Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

P11 wheels

Norton P11 discussions only

P11 wheels

Postby elefantrider » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:40 am

Anyone here remember off-hand the number of spokes on a P11? Is it 40 front and rear? Rim size is WM2 19" front and WM2 18" rear if my memory serves me correct, but has anyone used WM3 on the rear?
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
elefantrider
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Re: P11 wheels

Postby gnolan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:20 am

40 is correct. Can't help with regard to a WM3 fitting the rear.
gnolan
VIP MEMBER

Postby Ron L » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:49 pm

According to the parts books (and the wheels in my shop)
WM2-19 front
WM3-18 rear
Ron L
'73 MkV 750 Roadster
'74 850 Interstate
P11's
some Nortons in boxes
Ron L
VIP MEMBER

Postby BillT » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:59 pm

I agree. The hubs are Matchless (AMC) so the spokes are straight - no figuring out the weave pattern, just slide the spoke through the hub, and where it hits is where it goes. The standard tires are 3.25x19 front and 4.00x18 rear - either Dunlop K70 or Avon AM6/AM7

I like the Avons, myself
'73 Norton 850 Commando - 3030xx
'69 Norton Ranger 750 - P11/1289xx
'67 Matchless G15CS - G15CS/1235xx
'61 Matchless G80CS - 61/G80CS/41xx

BillT

Postby elefantrider » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks! I was thinking of eventually fitting some used Borrani/Akront shouldered aluminum wheels.

I bet my stock Dunlop steel rims are all rusted inside and will soon find out.

One stream crossing and the water stays in there and slowly rusts them out.

Do not want Stainless spokes on this bike so need to determine if I can use my stock spokes with aluminum rims.
elefantrider
VIP MEMBER

Postby CanukNortonNut » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:49 pm

elefantrider wrote:Thanks! I was thinking of eventually fitting some used Borrani/Akront shouldered aluminum wheels.

I bet my stock Dunlop steel rims are all rusted inside and will soon find out.

One stream crossing and the water stays in there and slowly rusts them out.

Do not want Stainless spokes on this bike so need to determine if I can use my stock spokes with aluminum rims.

I went that route but with new Morad shouldered rims 19" WM2 front and 18" WM3 rear.
These look great with stainless steel spokes.
Cheers,
Thomas
CNN
On Any Sunday...A motorcycle is what ever you want to make it. Turn it on, and you can give yourself a real thrill...

CanukNortonNut

Postby BillT » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Remember that any rims need to be punched in the AMC pattern, and that the rear wheel uses the heavy off-road spokes, so nipples are a little larger than standard road nipples.

BillT

Postby CanukNortonNut » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:36 pm

BillT wrote:Remember that any rims need to be punched in the AMC pattern, and that the rear wheel uses the heavy off-road spokes, so nipples are a little larger than standard road nipples.

Thanks BillT
I got them from Mike Partridge at Walridge and he sent me the rims and spokes. I had no problem lacing the front which is central for offset but the rear spokes that he sent to me initially were on the short side and too much of the thread was still exposed when I lace up the rear hub. I had to send the spoke set back and he then got me some that were 3/16 to a 1/4 inch longer and these are correct. eg. no threads exposed above the spoke nipple when fully tightened.
Is there a offset to the drum side? I have a builder friend that said it should be 17/32" on the drum side and 7/16" on the speedo gearbox side.??? Does that sound right?
Cheers,
Thomas
CNN
On Any Sunday...A motorcycle is what ever you want to make it. Turn it on, and you can give yourself a real thrill...

CanukNortonNut

Postby elefantrider » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:23 am

Can you post some pictures of your wheels.
elefantrider
VIP MEMBER

Postby BillT » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Sorry, Thomas, I don't remember!

Yes, the rear wheel should be offset a bit to compensate for the sprocket/brake drum, but I can't find my notes.

Mike Partridge should be able to tell you, or Steve Surbey at AMC Classic spares. I'm sure all the AMC big bikes (G80, G11, G12, 18, 30, 31) had the same offset (except, of course, the G15/33, which had Norton wheels)

BillT

Postby CanukNortonNut » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:47 pm

elefantrider wrote:Can you post some pictures of your wheels.

elefantrider here you go. Sorry I was at a rally on the weekend.
The wheel as received from basket case:
Repacked Bearings and new Rim and spokes from Walridge:
All together and ready for truing up:
Cheers,
Thomas
CNN

CanukNortonNut

Postby elefantrider » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:56 am

Thomas, Thank you. Looks wonderful. The hub looks really clean and I like your stand. Is that home-made? Maybe I will try building wheels myself. Chris
elefantrider
VIP MEMBER

Postby CanukNortonNut » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:49 pm

elefantrider wrote: Is that home-made? Maybe I will try building wheels myself. Chris

Yes Chris,
I built that some time ago. :wink: I built a few wheels on it. Mostly commando.
Do a little research on wheel building from the net and give it a go.
Use a dial indicator or you could use a stick or pencil held close to the rim. I use the page stickies to mark the high and lows on the hop. Then I work out the side wiggle.
You will always have a little that you cant get out from the welded area of the alloy rim but it should be fairly easy on a P11 as BillT stated, the spokes are straight and the holes just line up "where it hits is where it goes".
Cheers,
Thomas
CNN

CanukNortonNut

Postby pierodn » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:11 am

CanukNortonNut wrote:
BillT wrote:Remember that any rims need to be punched in the AMC pattern, and that the rear wheel uses the heavy off-road spokes, so nipples are a little larger than standard road nipples.

Thanks BillT
I got them from Mike Partridge at Walridge and he sent me the rims and spokes. I had no problem lacing the front which is central for offset but the rear spokes that he sent to me initially were on the short side and too much of the thread was still exposed when I lace up the rear hub. I had to send the spoke set back and he then got me some that were 3/16 to a 1/4 inch longer and these are correct. eg. no threads exposed above the spoke nipple when fully tightened.
Is there a offset to the drum side? I have a builder friend that said it should be 17/32" on the drum side and 7/16" on the speedo gearbox side.??? Does that sound right?
Cheers,
Thomas
CNN

Hi Thomas,
You can read my last post about the rear wheel offset.
I have laced the rim in the center of the hub but now the wheel is not centered into the swinging arm, it seems to be 3 mm more on the timing side (the contrary of the commando).
I will relaced with offset but the troubles are other!
Ciao
Piero

pierodn

Postby CanukNortonNut » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 pm

pierodn wrote:
CanukNortonNut wrote:

Thanks BillT
Cheers,
Thomas
CNN

Hi Thomas,
You can read my last post about the rear wheel offset.
I have laced the rim in the center of the hub but now the wheel is not centered into the swinging arm, it seems to be 3 mm more on the timing side (the contrary of the commando).
I will relaced with offset but the troubles are other!
Ciao
Piero

Hi Piero,
The front wheel should be central between the suspension down tubes. The rear wheel offset "in my notes" should be 17/32" on the drive side (drum brake side) and 7/16" on the speedometer gearbox side. Use a straight edge along the hub edge to the tire rim to achieve your offset for the rim. How is the gearbox sprocket and rear drum brake sprocket alignment with each other? Use a straight edge. Make sure you have all the spacers in the correct order when assembling the rear axle to the swing arm. Looking at the ebay picture on your thread, I think the second spacer(.5665"x1.19" OD and .6200" ID) to the right should be on the outside of the swing arm on the drive side against the nut. The one with the groove should be on the inside of the swing arm on the drive side over the long spacer with the notches that are cut out for the swing arm adjusting slot. I hope this makes sense in the translation. Maybe BillT can pipe up for clarification.
Cheers,
Thomas

CanukNortonNut

Next

Return to Norton P11