Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Norton vs Motad Shorties

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Norton vs Motad Shorties

Postby speirmoor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Any pictures gtnorton? BTW what map did you get and how did you load it?
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
speirmoor
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 am

Great find, GTNORTON. Don't feel bad. I paid 2 grand for the South Bay Norton long open and decatted X pipe. Yea. I got the "don't know when the decat will be made. Redesigning" too.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby LEXngton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:47 pm

gtnorton wrote:Hey Guys, new owner of a awesome Cafe Racer MKII. When I bought my bike, I had to search far and wide for exhausts as the Norton factory didn't have any in stock and Callum Doyle said they were a month and 1/2 lead time but was very vague about that even (nice guy but just had no solid answers as did anyone else - to get some long opens made (not Motads-the "in house" made Norton new ones) and had no real time frame or idea on when they could make me a decat midpipe. My bike was brand new acquired in June and I couldn't wait all summer on the factory's vagueness/lead time and NO ONE in the UK (Krazy Horse - Phil - super good guy, all dealers), Canada or the USA had any Motad or Norton pipes made of anything in stock. So, I kept searching and searching every country that had Norton dealers and hunted down a set of mid pipe Motad decats & long open Motads - in Australia at Fraser Motorcycles Norton/Ducati. A great guy by the name of Eduardo helped me there. As of July 11th, they had 27 sets, YES 27 sets! of "long open Motads" in stock ready to ship and 3 sets of "decat Motad mid pipes". It took 1 week shipping to the Midwest/USA via DHL and got hung up at the end of the shipment leg at the DHL hub because I had to pay $55 USD duty to release the package. If you buy a set from them make sure you phone DHL's main service number when your package arrives at the last hub and pay the duty tax over the phone, a day later they will release the package to your house or installer/dealer...and nowhere on their site when tracking tells you to do this! Anyways, hope this helps! I needed help to find some pipes and Fraser Motorcycles helped me out and were great to deal with, Eduardo took care of all the import export paperwork, etc., everything via email. Good luck...and the Motad long open pipes & decat mid-pipe sound amazing! Not crazy loud but very tasteful - really a beautiful sound similar to a vintage Norton, don't get me wrong the shorties are amazing too, but either won't disappoint - my opinion! Have a good one! P.S., I paid around $1700 USD (UGGH NOT CHEAP!) for the setup and Eduardo had sent me a custom map. It came out to be 200-300 more than if I had acquired them from the UK as shipping from Austrailia and export duty that has to be covered by law there made it a little more expensive, worth it I guess as there wasn't many options for me then! Also, there are no quality blunders with these Motads, they look really clean and nice, just like the stock pipes, but they roar and sound like a Norton should!

How did you load to your own ECU the custom map that Eduardo sent to you?

LEXngton

Postby gtnorton » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Sorry for the delayed response guys, Eduardo had sent me a map he said was proper for my setup, not sure if it was "custom" (I may have mis-spoke). The bike starts great, runs nice. Smells a bit more fuel rich / uncapped / stinky like it should be - like my buddies Ducati without a cat + Termignonis. My dealer loaded it for me, it is the following map:

65001013 Commando 961 AM R3.OMEX 630.01N31

Although my dealer didn't state whether they used that actual map or another, this was the one given to me by Eduardo upon purchase that I had forwarded on. Sorry Im trying to load photos, but I can say they look like exact replicas of the OEM standard I believe Motad made pipes - my bike is a 2016. The hole in the back of them (opening is a little larger in diameter).

gtnorton

Postby gtnorton » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Britfan60 wrote:Great find, GTNORTON. Don't feel bad. I paid 2 grand for the South Bay Norton long open and decatted X pipe. Yea. I got the "don't know when the decat will be made. Redesigning" too.

Not cheap with our exotic bikes, but it is worth it! Have a good one!

gtnorton

Postby gtnorton » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Motad Long Open Pipes With Decat Mid Pipe Motads, look stock, but sound purdyyyy!

gtnorton

Postby Britfan60 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 am

Those are lovely.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby LEXngton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:23 pm

gtnorton wrote:Image

Motad Long Open Pipes With Decat Mid Pipe Motads, look stock, but sound purdyyyy!

Yes those rock!

GTNorton, how did you get in touch with them at Fraser Motorcycles Norton/Ducati???

LEXngton

Postby Britfan60 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Seems dissatisfaction with a subpar product is no longer allowed. Buyer beware. LOVE those Motads though.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:59 am

Britfan60 wrote:Seems dissatisfaction with a subpar product is no longer allowed. Buyer beware.

Is this in reference to Jerry's latest message? I am a little confused about it. It sounds as though he's referring to sales between members. Or should we also be careful to not bash Norton? If so, I accept that we should be more careful about venting and not taking it to an extreme. But expressing our dissatisfaction is just natural when the situation rises to a certain level. Doing so without having all the information would be wrong, sure. Whatever.

How' are you healing, by the way? Are you riding more by now?

Peter
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 9

Postby L.A.B. » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:48 am

contours wrote:
Britfan60 wrote:Seems dissatisfaction with a subpar product is no longer allowed. Buyer beware.

Is this in reference to Jerry's latest message? I am a little confused about it. It sounds as though he's referring to sales between members.

Yes, a couple of threads were deleted which might have given rise to some confusion but it was basically one member voicing his dissatisfaction and making an accusation regarding something he bought from another member in the 'For Sale' section which is a private matter between the persons concerned and NOT forum business.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby contours » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:58 am

Okay, got it. :wink: Thanks LAB.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
contours
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you for that explanation. Thought by me being displeased the the product I purchased and then returning it (backed up with photos for opinion) that I may have been the guilty party. Had trouble understanding the slander part of it all. Anyway, all is good. Kevin French is shipping me a clutch cover!! Yay. No, Countours, haven't been riding much. Still having knee pain. I guess I can risk it, but with kick start only at the moment, better to just take it easy. I've decided to just get my parts from Norton and put them on myself. The dealer can kiss my ass.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:07 am

Britfan60 wrote:I've decided to just get my parts from Norton and put them on myself. The dealer can kiss my ass.

:lol:
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
contours
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:53 am

Have you boys seen these ones for sale? Look like a bargain given the lack of supply currently:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-Comman ... SwuiNZqFa6
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles