Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

P11 wheels

Norton P11 discussions only

Re: P11 wheels

Postby pierodn » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi Thomas,
I understand well.
But they remain some questions.
I speak about the offset of the rim not of the hub.
The Gearbox sprocket and hub sprocket are well in line.
Is the rim that is non in the center of the singing arm and not in line with the front rim.
I know about the grooved spacer position but i cannot understand what it need if when you tight the axle this spacer has an end pay of 3 mm (it longitudinal dances!).
I dont understand when you speak about an offset on right and on left.
The commando has the rim (rispect the center of the hub) that needs to be laced 3mm offset on the timing side.
Let me know.
Thank you.
Piero

pierodn

Postby CanukNortonNut » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:08 pm

pierodn wrote:Hi Thomas,
I understand well.
But they remain some questions.
I speak about the offset of the rim not of the hub.
The Gearbox sprocket and hub sprocket are well in line.
Is the rim that is non in the center of the singing arm and not in line with the front rim.
I know about the grooved spacer position but i cannot understand what it need if when you tight the axle this spacer has an end pay of 3 mm (it longitudinal dances!).
I dont understand when you speak about an offset on right and on left.
The commando has the rim (rispect the center of the hub) that needs to be laced 3mm offset on the timing side.
Let me know.
Thank you.
Piero

Hi Piero,
Rear rim and hub is offset:
P. “I speak about the offset of the rim not of the hub.”
I’m not sure what you are asking here?
P. “I don’t understand when you speak about an offset on right and on left.
The offset as I set it, as per the recommendations of others who have rebuilt the wheels for the P11 AMC Matchless. I am going by these recommendations.
Use a Carpenters square and run it along the edge of the hub (without the brake drum) perpendicular to the axle.
This gap should be 17/32” or 0.5313” or 13.494 mm on the brake side. Between the straight edge and the rim.
On the timing side should be 7/16” or 0.4375” or 11.112 mm. Between the straight edge and the rim. (if you are using a WM3 rim).
P. “The Gearbox sprocket and hub sprocket are well in line.”
If it lines up well then your spacers should be in proper order.
P. “I know about the grooved spacer position but i cannot understand what it need if when you tight the axle this spacer has an end pay of 3 mm (it longitudinal dances!).”
Is your rear brake plate that holds the shoes and outer cover on? That would take up the 3 mm
Edit: Not so sure if the grooved spacer should be inboard of the brake plate and outer cover or outboard. The picture that I took at Barber may indicate that it is outside of the brake plate and cover.
Others who have running P11 please verify.
Cheers,
Thomas
On Any Sunday...A motorcycle is what ever you want to make it. Turn it on, and you can give yourself a real thrill...

CanukNortonNut

Postby CanukNortonNut » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:21 pm

I have checked some of my pictures on the grooved spacer and It is indeed outside of the brake plate and chrome cover.
Cheers,
Thomas
On Any Sunday...A motorcycle is what ever you want to make it. Turn it on, and you can give yourself a real thrill...

CanukNortonNut

Postby pierodn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:16 am

Hi Thomas,
thank you.
I have understood now what you mean.
I use a rear WM3 and i will laced it again with the correct offset.
Remains the problem that the wheel locks up when i tight the spindle.
Piero

pierodn

Previous

Return to Norton P11