Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Here you can discuss and post Motorcycle Events.

Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby motorson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:42 pm

I just registered for the 2017 INOA Norton Rally in Buena Vista VA, July 17-21, 2017. I'm thinking of riding up the Blue Ridge Parkway starting from Blowing Rock, NC on Saturday the 15th of July. The ride would be two relatively short days (175 miles each approx) I haven't planned it any more than that. I'm sure there are plenty of hotels along the way. I'm just putting it out there to see if there are any other Norton riders who would like to make it a Norton group ride.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
motorson
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby batrider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 pm

For those going to the INOA rally, I'd like to propose 2 things:

1. Display your bike at the bike show no matter what the condition. Everyone wants to see it - how you solved problems, how it is supposed to be and not, how it survived 40 years, etc. I plan to contact the club and ask them to encourage the above. In the past I've seen so many nice bikes in the campground that never appear to at the show.

2. Would like to have an informal meeting of all Combat owners. We can exchange stories, dispel myths, and just hang out. Maybe go for a ride.

I'm signed up and paid. My wife and I are staying at some sort of hippie colony nearby.

Russ
'72 Combat Roadster 2020xx
'61 Matchless G3 350, ex-Dutch Army
'09 H-D XR1200

batrider

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby nortriubuell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 am

Yes, I registered and paid too :) The price for tent camping thru the rally site was reasonable ... but what am I getting ??? Just plot down any place you can find room ... on a big open field ... it looks like to me, ugh. :? Like in Woodstock, back in 69, summer of "Love" ??? Anyway, "52" camp sites it states, with "250" more in a "group area". :shock: ( 52 ... I think will be gone quick) And group area camping (to me) means just setup willy-nilly ... like the 2011 Empire rally was. That was OK then as I was by myself ... but with the wife I'm not so sure. We went to the 2015 Carolina Rally and that camp ground was fantastic. the "bike show" area was a bit cramped, but the rest of the camp ground made up for it IMO. I think it set a Norton rally record attendance of 535?

Just seems to me "setup" in a big area is a cluster#@%^ ... if you know what I mean. Hopefully others will "chime in ???"

I had to go thru some searches to actually get the campground, owned by the city it looks like. (why does the INOA rally site have no direct link?) Below is the camp gound link to look for your self ...

http://www.glenmaurypark.com/

As far as display of your bike in the show ... +1 with Russ 8)
70 Triumph 650 chopper
73 Norton 750 "bitsa"
74 Norton 850 project
76 Triumph w/69 650 motor
80 Kaw KZ1000
99 Buell Cyclone
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
nortriubuell
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 6

Return to Classic Motorcycle Events