Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

One throttle cable

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: One throttle cable

Postby Fast Eddie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 am

I have run twin carbs on Triumphs for donkeys years and never understood all the complaints about going out of synch etc, etc.

However, I was taught by Dave Degens to use always use a cable splitter, and to use the shortest possible cable from carb to splitter, and then a single cable from splitter to twist grip routed in the smoothest possible way. Set up like this, twin carbs were always fuss free for me. The downside is that this necessitates making custom cables all of the time. It's not always easy to find space under the tank and close to the carbs for a splitter either.

Then, earlier this year, I got a 68' Bonnie with twin carbs and stock twin cable / twin twist grip set up. NOW I UNDERSTAND THE COMPLAINERS! It's a right faff getting it right, just moving the bars side to side effects carb synchronisation and they definitely require re adjusting fairly frequently, at least until new cables have 'settled down'.

It made me realise that twin cables, along with partially blocked / partially worn old Amals fitted to a partially worn out old Commando must be a f***ing nightmare, and there's no wonder folk get cheesed of with them!

By contrast, my Commando has FCR carbs which are linked together as standard from cNw and, of course, they NEVER go remotely out of synch.

I would venture to suggest that Madass's kit, along with decent Premier carbs, will resolve all such twin carb / worn carb complaints, really making a single carb conversation largely irrelevant IMHO.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Yakatak » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 am

Just a note for anyone installing this kit. I was initially finding it impossible to align the carbs with the base plate, until I realized that the carbs were contacting each other. I had to remove material from the carb mounting ears and the unused, inside idle screw casting. The carbs are Amal 932 Premiers.

Also...remember to stuff a rag or such down the carb throats while doing this. Don't be the guy wondering where the little #10 washer sailed to, particularly if it's a stainless steel washer that can't be fished out with a magnet.

Jon in SC
1972 Norton Commando Cafe (from Hi-Rider)
1972 Norton Commando Roadster-Combat

Yakatak

Postby madass140 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 am

Jon, I never had any issues with the Premiers and no one else so far has had this issue, the touching of the carbs at the idle screws has been an issue
with Amal MK1's since time began .
Don
mylasttriton.jpg[img]mylasttriton.jpg[/img]
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
madass140
VIP MEMBER

Postby swooshdave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Yakatak wrote:Just a note for anyone installing this kit. I was initially finding it impossible to align the carbs with the base plate, until I realized that the carbs were contacting each other. I had to remove material from the carb mounting ears and the unused, inside idle screw casting. The carbs are Amal 932 Premiers.

Also...remember to stuff a rag or such down the carb throats while doing this. Don't be the guy wondering where the little #10 washer sailed to, particularly if it's a stainless steel washer that can't be fished out with a magnet.

Jon in SC

You got non-Commando carbs. There are specific ones just for the Commandos with the material removed. Either you didn't order them correctly or someone didn't supply them correctly. It would be not surprising for Amal to send the wrong ones.
If you see a post of mine and the image links are broken contact me and I'll do my best to fix them. Oh, and thanks Photobucket...

swooshdave

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles