Oil pressure gauge

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Oil pressure gauge

Postby ashman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 am

Hi All

Mounting up a oil pressure gauge on my 850, like to know how everyone else that is running a gauge where they connect it to the oil line, I was given this new Smiths gauge over 35 years ago and never fitted it, I forgot all about it till last year when found it still in its box, when I got my Smiths speedo and Taco rebuilt at Otto's Insturments in Brisbane, Ian had the oil line kit for this gauge, so its about time I should put it on and it looks good.

Ashley
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
ashman
VIP MEMBER

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Postby maylar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:02 am

Typically they attach with a banjo fitting where the high pressure side feeds the head.
Dave from CT
850 MKII

maylar

Postby Reggie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Ashman wrote;
like to know how everyone else that is running a gauge where they connect it to the oil line

A double banjo bolt in the near side of the rocker feed.
I can post a photo if it helps?

Reggie

Postby ashman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi Reggie

A pic would be great, its what I was planning on doing but just throught I ask before I started it, the other way was to put a tee peice in between the oil line that goes from rightside to the left rocker,

Many thanks

Ashley
ashman
VIP MEMBER

Postby Foxy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:14 am

Gday Ash, Nortonspeed posted a while back a pic of his T junction feed to an oil pressure gauge. It was a very neat job along with the rest of his build! Do a search and hopefully the pic is still there as sometimes they are removed from photobucket etc!
foxy
Learn by others mistakes as you don't live long enough to make them all yourself!
I farm so you can eat!
Life without a joke/laugh is just not funny!!

Foxy

Postby hobot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:21 am

Ya know if ya drill through either the two outer head steady holes ya can tap oil PSI there with a banjo bolt. If the spindles are drilled through then head can feed from one side and the other can be gauge tap. This is how I think I'll do Peel, but I have not yet figured out how to connect the standard oil line to the tiny gauge tube. Ms Peel should be as tight inside as these things get so with a gauge I can play with oil grade till some pressure still shows at hi heat rpms. I like seeing the gauges that run the tube up through the steering stem but its extra effort I don't expect I'll ever do on my special. Space is limited on Peel bars for all the gauges she'll have so considering a digital display cluster.
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby Reggie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Sorry about the delay......have had to go to work today. :cry: :cry:

I have the Old Britts oil pressure gauge assembly on my Norton,If you go to Old Britts web site, then to the "manufactured products," then to " oil system," then down to "38-240010" you will see a picture of the gauge mounted on the top yoke. There is a stand pipe that runs from the bottom yoke through the yoke stem to the gauge. It's very neat.

Sorry about the poor quality, but I've had to use the flash as it's dusk here now.

Reggie

Postby ashman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi Reggie

Thanks for the pics, they look OK to me and probly go the same way but using the nylon lines that come with the kit for the Smiths gauge, we all have busy lives with work and not much play as those nasty bills keep coming in, and thanks to all the others as there are so many ways of running the lines and fittings, another way is to get another twin fitting that goes to the right rocker and replace the single left one with the twin fitting and put the pressure gauge hose to that side.

Thanks all

Ashley
ashman
VIP MEMBER

Postby Snorton74 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 pm

A guy in Colorado told me one time " you don't want to see the oil pressure on a commando all the time. It'll just stress you out."
Self Sponsored
Snorton74
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby ashman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 am

It don't realy worry me I just like the look of the Smiths oil gauge between the Smiths speedo and taco, a perfect match.

Ashley
ashman
VIP MEMBER

Postby RennieK » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Here's how I did mine with the "T" fitting. I used air brake hose and it pressed on with a lot of elbow grease. It hasn't deteriorated in 35 years so I guess it's ok.

RennieK

Postby DogT » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Rennie,

Don't tell me you're running that bike with those hoses? I have some Nylon 11 I'll send you for the postage. Those fuel lines look good too. I think I've seen that picture before? And didn't anyone tell you that early head steady is going to fracture?

Dave
69S
DogT
VIP MEMBER

Postby RennieK » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm

No worries Dave, this photo is of my bike that's been in storage for about 30 years. The yellow air lines stayed fresh and bright looking while I rode it back in the day. I likely rode it for 7 - 8 years with those lines and then all the while it sat there is no sign of deterioration inside, just faded colour on the outside. This was was my favorite bike but will be the last one I get back on the road. I just want to slap together a runner and then take my time with this one. I'll be changing the head steady for sure.

RennieK

Postby hobot » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Just to keep the mental oil pressure flowing over a weekend, with most away from work stations... Btw Norton did issue some Commandos with oil pressure gauges, I've never seen one, has anyone? Does blend well with oil cooler threads but Norton never offered one I know of. This of course leads right back to grade of oil and climate.

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/support ... l-pressure

http://home.clara.net/captain.norton/cnn4sec23.html

oh yeah about that 750 head steady plate... on a rather long in tooth patina Cdo.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1039685 ... 1179EVIUaq
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles