Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.


Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Here you can discuss and post Motorcycle Events.

Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby motorson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:42 pm

I just registered for the 2017 INOA Norton Rally in Buena Vista VA, July 17-21, 2017. I'm thinking of riding up the Blue Ridge Parkway starting from Blowing Rock, NC on Saturday the 15th of July. The ride would be two relatively short days (175 miles each approx) I haven't planned it any more than that. I'm sure there are plenty of hotels along the way. I'm just putting it out there to see if there are any other Norton riders who would like to make it a Norton group ride.
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
motorson
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 341
View Photo Album - Images: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:56 am
Location: Waxhaw, NC

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby batrider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 pm

For those going to the INOA rally, I'd like to propose 2 things:

1. Display your bike at the bike show no matter what the condition. Everyone wants to see it - how you solved problems, how it is supposed to be and not, how it survived 40 years, etc. I plan to contact the club and ask them to encourage the above. In the past I've seen so many nice bikes in the campground that never appear to at the show.

2. Would like to have an informal meeting of all Combat owners. We can exchange stories, dispel myths, and just hang out. Maybe go for a ride.

I'm signed up and paid. My wife and I are staying at some sort of hippie colony nearby.

Russ
'72 Combat Roadster 2020xx
'61 Matchless G3 350, ex-Dutch Army
'09 H-D XR1200
User avatar

batrider
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:09 am
Location: UBE, PA USA

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby nortriubuell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 am

Yes, I registered and paid too :) The price for tent camping thru the rally site was reasonable ... but what am I getting ??? Just plot down any place you can find room ... on a big open field ... it looks like to me, ugh. :? Like in Woodstock, back in 69, summer of "Love" ??? Anyway, "52" camp sites it states, with "250" more in a "group area". :shock: ( 52 ... I think will be gone quick) And group area camping (to me) means just setup willy-nilly ... like the 2011 Empire rally was. That was OK then as I was by myself ... but with the wife I'm not so sure. We went to the 2015 Carolina Rally and that camp ground was fantastic. the "bike show" area was a bit cramped, but the rest of the camp ground made up for it IMO. I think it set a Norton rally record attendance of 535?

Just seems to me "setup" in a big area is a cluster#@%^ ... if you know what I mean. Hopefully others will "chime in ???"

I had to go thru some searches to actually get the campground, owned by the city it looks like. (why does the INOA rally site have no direct link?) Below is the camp gound link to look for your self ...

http://www.glenmaurypark.com/

As far as display of your bike in the show ... +1 with Russ 8)
70 Triumph 650 chopper
73 Norton 750 "bitsa"
74 Norton 850 project
76 Triumph w/69 650 motor
80 Kaw KZ1000
99 Buell Cyclone
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
nortriubuell
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 562
View Photo Album - Images: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:34 pm
Location: Yulee, Florida

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby Danno » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:41 am

Rode that area (mostly on the W. Va. side) a few years ago. Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob (highest point in W. Va.) and the New River Gorge Bridge are well within striking distance. The Brandywine section of US 33 is a hoot, too.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby Nortim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 am

motorson wrote:I just registered for the 2017 INOA Norton Rally in Buena Vista VA, July 17-21, 2017. I'm thinking of riding up the Blue Ridge Parkway starting from Blowing Rock, NC on Saturday the 15th of July. The ride would be two relatively short days (175 miles each approx) I haven't planned it any more than that. I'm sure there are plenty of hotels along the way. I'm just putting it out there to see if there are any other Norton riders who would like to make it a Norton group ride.


I will likely be riding up from NC. But not sure if I'd leave Saturday or Sunday, and I'd probably camp along the way.

Either way....zzz....that's what riding the BRP in summer feels like to me after 10-15 miles stuck behind a camper behind an RV behind a rubbernecking minivan. And if you do make a spirited pass, speed limits are very much enforced and national park fines suck. The BRP is a great ride on the way back, when you're tired and hungover and just want to putt along :). If you want more zing and less zzz, head up 221 to 16N (or 221 to 113 to 58W back to 16 in VA), and take 16 north all the way to Tazewell. Gets really really good between Marion and Tazewell (google Back of the Dragon). From there you've got 150-175 miles to Buena Vista with route options from easy country cruise to curvy mountain road, can't say what's best as I've not gone much farther north yet.

Nortim
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby norton73 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 am

Registered the wife and I yesterday. We are gonna cheat and trailer up, I want to get up there and enjoy the great roads in the area without a squared off rear tire from the ride up there. :D

As suggested in the previous post, after riding 16 to Tazwell, take 42 north. 55 mph speed limits, runs up the valley through farm country with just local traffic and good turns and scenery.
There's a short section missing around Pearisburg Va, if you want directions I can look them up when I get to a pc.
Loose nut holding the handlebars
User avatar

norton73
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:26 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby fencr » Fri May 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi guys..

Fyi.. There is plenty of shade to be had. The campground at Glen Maury is not limited to the field. We are able to camp throughout the park. The campground extends up the hill past the double decker pavilion behind the pool and south of the pool. Even this link below (if it comes up correctly) does not seem to fully show the campground road. That brown spot on the satellite image a bit southeast of the pool is more camping still. I realize it looks fully wooded but there's a road there and there are bath/showers there as well as on the loop behind the pool where there is also a small pavilion. There's also an interesting place to camp down between the Maury River road and the river. It's just behind that little line of trees on the park side of the river. This spot drops down a bit from the field level.

I think Asheville was 525 including visitors to the bike show. By all accounts the Atlanta chapter put on a great show and they couldn't have picked a better area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Glen+ ... 79.3648589

regards,
Marc
NCNO

fencr
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby Commandodave » Sat May 20, 2017 8:47 am

The Rally committee is aware of your concerns. Glen Maury campground is working with us to accommodate the rally. The fence around the ballfield will be removed to permit easy access. The campground is divided into two main area. Call the lower are the flat and the wooded area at the top of the hill the woods. Large RVs must be parked on the flat. There is water and electricity available at the sites. The sharp turns in the woods will not permit access for trailers over 20'. Or take a damn good driver! There are also shaded tent areas by the stream down on the flats. The entrance has a small pavilion which will be used for registration. Tent camping is primarily in the woods at the top of the hill. Bath houses are provided in both camping areas. In addition, port-a-pots will be spotted where needed.

More information (including home made videos) of the campground has been provided to the INOA for inclusion on their website.

We are doing everything possible to encourage everyone participating the the concourse on Friday afternoon. Trophys will be provided along similar lines as at Asheville. There is an internal debate about judging. Do we want to run a true concourse with preassigned judges for each class, or run the judging along the lines of that done at Asheville - each attendee voted for the top three bikes in each class. That turned it into a popularity contest. not a concourse. Some people are anal about trophys, so we are open to suggestions.

Commandodave
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby Commandodave » Sat May 20, 2017 8:51 am

Asheville was more along the lines of $45 a nite if you wanted water and electricity for a small RV. But I agree. The Atlanta chapter put on one hell of a Rally that will be a tough act to follow!

fencr wrote:Hi guys..

Fyi.. There is plenty of shade to be had. The campground at Glen Maury is not limited to the field. We are able to camp throughout the park. The campground extends up the hill past the double decker pavilion behind the pool and south of the pool. Even this link below (if it comes up correctly) does not seem to fully show the campground road. That brown spot on the satellite image a bit southeast of the pool is more camping still. I realize it looks fully wooded but there's a road there and there are bath/showers there as well as on the loop behind the pool where there is also a small pavilion. There's also an interesting place to camp down between the Maury River road and the river. It's just behind that little line of trees on the park side of the river. This spot drops down a bit from the field level.

I think Asheville was 525 including visitors to the bike show. By all accounts the Atlanta chapter put on a great show and they couldn't have picked a better area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Glen+ ... 79.3648589

regards,
Marc
NCNO

Commandodave
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby batrider » Tue May 23, 2017 3:26 am

Commandodave wrote:We are doing everything possible to encourage everyone participating the the concourse on Friday afternoon. Trophys will be provided along similar lines as at Asheville. There is an internal debate about judging. Do we want to run a true concourse with preassigned judges for each class, or run the judging along the lines of that done at Asheville - each attendee voted for the top three bikes in each class. That turned it into a popularity contest. not a concourse. Some people are anal about trophys, so we are open to suggestions.


Usually it is peoples' choice like Asheville. If you have judges, what is the standard? Most of us are not going for strict originality like they do at the AMCA meets. I don't especially care about the correct patina on my cheese-headed screws. :) I think it would reduce participation if it was run as a judged event.

Edit: My wife had an idea. Have a "Most Original" class for the rivet counters. She said she really enjoyed voting at Asheville.

Russ
'72 Combat Roadster 2020xx
'61 Matchless G3 350, ex-Dutch Army
'09 H-D XR1200
User avatar

batrider
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:09 am
Location: UBE, PA USA

Re: Norton Thunder - 2017 INOA Rally

Postby fencr » Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Guys,
Burt did a video tour of the campsite to give everyone a better idea of the layout. There is also a section of the campground that he refers to but didn't film. That's the area behind the pool. There's a map of the campground in hard copy I'll try to post but even that doesn't seem drawn to scale. The area behind the pool is shown as a picnic area with a small loop. In reality, it's bigger than that. The road is rather steep though and not suited to RVs.

Campsite tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_c-zpa ... e=youtu.be

The Bike Show is a People's Choice.

Marc
NCNO

fencr
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 am


Return to Classic Motorcycle Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests