wheels, bearings, brake and the endless list of required complement, have not gone without their due diligence.

Eddie, as mentioned, I don't have data or notes, but I think as a racer and experienced as you are, you can read between my lines and get the jist of what I have done and what I have. If there is any detail I might be able to expound on let me know and I will try to oblige.

Peter

Sounds good Pete!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Anglophile » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Well, after 13,000 miles my Powerarc has given up the ghost. I can only ride 5 to 10 miles without sputtering to the side of the road. After pulling the plugs I see that I'm getting no spark at all. After letting it cool for 10 minutes it'll fire back up until it gets hot again. Sounded like a carb issue (newish Amal Premiers, filters, peacocks) but it's clearly ignition related. After pulling the "points" cover I could smell that burning plastic smell although nothing obviously melted. Oh well, 13,000 miles isn't too bad. Any votes for the Pazon SureFire?
Aaron Bee
'71 Norton Commando 750

Anglophile

Postby comnoz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Any votes for the Pazon SureFire

It would get my vote, or a good old Boyer with some epoxy on the pickup coils and wires.
No electronics under the points cover.
And a correctly timed spark on the first revolution for easier starting. Jim
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Einstein
You're never too old, to learn something stupid.
nortonmachineshop.com
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
comnoz
VIP MEMBER

Postby ashman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Anglophile wrote:Well, after 13,000 miles my Powerarc has given up the ghost. I can only ride 5 to 10 miles without sputtering to the side of the road. After pulling the plugs I see that I'm getting no spark at all. After letting it cool for 10 minutes it'll fire back up until it gets hot again. Sounded like a carb issue (newish Amal Premiers, filters, peacocks) but it's clearly ignition related. After pulling the "points" cover I could smell that burning plastic smell although nothing obviously melted. Oh well, 13,000 miles isn't too bad. Any votes for the Pazon SureFire?

13,000 miles is pretty poor really, my old Boyar was in my Norton for over 30 years with over 100,000 miles on it without any problems at all, not even a broken wire on the pick up, I am now running a Joe Hunt maggie with over 30,000 miles on it now still untouched and starts first kick every time and the best thing not relying on a battery or any other electrics, so 13,000 is not good for any ignition system.

Ashley

ashman

Postby bill » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:22 pm

never was a fan of the power arc. the LED trigger and the routine to find TDC without a kick back was a real turn off. it was also found it was sensitive to cam end play.
Windy
72 combat
www.switchbackcreek.com

bill

Postby Mike B » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:05 pm

I haven't read through the entire thread, but did anyone mention Power Arc only has a 6 month warranty, vs Boyer 5 years, Pazon 7 years, etc. ?

Mike B

Mike B

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles