Norton Mirrors

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Norton Mirrors

Postby warpedscout » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:53 pm

I currently have the napoleon bar end mirrors on my bike and would rather have the original style that came on the bike. Bike looks like a steer with funky horns to me! I have seen a few on Flea Bay but keep missing the auctions. Any suggestions on a vendor for these or anyone have a set laying around they want to get rid of at a decent price?

Thanks
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
warpedscout
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 3

Re: Norton Mirrors

Postby swooshdave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:10 pm

warpedscout wrote:I currently have the napoleon bar end mirrors on my bike and would rather have the original style that came on the bike. Bike looks like a steer with funky horns to me! I have seen a few on Flea Bay but keep missing the auctions. Any suggestions on a vendor for these or anyone have a set laying around they want to get rid of at a decent price?

Thanks

If you want to get rid of the bar end mirrors let me know.

swooshdave

Postby Lorenzo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 pm

warpedscout wrote:I currently have the napoleon bar end mirrors on my bike and would rather have the original style that came on the bike. Bike looks like a steer with funky horns to me! I have seen a few on Flea Bay but keep missing the auctions. Any suggestions on a vendor for these or anyone have a set laying around they want to get rid of at a decent price?

Thanks

do you have some kind of picture to understand what you're looking for? :wink:

Lorenzo

Postby KSUWildcatFan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm modifying a set of bar-end mirrors from Commando Specialties to fit the stock mounts. I think they look great mounted like that.

Just a thought.
1973 Norton Commando 850 rebuild underway! -- My first Norton! :D

KSUWildcatFan

Postby hobot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Yeah mirrors are about the only think I don't want factory on Trixie. Looks mod scooter long horn cattle ears.

I like the universal tear drop mirror on short stalks in non-metric size like fits HD's and hang them under the bars, as swooh found works a treat both in profile and rear views.

I drilled out the front brake hole up use stalk as pivot but don't over tighten or can interfere with lever return and way less brake effect. Things snatch at my bar ends often enough I never gave them a second though.
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby warpedscout » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Would like original or something decent looking that uses stock mounting points. Just not liking the bar ends.
warpedscout
VIP MEMBER

Postby KSUWildcatFan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Just FYI, here's a quick mockup of what mine looked like as I was getting everything lined up:

-Jordan

KSUWildcatFan

Postby warpedscout » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Nice setup KSU, that is something I could deal with. What are you using to makes them and the mounting points? Swoosh, once I get a replacement I will get with you. The right one does have some road rash from my first attempt to ride the beast before I tamed her somewhat. **edit** Now that I looked again are those napoleons that you just bolted through existing holes?
warpedscout
VIP MEMBER

Postby KSUWildcatFan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-Ba ... 4841bd779f

See how the bolt is threaded through? We cut off the bottom collar, ground it smooth, and ran a button-head allen bolt through the stock mirror location.

IIRC, the bolt was 3/8" fine thread, approx 1.5" long (nylock at the bottom) for clutch side and 1" for brake side.

I was just going to use them as intended, as bar-end mirrors, but I didn't want to hack up my brand new grips.

-Jordan

KSUWildcatFan

Postby hobot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:21 pm

I want to see the mirror that showed a crack in it.

Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby batrider » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:11 am

Dunno - Were there really factory mirrors? When my bike was new the dealer asked if I wanted mirrors and put on 2 pretty large rectangular ones that clamped to the bars. Damned ugly. They came off as soon as I got the bike home and I got a single Stadium bar end mirror.

batrider

Postby L.A.B. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:21 am

batrider wrote:Were there really factory mirrors?

Certainly from 1973-on, although they may well have been supplied as an optional extra for some markets at first?

http://www.classicbike.biz/Norton/Broch ... LineUp.pdf
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby batrider » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 am

OK good to know. Mine's a '72 which didn't have the threaded mounting boss on the master cylinder yet. But it has a through hole for a mirror on the clutch side.

batrider

Postby ZFD » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:26 am

Mirror with stem. Andover Norton part# 06-4102/3. See http://www.nortonmotors.de/ANIL/Norton% ... 25&Part=36

ZFD

Postby Spaulding » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:58 pm

I have the set from Andover Norton and like them just fine. They look just like the originals in my spares box minus the rust and pitting. Good quality as usual from AN.
Spaulding
California
1974 Commando 850

Spaulding

Next

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles