Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Norton oil tanks and tool boxes

(120 day listing) Access Norton is not affiliated with the parts for sale in anyway. By buying anything you are working directly with the seller.

Norton oil tanks and tool boxes

Postby qside » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:14 am

I have acquired 10 or so old norton oil tanks and tool boxes in a recent parts purchase. They are for the Dominator, Atlas Commando and even one for the scrambler. I have no idea what they are worth. I did the typical ebay search but I could not find much to compare too. So that means these are either really rare or no one wants them. Can anyone give me an idea of what they are worth. I know pictures would help... I will try to get some soon.

qside

Re: Norton oil tanks and tool boxes

Postby Danno » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 am

If you can find new examples for sale, figure a good used part is worth 50% of retail. Other than that, anything's worth as much as some damn fool will pay for it.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby qside » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 am

Ya, most the new stuff is from india... not sure if the quality is the same as the original stock items.

qside

Postby motorson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:38 am

The P11 scrambler oil tank is worth some serious dollars if it is in good shape. If it is rusted out I want it!
motorson
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby qside » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:46 am

All the tanks appear to be solid. I will try to get some picks up today

qside

Postby gtsun » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 am

I would put them on EBay for $100 starting bid and see where the will go. I think if I had a Dominator and needed a good oil tank or tool box I would pay $100.00 & be happy.
gtsun
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 am

$50 for decent used oil tanks

If by toolbox you mean sidecover, they're worth as much as $75 in decent shape for metal ones, $50 for 'glass ones. They go up from there, depending on condition.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby qside » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 am

here is a link to the pix on photobucket. I am not sure how to load them on The Access Norton site. i will work on that...

http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/qside ... il%20tanks

qside

Postby grandpaul » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 pm

That's all earlier stuff, so higher value than I stated.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby Commandodave » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:26 pm

I don't know what the red toolbox and oil tank are from. I can state that they are not from a featherbed frame.

The one oil tank looks like it is from a Wideline Dommie, still in the original gray paint that looks to be original. If you have the matching battery box, they are worth at least $200 for the pair. The oil tank by itself is worth about $75 - $100. It all depends on the paint. If it is original, and in good condition (not concourse, but good enough for a daily rider) someone might pay more.

The tank above is from a wideline featherbed. The tell tale is the mount on the top of the tank (or battery box). On the wideline it is vertical, as shown. The mounting tab is longer and mounted at a 30 degree angle for slimline Atlas.

The other wideline tanks and battery boxes look to be in good condition. The one black one with the rag under the oil cap might just need a good cleaning. If so value it at $75. The other tanks with rust and chips might be worth $50. I would try to sell the mounted pair of oil tank and battery box complete with cover as a unit. I would seek $200 for the set.

Just because it is old does not make it extremely valuable. There is not a lot of demand for pre-Commando and wideline parts. Unless you are talking mudguards and petrol tanks! I know, I have both a 1960 wideline Model 50 and a 63 slimline Atlas.

The trapezoidal red tank is for a Fastback Commando.

I am personally interested in the gray wideline tank for my wideline Model 50. email me: 63atlas at comcast dot net.

Commandodave

Postby jimbo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Commandodave wrote:........

Just because it is old does not make it extremely valuable. There is not a lot of demand for pre-Commando and wideline parts. Unless you are talking mudguards and petrol tanks! I know, I have both a 1960 wideline Model 50 and a 63 slimline Atlas.

I have a Wideline fuel tank I need to sell done by Ross Thompson , I have over $1300 in it and nobody's interested in it , so I know where you are going with that :(
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby Commandodave » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 pm

jimbo wrote:
Commandodave wrote:........

I have a Wideline fuel tank I need to sell done by Ross Thompson , I have over $1300 in it and nobody's interested in it , so I know where you are going with that :(

Been there, done that! I, too have a Ross Thompson wideline tank surplus for sale. I don't have nearly the investment in mine that you have in yours! First $400 takes it.

Dave

Commandodave

Postby Paul W » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 pm

The first image (chrome) cover is off a Matchless/Norton G/N 15GS which will mate with the battery tool box in the other photograph.
1969 Commando S
1968 P11 Ranger (x2)
1966 650SS
1957 Model 30 International
1953 ES2
1939 Triumph Tiger 100
Paul W
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Return to For Sale